Emergency Food Supply

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Emergency Food Supply

Post by JimVH » Tue May 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Do any of you keep an emergency food supply (MRE, dehydrated, etc?). If so, what?

I’m not thinking about serious prepping volumes, just a few days supply for random weather events and outages. Just in case rations.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Re: Emergency Food Supply

Post by joegoat » Tue May 25, 2021 8:26 pm

Sardines.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:29 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:55 pm
Do any of you keep an emergency food supply (MRE, dehydrated, etc?). If so, what?

I’m not thinking about serious prepping volumes, just a few days supply for random weather events and outages. Just in case rations.
I do. I live in hurricane territory and on a coastal river so I keep a good supply of emergency food. I have to eat a very low carb diet so most of my stuff is canned vegetables and canned meats like chicken, tuna, sardines (mmmmm), vienna sausages, etc. I do keep a few bags of brown rice and a couple of bags of cornmeal in case it gets really bad. Tea and coffee are stockpiled too along with some canned milk. For water I just fill up some big jugs with tap water if a hurricane is forecast.

I do have a generator and about a weeks supply of fuel if I stretch it out to keep the refrigerator/freezer running as long as possible.

Stockpiling food is smart. Just pick up a few extra cans of stuff when you grocery shop and eventually you'll fill up a few milk crates with goodies. Don't forget the toilet paper. Also a gas grill and/or a propane camp stove is good to have around. Batteries, a few flashlights, candles, lanterns and a portable radio are good to keep on hand. As in the case with guns, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Also, you should have a stockpile of meds on hand.

After Hurricane Floyd much of ENC was without power for up to three weeks and the main highways were washed out in many areas making gasoline hard to find.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue May 25, 2021 8:48 pm

My mom was a farm girl so growing up we always had extra vittles' just in case
You can pick up dried & canned food at the grocery cheaper than REI
You're only limited by your imagination
I like to keep a sack of potatoes and a sack of onions around the place.
Dried soups aren't too bad, some are even pretty good
And there's pasta. beans and rice
Milkman is probably the least obnoxious dried milk there is
Dry Jack Cheese requires no refrigeration ( if you like cheese) and is actually real cheese, not plastic like what you get at Taco Bell.

Don't forget the liquor!

What's important is if you rely on an electric kitchen, find an old Coleman stove so you'll have something to boil water on if the power goes out.

If you do buy MRE's avoid the ones made in Corpus Christi, and especially if they look inflated----there was a big scandal quite awhile back and I still don't trust 'em.
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue May 25, 2021 8:53 pm

We're still under a State mandate to keep three days supply of drinking water on hand (4 gallons per person per day) because of the drought.

mont974x4
Dad to Ducks
Dad to Ducks

Post by mont974x4 » Tue May 25, 2021 9:11 pm

Yep. 100 lb bag of peas. 100 lb bag of lentils. Plenty of TP, paper towels, and Kleenex. Bottled water. Canned goods.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue May 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Yep
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 26, 2021 12:29 pm

We have canned goods and dry goods...always have, but more so since the RONA lock down
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Wed May 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Duplicate post
Last edited by adauria on Wed May 26, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

adauria

Post by adauria » Wed May 26, 2021 12:42 pm

I much prefer the idea of stocking up on shelf-stable staples mentioned here (rice, pasta, canned foods, dried beans, etc) than buying special, sodium-laden, heavily processed, not-to-good-tasting emergency food marketed as such. At least with the former you can eventually eat it anyway and rotate out the stock.

-Andrew

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed May 26, 2021 12:50 pm

adauria wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:42 pm
I much prefer the idea of stocking up on shelf-stable staples mentioned here (rice, pasta, canned foods, dried beans, etc) than buying special, sodium-laden, heavily processed, not-to-good-tasting emergency food marketed as such. At least with the former you can eventually eat it anyway and rotate out the stock.

-Andrew
This is what I was trying to distinguish between and didn't do a very good job at. I keep a good pantry, but still wonder if there isn't a place for a modest stash of "prepper" foods.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu May 27, 2021 8:07 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:50 pm
adauria wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:42 pm

-Andrew
This is what I was trying to distinguish between and didn't do a very good job at. I keep a good pantry, but still wonder if there isn't a place for a modest stash of "prepper" foods.
There is never a place for MREs manufactured in Corpus Christi. Trust me!

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:16 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:11 pm
100 lb bag of peas. 100 lb bag of lentils
That's a LOT of peas and lentils, especially since they are dried. Should do any number of people for months.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

mont974x4
Dad to Ducks
Dad to Ducks

Post by mont974x4 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:40 pm

Goose55 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:11 pm
100 lb bag of peas. 100 lb bag of lentils
That's a LOT of peas and lentils, especially since they are dried. Should do any number of people for months.
That was a benefit of working in the elevator for a few weeks. The lady of house will be sharing them with her friends.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu May 27, 2021 9:28 pm

I had a Mormon co-worker, back in the '80's. They were prepping before it was cool. Their mission was to have enough to share with neighbors in case of prolonged emergency.

One day he showed me how they store bulk dry products like rice and beans. Mix with some dry ice in a small cardboard-type barrel (kitchen trashcan size; 30 gallon) lined with a heavy polypropylene bag. Twist-tie the poly bag just tight enough that the CO2 can escape as the dry ice evaporates. Close the barrel and store.

The CO2 will displace all of the oxygen and water vapor in the barrel, preventing any insects that dare to hatch over the next few weeks from surviving. The bulk food will keep for many years.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri May 28, 2021 7:19 am

While we don't necessarily have that much of it, the processed food in the pantry will probably last for a millennium.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.