Tattoo 2021

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Tattoo 2021

Post by SlowToke » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:11 am

It seems we have a tattoo thread every year so here's 2021. I've been itching to get another tattoo and came up with a design I'm taking a liking to. It's an Ailee Pattee variation of the Maltese Cross encircled by the 8 virtues. It's also known as the Hospitaller's cross which is symbolic of my life's purpose working in healthcare caring for the sick. The eight points of the cross represent the 8 virtues which are summations of the Beatitudes. A constant reminder of the virtues I strive to hold myself to in life. I like the history behind the Maltese Cross and have for a long time. Tell me what you guys think. (Keep in mind that if certain CPSers poo poo it, it will be more incentive to get it! :lol: )

Also, post up your tat's if you get any this year or plan to.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: Tattoo 2021

Post by Jocose » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:22 am

I like it.

Where are you going to put it, Neck?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:42 am

Jocose wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:22 am
I like it.

Where are you going to put it, Neck?
Probably left chest.
Wayne Teipen
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:32 am

Two I am considering, but will likely only get one this year.
Sheet music of the first two measures of "Jesus Loves Me" in memory of our angel baby. Maybe on the wrist.
Gibson style guitar headstock with "Solus Christus" instead of the Gibson logo on right arm.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:50 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:11 am
It seems we have a tattoo thread every year so here's 2021. I've been itching to get another tattoo and came up with a design I'm taking a liking to. It's an Ailee Pattee variation of the Maltese Cross encircled by the 8 virtues. It's also known as the Hospitaller's cross which is symbolic of my life's purpose working in healthcare caring for the sick. The eight points of the cross represent the 8 virtues which are summations of the Beatitudes. A constant reminder of the virtues I strive to hold myself to in life. I like the history behind the Maltese Cross and have for a long time. Tell me what you guys think. (Keep in mind that if certain CPSers poo poo it, it will be more incentive to get it! :lol: )

I really like this design of yours..... So I'm gonna poo poo on it as much as possible, and hope for the best.

A) The traditional Maltese cross has concave arms, usually with straight lines:

This is the symbol of the Knights Hospitaller.
The Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem (Latin: Ordo Fratrum Hospitalis Sancti Ioannis Hierosolymitani), commonly known as the Knights Hospitaller (/ˈhɒspɪtələr/), the Knights of Rhodes, the Knights of Malta, or the Order of Saint John or even the Knights of St. John (by the Maltese populance), was a medieval and early modern Catholic military order. It was headquartered in the Kingdom of Jerusalem until 1291, on the island of Rhodes from 1310 until 1522, in Malta from 1530 until 1798
Your cross has convex edges. It looks like a four-point radiation warning. Image

Your convex cross design is, apparently, considered to be a version of the Maltese Cross. You were close: It's name is Alisee cross pattée.

B) There are traditionally Seven Virtues in the classical moral order. The four Cardinal Virtues of pagan antiquity: Prudence, Temperance, Fortitude, and Justice. And the three Theological Virtues of Christian teaching: Faith, Hope, and Love.

But there is another sort of beauty in listing virtues that try to correspond to the Beatitudes of Jesus. The two reckonings are not incompatible.... For example, Live in Truth and Be Sincere are essentially the same thing. While the pagan virtue of Justice encompasses a habit of speaking and dealing honestly with everyone we meet.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:49 am

Del wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:50 pm
SlowToke wrote:

I really like this design of yours..... So I'm gonna poo poo on it as much as possible, and hope for the best.

The Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem (Latin: Ordo Fratrum Hospitalis Sancti Ioannis Hierosolymitani), commonly known as the Knights Hospitaller (/ˈhɒspɪtələr/), the Knights of Rhodes, the Knights of Malta, or the Order of Saint John or even the Knights of St. John (by the Maltese populance), was a medieval and early modern Catholic military order. It was headquartered in the Kingdom of Jerusalem until 1291, on the island of Rhodes from 1310 until 1522, in Malta from 1530 until 1798
Your cross has convex edges. It looks like a four-point radiation warning. Image

Your convex cross design is, apparently, considered to be a version of the Maltese Cross. You were close: It's name is Alisee cross pattée.

B) There are traditionally Seven Virtues in the classical moral order. The four Cardinal Virtues of pagan antiquity: Prudence, Temperance, Fortitude, and Justice. And the three Theological Virtues of Christian teaching: Faith, Hope, and Love.

But there is another sort of beauty in listing virtues that try to correspond to the Beatitudes of Jesus. The two reckonings are not incompatible.... For example, Live in Truth and Be Sincere are essentially the same thing. While the pagan virtue of Justice encompasses a habit of speaking and dealing honestly with everyone we meet.
Actually the radioactive sign would be the coolest. It should be inked in a visible location, possibly the neck as Jo suggested.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

GaryInVA
Minister to Vegetarian Hippies
Minister to Vegetarian Hippies

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:27 pm

The red cross would work for me as it's also used for Independent Skate trucks (even though I'm a Tracker Trucks guy).
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

But it is easier for a Lifted Ford to pass under the beam of a parking garage than it is for a Dodge Ram driver to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Y'all crazy

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:04 pm

I've finished all 4.4 million words of The Wheel of Time series. I should get a tattoo.

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

plainview
Elder
Elder

Post by plainview » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:27 am

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:28 pm

Del wrote:
SlowToke wrote:

It is my understanding that there are eight virtues of the Order of Malta/Knights Hospitaller in coordination with the Maltese Cross with each point of the cross representing one virtue. Eight points = eight virtues. Seven virtues just doesn't make sense.

I'm not opposed to the radiation symbol. Toxicity is the ninth virtue. :lol: Maybe it could be juxtaposed as a separate tattoo.
Wayne Teipen

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:15 am

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:09 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:28 pm
Del wrote:
SlowToke wrote:

It is my understanding that there are eight virtues of the Order of Malta/Knights Hospitaller in coordination with the Maltese Cross with each point of the cross representing one virtue. Eight points = eight virtues. Seven virtues just doesn't make sense.

I'm not opposed to the radiation symbol. Toxicity is the ninth virtue. :lol: Maybe it could be juxtaposed as a separate tattoo.
Get a Templar cross in protest of the Catholic church.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:16 pm

FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

“Liberal Christianity” may be more appealing to the masses than “conservative Christianity,” -TNLawPiper

If you can't say “amen” you gotta say “ouch.” -Voddie Baucham

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:16 am

Fainn wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Get a Templar cross in protest of the Catholic church.
The Templar Cross is one of the common variations on the Maltese Cross.

As long as we are calling upon the Orders of Knights from the Crusades, here is the cross of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre:

ImageImage

If I ever got a tattoo, this would be a contender.

Fun Facts:

1) Like the Knights of St. John (Malta), the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre still exist. This is how they look now:

2) They were established by Godfrey de Bouillon, the first Christian king of Jerusalem following the First Crusade. Godfrey was a courageous, noble and humble man. He refused "to wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." He wore his humble battle gear daily as he performed his duties.

3) I am a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre. My unworthy self was invited to join the Order, along with my wife (as a Dame of the Holy Sepulchre).

4) Slowtoke's aunt and uncle are also members of the Order. I met them at a convention gathering, a few years ago.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am

The design (OP) is good, but I'd be worried about the fine detail in the writing becoming too blurred over time to remain legible. Even if it did remain legible, it wouldn't look very good once the detail fades.

Although, maybe if you held it in a fire for a few seconds and it started glowing...
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am
The design (OP) is good, but I'd be worried about the fine detail in the writing becoming too blurred over time to remain legible. Even if it did remain legible, it wouldn't look very good once the detail fades.

Although, maybe if you held it in a fire for a few seconds and it started glowing...
All good points and ones I considered. Interestingly, I'm not all that concerned with the words blurring over time because I'm less concerned about the aesthetics of the tattoo as I am the reminder of the virtues I want to live by. What's most important to me is that I know what the words say and not so much that others know what the words say.

The lettering style reminded me of the elven LOTR lettering as well which adds to the coolness factor for me.
Wayne Teipen

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:28 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 pm
Sir Moose wrote:

All good points and ones I considered. Interestingly, I'm not all that concerned with the words blurring over time because I'm less concerned about the aesthetics of the tattoo as I am the reminder of the virtues I want to live by. What's most important to me is that I know what the words say and not so much that others know what the words say.

The lettering style reminded me of the elven LOTR lettering as well which adds to the coolness factor for me.
Your skin won't stretch the letters so much if you can avoid flexing any muscles in that area.

You don't flex, right?

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:28 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:28 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

Your skin won't stretch the letters so much if you can avoid flexing any muscles in that area.

You don't flex, right?
I don't flex; I genuflect. :lol: 8)
Wayne Teipen

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:16 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:28 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:28 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

You don't flex, right?
I don't flex; I genuflect. :lol: 8)
Brilliance! :joy: