Proud dad brag...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses

Re: Proud dad brag...

Post by ReverendThom » Sat May 22, 2021 11:32 pm

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Sun May 23, 2021 11:00 am

:thumbsup:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

TheShepherd
Usher
Usher

Post by TheShepherd » Tue May 25, 2021 3:24 am

Del wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:35 pm
JMG wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:49 am
Del wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:58 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:41 am
Impressive indeed!
They obviously take after their Mother. :-)
And they ate the right kind of bugs.

Perhaps the bugs were radioactive from all of the thermonuclear tests in the Pacific.

Now they got superpowers.
I'm hoping it's one of those "Gets a full scholarship" superpowers.
I no longer encourage parents to send their kids to secular university, but God may have special plans for your daughters.
Right, they've only been around since... the 18th Century or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_pu ... ted_States

Not to mention the practical differences in both "public" and "private" funding and the various competing interests.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue May 25, 2021 5:35 am

TheShepherd wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:24 am
Del wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:35 pm
JMG wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:49 am
Del wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:58 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:41 am
Impressive indeed!
They obviously take after their Mother. :-)
And they ate the right kind of bugs.

Perhaps the bugs were radioactive from all of the thermonuclear tests in the Pacific.

Now they got superpowers.
I'm hoping it's one of those "Gets a full scholarship" superpowers.
I no longer encourage parents to send their kids to secular university, but God may have special plans for your daughters.
Right, they've only been around since... the 18th Century or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_pu ... ted_States

Not to mention the practical differences in both "public" and "private" funding and the various competing interests.
I'm not sure what the age of the universities has to do with anything. It's kinda not surprising that the oldest universities in America is just about as old as America.

It's not about funding, either. Many of the Catholic universities are just as secular as (or even worse than) the public universities.

The Catholic college closest to me has a "Women's and Gender Studies" program -- and it is the exact opposite of helping women develop into the most commonly desired vocation for women in every age and culture -- as happy wives and mothers.
(Check this out -- one of the featured lecturers is proudly wearing her biggest Wiccan earrings.)

I'm talking about the folly of immersing our children -- whom we have raised so carefully and with much loving formation -- into a deeply toxic cultural environment. If you love your children, don't do it!
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

TheShepherd
Usher
Usher

Post by TheShepherd » Sat May 29, 2021 11:13 pm

Del wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:35 am
It's not about funding, either. Many of the Catholic universities are just as secular as (or even worse than) the public universities.

The Catholic college closest to me has a "Women's and Gender Studies" program -- and it is the exact opposite of helping women develop into the most commonly desired vocation for women in every age and culture -- as happy wives and mothers.
I'm not seeing the mutual exclusivity here, today or in the past.

Marie Curie was a distinguished intellectual, she also had children.

Lyudmila Pavlichenko was a distinguished servicewoman in WWII - she also married and had children.

If anything, I'd think that people who are well-developed in life as a whole person would be better at raising children.

Whilst among lower socio-economic brackets, child abuse, neglect and parenting issues are likely more rampant (given that on some level, the pure visceral drive to have children will still be there, even if the person is otherwise mentally or emotionally underqualified to raise children well).

(Check this out -- one of the featured lecturers is proudly wearing her biggest Wiccan earrings.)
I'd be shocked if more that 1% of students would enroll in something as idiosyncratic as that (I'm also not entirely sure what "gender studies" is to begin with, but the popular media narrative is that it's associated with radical, disaffected, identarian politics).

I don't see how the minor theoretical existence of that in a college which probably has 1000s of enrolles would directly affect a person who majors in, er, accounting, or business.
I'm talking about the folly of immersing our children -- whom we have raised so carefully and with much loving formation -- into a deeply toxic cultural environment. If you love your children, don't do it!
I don't exactly think that people are made of glass.

If someone like Lyudmila Pavlichenko could survive being killed by 300 Nazi soldiers, and still make time to marry and start a family, I have a hard time viewing the exitance of controversial subject matter very much in comparison (especially given how easily sensationalist, fearmongering propaganda in the mass media sells, by virtue of preying upon people's fears and exaggerations).

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun May 30, 2021 5:20 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:13 pm
Del wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:35 am

I'm not seeing the mutual exclusivity here, today or in the past.

Marie Curie was a distinguished intellectual, she also had children.

Lyudmila Pavlichenko was a distinguished servicewoman in WWII - she also married and had children.

If anything, I'd think that people who are well-developed in life as a whole person would be better at raising children.

Whilst among lower socio-economic brackets, child abuse, neglect and parenting issues are likely more rampant (given that on some level, the pure visceral drive to have children will still be there, even if the person is otherwise mentally or emotionally underqualified to raise children well).

I'd be shocked if more that 1% of students would enroll in something as idiosyncratic as that (I'm also not entirely sure what "gender studies" is to begin with, but the popular media narrative is that it's associated with radical, disaffected, identarian politics).

I don't see how the minor theoretical existence of that in a college which probably has 1000s of enrolles would directly affect a person who majors in, er, accounting, or business.
I don't exactly think that people are made of glass.

If someone like Lyudmila Pavlichenko could survive being killed by 300 Nazi soldiers, and still make time to marry and start a family, I have a hard time viewing the exitance of controversial subject matter very much in comparison (especially given how easily sensationalist, fearmongering propaganda in the mass media sells, by virtue of preying upon people's fears and exaggerations).
You seem to believe that universities help young people prepare for careers.

It is true that many people get into STEM and accounting and finance, or learn some useful healthcare skills, and come out with useful career skills.

But it takes a wise young adult to navigate the university environment and avoid the wash of marxist indoctrination.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Sun May 30, 2021 6:42 pm

I know a young family where are the woman is the breadwinner and the man stays home and takes care of the kids. The kids are well-adjusted can the husband and wife seem happy. I don't think this makes him any less of a man.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sun May 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:42 pm
I know a young family where are the woman is the breadwinner and the man stays home and takes care of the kids. The kids are well-adjusted can the husband and wife seem happy. I don't think this makes him any less of a man.
Shoot...I wish my wife had a job that let me stay home and work our little acreage and do woodworking. I'd be fine with that so long as she was happy too.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

TheShepherd
Usher
Usher

Post by TheShepherd » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:34 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Any specific circumstances there, or was it purely a preference?

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:03 am

Can we all get back to gushing about how awesome JMG's girls are?

These kids were home-schooled in a jungle with barely enough electricity to have some internet, and now they are running circles of genius around their American peers -- kids who were lavished with privilege their whole lives.

I have a feeling that the JMG kids know how to focus on what they are doing -- and no one ever told them that they shouldn't.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:30 am

Del wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:03 am

These kids were home-schooled in a jungle with barely enough electricity to have some internet, and now they are running circles of genius around their American peers -- kids who were lavished with privilege their whole lives.

I have a feeling that the JMG kids know how to focus on what they are doing -- and no one ever told them that they shouldn't.
We never had internet or cell service in the tribe, just when we would go out to town for break. I say this just to brag on my girls more.

I really am blessed beyond measure by my family. I’m a turd, and they are just the best.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:13 pm

JMG wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:30 am
Del wrote:

We never had internet or cell service in the tribe, just when we would go out to town for break. I say this just to brag on my girls more.

I really am blessed beyond measure by my family. I’m a turd, and they are just the best.
Every time the topic of home-schooling comes up, I'm telling the story about the redneck missionary who raised three girl geniuses without technology, in a primitive jungle village.

I won't mention they got bitten by radioactive superbugs, or vice-versa.

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:34 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
The lady of the house does online medical billing and apparently makes more than her husband who is a mechanic. They home school 4 young children and apparently think the father staying home is more important than a second paycheck. Works for them.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm
TheShepherd wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:34 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
The lady of the house does online medical billing and apparently makes more than her husband who is a mechanic. They home school 4 young children and apparently think the father staying home is more important than a second paycheck. Works for them.
There's no reason why this shouldn't work very well, if they want it to.
=====================================

The feminist dogmas were wrong from the beginning, even though they dominate our modern culture.

The feminists insisted that marriage was an unfair economic arrangement:
- WORK meant power and money and enriching experiences outside of the home.
- HOME meant menial slavery.
- And CHILDREN were a burden to women.

This is the only way that a culture of epidemic divorce and abortion makes sense. Both were viewed as ways to "balance the inequality of power" that feminists imagined.

In return for their independence, modern women get to be impoverished single moms and/or wage slaves, and children are left to raise themselves under the indoctrination of government schools.

The reality is that husbands and wives have always worked together, doing whatever it took to keep the family thriving.
-- For millennia, this meant Mom and Dad and all the kids, working on their farm together.
-- In the Industrial Age, we got used to seeing a father forced to labor outside of the home in order to provide for his family.
-- With the wealth of education and opportunities available now, we should expect to see a great variety of ways for families to provide and care for their homes and children.

Except that modern Western society has forgotten why marriage is sacred, and we've given up on the institution of families. It's a social disease.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:27 pm

Glad to see that they are taking after Mom in more than just their looks.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:59 pm

Del wrote:
Sounds good to me.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:04 am

JMG wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:03 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Shoot...I wish my wife had a job that let me stay home and work our little acreage and do woodworking. I'd be fine with that so long as she was happy too.
It's very common, among the many farm and ranch families I know, for the wife to have a job "in town". Primarily for the health insurance benefits, but also as a hedge against the down years that seem to hit ag every few years.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

TheShepherd
Usher
Usher

Post by TheShepherd » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:06 am

Del wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 5:20 pm
You seem to believe that universities help young people prepare for careers.
Well not just that.

Del wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:19 pm
The feminist dogmas were wrong from the beginning, even though they dominate our modern culture.
"Feminism", particularly on social media, is just a buzzword which can potentially mean 1000s of different things by the ways its used.

The feminists insisted that marriage was an unfair economic arrangement:
- WORK meant power and money and enriching experiences outside of the home.
"Power and money" are rather insipid and meaningless terms which get lost on the general public.

"Power" merely means the ability to influence people in some way or another - "money" is simply a medium of influencing people that expedites these transactions (e.x. as opposed to bartering or haggling).

So no, "power and money" wouldn't be "ends in and of themselves", they would simply be means to the end of influencing someone. (Much as there is also no inherent difference in "influencing" someone merely on the basis of the physical proximity being different, such as "inside/outside" dichotomies.

For that matter, I think if most people could achieve "enriching or actualizing" experience inside the home (such as running a non-profit business from there home), they would prefer to do that, and would only travel "outside the home" if it was a necessity. (Given that the majority of time and expenses are spent inside one's home, with "outside" activities like vacations only amounting to a handful of hours every fee years or so).

- HOME meant menial slavery.
There is no inherent difference between "work" regardless of what physical location the "work" takes place. Much as the alleged "meniality" of work isn't predicated on its physical location either.

Work is just some combination of mental and physical exertion (or in the sense of "employment", some voluntary contract which a person elects to enter into).

So the false inside/outside dichotomy is full of holes to begin with.
- And CHILDREN were a burden to women.
The reality is that the production of children, if the individuals in question don't have reasonable qualifications to raise them, such as financial, mental, moral, and so on - are a burden, not specifically to women, but society as a whole.

Part of this is just the simple reality that the "primal" urge to procreate is still there - to the point that almost anyone can "make a baby" - even if the higher qualities to be a good or responsible parent are absent. (This is likely why every society from ancient to modern had some means of "population control" or ensuring a modicum of parental qualifications):

This is the only way that a culture of epidemic divorce and abortion makes sense.
Divorce (or "annulment" if someone prefers that) whether "official" or "de facto" - if often a good thing, particularly in regards to preventing domestic violence, rape, child molestation, drug addiction, and other adversarial conditions - though some selfishly just prefer to avoid talking about thinks like this...

Likewise, your vague reference to "abortion" doesn't distinguish between different stages of development in pregnancy, so this leaves open to debate whether or not the concerns about "abortion" are specifically about "life", or whether they are just objections or fears to what some negative cultural side-effect of abortion might be.
In return for their independence, modern women get to be impoverished single moms and/or wage slaves,
Well no, being an impoverished single mom is the antithesis of independence, and simply the result of reckless procreation (which is why higher abortion rates tend to corelate with lower socio-economic circumstances).

And if you aren't going to illuminate what makes "wage slavery" different from any other form of work or employment, beyond perhaps a "state of mind", then that ambiguous designation doesn't give much to go on.
and children are left to raise themselves under the indoctrination of government schools.
"Church and state" have been somewhat integral historically - you haven't specified what makes one form of "indoctrination" any different than any other form indoctrination that might otherwise be available to that paltry level of learning (given that most meaningful knowledge isn't "taught", or capable of being "taught to begin with - it's rather learned, deduced or experienced from the world as a whole).

Similarly "government" is just a buzzword, and doesn't specify why the idea of "government" is corelated to the negative situations you're referring to, or for that matter, how any form of "governance" - whether by an actual "state", or on the private or familial level is inherently different than any other, beyond the party who is doing said "governing".
The reality is that husbands and wives have always worked together, doing whatever it took to keep the family thriving.
Right, and much of that since it was just born out of hardscrabble and survivalism rather than quality (meaning that things, such as abortions, prostitution, and such would have also been associated with it. So it wouldn't be any different

[quote[
-- For millennia, this meant Mom and Dad and all the kids, working on their farm together.
[/quote]
No, go back to any developed period of history - such as ancient Rome = and there were quite a bit of engineers, inventors, politicians, poets, philosophers, mathematicians, blacksmiths, soldiers, military officers, and such. (Much as the architects of Saint's Paul's Cathedral in the Vatican were not "farmers".

A person living in the height of Rome probably lived in more 'developed' conditions than say, a poor family from the Great Depression or the 1930s dustbowl did. (Even animals, such as ant colonies, live in what are essentially metropolises complete with plumbing, irrigation, and such).

https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-a ... etropolis/

For that matter, farming is a relatively new aspect of human history, humans are said to have actually lived as hunter-gathers for the first 200,000 years of human history - while agriculture is relatively modern and only began a mere 12,000 years ago.
-

The other fallacy here is that people in past times who "owned farms" (such as Medieval fiefdoms) were a minority of wealthy landowners, and much of the actual "work" done by hand was delegated to servants, serfs, and slaves. (So a "farm" in the sense being misused here - would probably be more comparable to a wealthy business executive or rancher passing it onto his heirs, with daily operations being delegated to lower-level employees).

Delegating "menial" tasks to servants was always a norm (such as mothers delegating tasks like breastfeeding to maidservants). So obviously there would be no difference in the 'industrializations' of today and the industrializations at any other point in history, the main difference just being that 'industrial' commodities are just often more readily available to lots of people today than they have been in the past.

-- In the Industrial Age, we got used to seeing a father forced to labor outside of the home in order to provide for his family.
No again, the engineers, architects, blacksmiths, soldiers, mathematicians of ancient Rome have always worked outside the home (you're just referring to a minority of wealthy aristocrats whose property and the slaves or servants required to run it were completely inherited).

Women's ability to "work outside the home" -- even today to some degree - has had more to do with better birth and familial circumstances than anything else (such as the Greek poetess Sappho, the mathematician Hypatia, or the various Roman and Egyptian empresses and queens who primarily inherited their positions).

The whole "inside/outside" dichotomy is false to begin with (e.x. the "home" of someone like Donald Trump is of a larger sq-ft radius than some entire villages in 3rd world countries.

And the idea of "home" has almost nothing to do with physical locality or proximity - it's solely related to legal concepts such as property ownership (which is an abstract concept that has nothing to do with physical proximity - since a "house" is physically the same whether or not a person can assert "ownership" to it or not).
-- With the wealth of education and opportunities available now, we should expect to see a great variety of ways for families to provide and care for their homes and children.
Well if anything, "industrialism" has made it easy to work inside the home than ever before - such as the number of people involved in online entrepreneurship, something which in the past wouldn't have been physically possible.
Except that modern Western society has forgotten why marriage is sacred,

and we've given up on the institution of families. It's a social disease.
Much of what you've described isn't sacrosanctity - it's simply carnality (e.x. the raw, unfettered desire to reproduce) or things born out of hardscrabble conditions or survivalism. The primary social disease which tends to produce hardscrabble and survivalistic conditions is irresponsible procreation without regard for financial, mental, or moral qualifications.

Marriage is only, in practice, a sacred ideal if people aspire to higher things than the mere hardscrabble survivalism, and would still be there devoid of any sacred ideals or institutions beyond raw physical desires shared with animals.

(For example, the Biblical Old Testament is rife with polygamy - polygamy is more effective at producing many children than monogamy, since a man can sire children with multiple wives or concubines at once - however in most developed conditions, monogamy is preferred, because it's associated with higher standards of living and quality of life for the couple and the family, even at the expense of having less children than what polygamy would potentially allow).