A Moment In Time With Del...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

A Moment In Time With Del...

Post by JMG » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 pm

I had the esteemed privileged today of meeting the one and only, Del (sans the kilt) and his lovely bride as they passed through my neck of the woods down to coonass country. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. It's been my experience that CPS has a way of lending perceptions of its members as seen through a technicolor lens...one that's a bit foggy...and distorted by the hands of a marginally novice glazier. What I found was a particularly pleasant, funny, and all-around easy to talk to and hang out with guy.

Our couple hours started off by meeting at the Country Squire. Del was fortunate enough to find a house tobacco blend that seemed to suit him nicely, and a local'ish beer to accompany it. "Not hoppy," he said. I, on the other hand, took the hoppiest thing I could find. We had a smoke and stories outside on the patio. Things were going wonderfully up until this point, but it was then, upon my recommendation of a place to eat in Louisianan, that things began to sour.

After mentioning the name of the restaurant, Del immediately began to inquire of its whereabouts. To which I obliged him with an answer........only my answer was found to be unsatisfactory. Hurriedly, at first, Del began to converse with Siri as to the "real" location of this eatery. "That can't be right," he mutters in my direction, but not actually at me directly. "I've been there a few times personally. I assure you that's where it is," I offer in attempts to quell his growing anxiety. "THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT!" he exclaimed. Though this time while staring directly at me...no...through me. Clear through into my soul, he stared. The air temperature rose easily by two degrees simply from the friction created by the frantic movement of his fingers across the screen of his phone. Hands shaking. Zooming in on the map. "That's nothing but a lake. It' can't be!" he continued. With heart felt concern for Del's emotional state, I phoned my father, and with it on speaker I asked him where that particular restaurant was located. He proceeded to confirm my original statement. "A lake...nothing but a lake...it can't be...my precious"

Though unconvinced, Del did a fine job of tucking away his obvious desire to strangle me with his belt. This may have been simply because I had promised him some BBQ, maybe the non-hoppy brew had begun to calm him down. I only know that whatever the reason, I am thankful for it as I was, for a brief moment, but "brief" in the sense that it is spanned only a second but seemed to stretch out for years over that single second, I feared for my life.

From the Squire we took off to a local BBQ joint where along the way, Del, who was obviously not at all trusting of my navigation skills, proceeded to pass me and drive in the wrong direction. By God's grace I was able to steer him back on course and we were pulling into the parking lot in about 5 minutes...not the 15 that his gps had told him. Del and I both had pork belly and collar green sandwiches, while his wife opted for a more traditional brisket. Not the greatest restaurant, but not bad either. I will say this though, it was all made to be a top notch afternoon due to the fantastic company.

Del, it was a pleasure. I wish I could have stuck around longer.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Re: A Moment In Time With Del...

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:02 pm

JMG wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 pm
I had the esteemed privileged today of meeting the one and only, Del oh. i am all about this option. bring it! (sans the kilt) wait. fake del meet up? dude. really?? and his lovely bride she is, isnt she? as they passed through my neck of the woods down to coonass country. I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect.how long have you been on cps? It's been my experience that CPS has a way of lending perceptions of its members as seen through a technicolor lens...one that's a bit foggy...and distorted by the hands of a marginally novice glazier. lay off the acid duder What I found was a particularly pleasant, funny, and all-around easy to talk to and hang out with guy. well, duh

Our couple hours started off by meeting at the Country Squire. Del was fortunate enough to find a house tobacco blend that seemed to suit him nicely, and a local'ish beer to accompany it. "Not hoppy," he said. I don't have a confirm or deny of said hoppiness in my del meet-up notes I, on the other hand, took the hoppiest thing I could find. We had a smoke and stories outside on the patio. Things were going wonderfully up until this point, but it was then, upon my recommendation of a place to eat in Louisianan, that things began to sour.

After mentioning the name of the restaurant, Del immediately began to inquire of its whereabouts.OK. You met with del. no further evidence needed. Thank you for your due diligence in this area To which I obliged him with an answer........only my answer was found to be unsatisfactory. Hurriedly, at first, Del began to converse with Siri as to the "real" location of this eatery. "That can't be right," he mutters in my direction, but not actually at me directly. "I've been there a few times personally. I assure you that's where it is," I offer in attempts to quell his growing anxiety. "THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT!" he exclaimed. Though this time while staring directly at me...no...through me. Clear through into my soul, he stared. The air temperature rose easily by two degrees simply from the friction created by the frantic movement of his fingers across the screen of his phone. Hands shaking. Zooming in on the map. "That's nothing but a lake. It' can't be!" he continued. With heart felt concern for Del's emotional state, I phoned my father, and with it on speaker I asked him where that particular restaurant was located. He proceeded to confirm my original statement. "A lake...nothing but a lake...it can't be...my precious" This is the most riveting post I have ever yellow thread bombed

Though unconvinced, Del did a fine job of tucking away his obvious desire to strangle me with his belt. yer really lucky there was no del kilt. He's got ninja stuff in those pockets This may have been simply because I had promised him some BBQ, what sort of BBQ? NC Summer's Eve scent or real Texas Briscuite? maybe the non-hoppy brew had begun to calm him down. I only know that whatever the reason, I am thankful for it as I was, for a brief moment, but "brief" in the sense that it is spanned only a second but seemed to stretch out for years over that single second, I feared for my life. holy cow, batman! did you piss off mrs. del?!?!

From the Squire we took off to a local BBQ joint where along the way, Del, who was obviously not at all trusting of my navigation skills, proceeded to pass me and drive in the wrong direction. I have never traveled with del in anything other than my shoes. By God's grace I was able to steer him back on course and we were pulling into the parking lot in about 5 minutes...not the 15 that his gps had told him. Del and I both had pork belly and collar green sandwiches, that really sounds disgusting while his wife opted for a more traditional brisket.she's got a good head on her shoulders Not the greatest restaurant, but not bad either. dude, it's del I will say this though, it was all made to be a top notch afternoon due to the fantastic company. dude, it's del

Del, it was a pleasure. I wish I could have stuck around longer.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
DL Jake

You should see if they can recalibrate your internal clock forward a month. - Cleon

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:19 pm

Very nice! I'm kind of hoping they'll detour over this way on their way back if possible.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:57 am

I'd watch a movie about time traveling Del.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:32 am

I'd never pass up an opportunity to share a beer and cigars (or pipe) with Del. Good times! :D
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 am

Sounds like a great TV show for Saturday afternoon viewing. "On the Road With Del" is brought to you by The Friends of PBS. I can already here the theme song in my head.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20 am

:chili:

CPS meetup threads are the best
JMG wrote:
I had the esteemed privileged today of meeting the one and only, Del (sans the kilt)
He was Donald Duck-ing it!? 8O
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:52 am

nice
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:19 am

In my defense, JMG insisted that the specified restaurant was located half-way along the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway.

We all know what an upstanding guy JMG is.... but I've never met yet a true Son of the South who could resist pulling a Yankee's leg.

I don't mind, though. Everyone in the Deep South is so gosh darned friendly. I love it here!
Last edited by Del on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:28 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20 am

JMG wrote:
I had the esteemed privileged today of meeting the one and only, Del (sans the kilt)
*little chuckle*
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 am
Sounds like a great TV show for Saturday afternoon viewing. "On the Road With Del" is brought to you by The Friends of PBS. I can already here the theme song in my head.
Off topic, but I can't tell you guys how disappointed I am at the CPS Grammar Nazi faction. Seriously.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:29 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20 am

JMG wrote:
My spirit animal is....

G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:43 pm

Good guy, that Del. I miss hanging with Del and the rest of you hooligans at the Chicago Pipe Show. I've never met the missus but she must be a saint to have married and stuck with, Del. :signofcross: :lol:
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Had I wonderful time with Del, His wife and Pipeson (I believe) got out all my tobac stuff including my hookahs, fun night.
They were visiting family in Marshall MO and stopped by. Hope to do it again sometime.
edm
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech
Right wing Conservative and proud of it

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:35 pm

I avoid Del. He just wants my Chili recipe.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:43 pm
Good guy, that Del. I miss hanging with Del and the rest of you hooligans at the Chicago Pipe Show. I've never met the missus but she must be a saint to have married and stuck with, Del. :signofcross: :lol:
Living with a saint is not as easy as one might imagine.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:35 pm
I could plan our next vacation to visit Texas.

Or you could send me a PM.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:38 pm

mustangii wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:13 pm
Had I wonderful time with Del, His wife and Pipeson (I believe) got out all my tobac stuff including my hookahs, fun night.
They were visiting family in Marshall MO and stopped by. Hope to do it again sometime.
edm
Cigarson was there, around 2011 I believe. New Year's Eve, or New Year's Day. My niece was getting married in Harrisonville.

I still play with snuff sometimes, but I haven't gotten the habit. I'd like to, but it's a bit messy for me.

It was a joy meeting Judy. I'm so proud of her. She's a real pro-life soldier, working the front line at a Pregnancy Center.

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:40 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:35 pm
I could plan our next vacation to visit Texas.

Or you could send me a PM.
You come to Texas and the recipe is yours.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 pm

Nice!
Sola Deo Gloria