Hand Planes...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Re: Hand Planes...

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:27 pm
JMG wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:47 pm
I found my grandfather's Bailey #5.

It's not in too good a shape.

You should try this website out and find out the date for that plane: https://woodandshop.com/identify-stanle ... ype-study/
Thanks for the site. My plane appears to be a ...

Results: Type 11 Stanley Bailey Hand Plane (1910-1918). Cool.
Very.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:53 am

Thanks for the link!
Mine's type 15, 1931-1932
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:08 am

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:53 am
Thanks for the link!
I love seeing old tools like these still kicking.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:59 am

JMG wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:08 am
Hovannes wrote:
Thanks for the link!
Gabriel hooked me up with a FB group to buy and sell old tools. (I don't know what in the world would make a guy want to sell his old tools but that's a topic for another day.) I had to leave it because my willpower is weak and I don't remember the name of it now, but those guys have some seriously cool stuff.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:39 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:59 am
JMG wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thanks for the link!
Gabriel hooked me up with a FB group to buy and sell old tools. (I don't know what in the world would make a guy want to sell his old tools but that's a topic for another day.) I had to leave it because my willpower is weak and I don't remember the name of it now, but those guys have some seriously cool stuff.
Best I stay far away. I’m sure I would be convincing myself that I “need” this or that.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:11 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:39 am
FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:59 am
JMG wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thanks for the link!
Best I stay far away. I’m sure I would be convincing myself that I “need” this or that.
I did a count a while back. I have more than 25 hammers I could easily lay my hands on that day in the garage without digging around in the truck or the camper.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:48 pm

The Frog on my #5 was packed full of grease.
Is it supposed to be like that?
Or was it a precaution taken for long term storage?

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 am

None of my planes are packed with grease, nothing that can contaminate the wood. I’d say it was meant to be a preservative.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:02 am

Tapatalk is being dumb, I’ll have to post later
Sola Deo Gloria

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:40 pm

My #5 Bailey has a great deal of surface rust, too much for sandpaper (and for some curious reason, both wet and dry and Garnet paper is unobtainable locally) so I hauled out the big guns---a grinder with a wire wheel---to take off the rust.
I am not a grinder enthusiast but my dad, a dental technician by trade, was and left me two motors packed away in the garage.
A very high end Baldor, which was the hardest to reach, and a General Electric motor that looked home cobbled up, nailed to a 2x6 chunk of wood which I was able to reach with little effort.
So the GE it was.
BTW my dad would never call these grinders, he'd call them lathes, which is dental techspeak for grinders
I asked him once how you put a piece of wood in one and he smiled, replying "Son, we haven't made false teeth out of wood since George Washington's time" :lol:

Anyway, the wire wheel did a fine job getting the rust off :D
Yes, I wore eye protection----3M OTG I picked up from the ACE yesterday.
I wiped the Stanley down with 3 in 1 to keep it from rusting until I can find some garnet paper to flatten out the soul and the iron, and set about cleaning up the GE lathe to put back in the garage and the more I cleaned it up, the more I was impressed. It took half a can of aerosol Nitro Solvent to remove the solidified oil from the case.
I've been trying to use up my aerosol solvents as I don't care much for breathing them---fortunately I was working outdoors on the patio table.

One of the bearings was, through the housing, warm to the touch, so I added some 3 in 1 as that's what I had on hand.
I cleaned of the data plate to I could read the details. t turns out that it is a 1/3hp thermal protected utility motor, 1,725 rpm 5.6amp made in 'murica.
Cool! 8)

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:18 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:40 pm
My #5 Bailey has a great deal of surface rust, too much for sandpaper (and for some curious reason, both wet and dry and Garnet paper is unobtainable locally) so I hauled out the big guns---a grinder with a wire wheel---to take off the rust.
I am not a grinder enthusiast but my dad, a dental technician by trade, was and left me two motors packed away in the garage.
A very high end Baldor, which was the hardest to reach, and a General Electric motor that looked home cobbled up, nailed to a 2x6 chunk of wood which I was able to reach with little effort.
So the GE it was.
BTW my dad would never call these grinders, he'd call them lathes, which is dental techspeak for grinders
I asked him once how you put a piece of wood in one and he smiled, replying "Son, we haven't made false teeth out of wood since George Washington's time" :lol:

Anyway, the wire wheel did a fine job getting the rust off :D
Yes, I wore eye protection----3M OTG I picked up from the ACE yesterday.
I wiped the Stanley down with 3 in 1 to keep it from rusting until I can find some garnet paper to flatten out the soul and the iron, and set about cleaning up the GE lathe to put back in the garage and the more I cleaned it up, the more I was impressed. It took half a can of aerosol Nitro Solvent to remove the solidified oil from the case.
I've been trying to use up my aerosol solvents as I don't care much for breathing them---fortunately I was working outdoors on the patio table.

One of the bearings was, through the housing, warm to the touch, so I added some 3 in 1 as that's what I had on hand.
I cleaned of the data plate to I could read the details. t turns out that it is a 1/3hp thermal protected utility motor, 1,725 rpm 5.6amp made in 'murica.
Cool! 8)
Some 60-100 grit on a piece of granite or glass will do wonders for the flattening the sole. It's a little extra work, but I've used that method successfully. Looking forward to seeing yours finished up. Be sure to take some pics along the way.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am

A few from “my” collection:

These are the ones that get used and that I try to keep decently sharp, a tedious undertaking with some this old iron.
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:20 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am
A few from “my” collection:

These are the ones that get used and that I try to keep decently sharp, a tedious undertaking with some this old iron.
Very nice.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo