Beach Vacation and aftermath

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:24 pm

We got back late yesterday after having spent a full week at a really nice house my mom rented at the Outer Banks (NC). It was my gang of 4, my mom, my sister, her husband & daughter, and my uncle. Mom has made it a tradition in recent years to get a rental for a week at one of the beaches in the Carolinas for us to all go and enjoy together. Really nice place - the best rental we’ve ever had. The weather was kinda hit and miss - the day after we arrived I went to the local Wal Mart to get a sweatshirt and some jeans so I could smoke outside more comfortably as it was kinda cold to sit outside for extended periods. We did have a few days of nicer beach-worthy weather.

We had a bit of a scare en route on Saturday, 5/29, when about 100 miles out from our destination, the minivan in which 7 of us were riding started having electrical problems. The engine started kicking (IDK how else to describe it) and all kinds of low power lights started lighting up while going down US-64. This is a sparsely populated area with intermittent cellular coverage. I was able to limp the van off the highway to a gas station in a little town called Robersonville. Not knowing if the problem was the 3 year old battery or the alternator, my uncle & brother in law drove 10 miles to an auto parts store for a battery to swap out. Everybody is wargaming all these PLAN B options and I’m just standing there praying that we make it to our destination safely. Just making it to the gas station was an answered prayer already - much better than breaking down on the side of the highway without phone reception, storm clouds threatening, and 3 kids in the van! New battery got us to our destination, but the next day we were seeing low power indicators again, so my uncle and brother-in-law tag-teamed replacing the alternator at the rental house - I’m glad they were able to do this because it is outside my area of expertise. No further vehicular problems ensued.

In addition to lounging around at the house and the beach, we got to go to the Wright Brothers Memorial at Kitty Hawk - this is a national park where you can walk the grounds where Orville & WIlbur conducted their experiments & conducted the first successful powered flights in a heavier-than-air machine. We got to listen to a nice 30 minute presentation from a park ranger, then tour a small museum on site and the obligatory gift shop as well. I had previously been to the Outer Banks when I was 12, and it was fun to go see this again as an adult. There’s an outdoor play that (unfortunately) turned out to be a musical about The Lost Colony. Here’s the rundown on what the Lost Colony is, if you’re interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony - it’s an interesting unsolved mystery of history.

Half of our group took an afternoon to go check out Bodie Lighthouse and Hatteras Lighthouse - I stayed behind on this one as I remember visiting both, and had little interest in walking around the outside of lighthouses that for various reasons are not at this time allowing visitors to enter the interiors of as they had previously. At that point I really needed some downtime anyway. The wife & kids enjoyed it.

Another area of note is Jockey’s Ridge State Park, which is home to the tallest active sand dune system in the eastern US - it’s quite the sight to behold. We enjoyed flying some kites there and just taking in the scenery.

PRAYER NEEDS:

While I didn’t post about it on CPS at the time, those of you who are friends with me on Facebook likely saw the posts not just about the aforesaid vehicle issues, but also my mother-in-law’s heart attack that we received news of while on our trip. Beth will be turning 71 this year, and doesn’t have any history of heart issues. She’s a slim woman, but she does suffer from osteoporosis. Apparently she was sitting in the lobby at her physician’s office (scheduled appointment) when she collapsed (she has no recollection of this). Her heart stopped & they had to administer CPR & use a defibrillator on her. Ribs were cracked in the process. I can’t remember if this occurred Thursday or Friday. I think she’s coming home today. Complicating things is that she’s also been the caregiver for my father-in-law (John) who has multiple medical issues & really can’t take care of himself. The in-laws live in Vista, California (northern part of San Diego County) and my wife and I live on the other side of the country. Their other daughter & her family live in Fort Worth, TX. The kids & spouses all left California years ago due to real-estate prices that none of us could afford, and for years since my wife and her sister have been trying unsuccessfully to talk their parents into moving to Texas or North Carolina so that their kids & grandkids can see them more often as well as better care for them as they age & need help. If it was up to my mother-in-law this would have already been a done-deal years ago, but my father-in-law has been the stubborn holdout.

Anyway, Beth should be getting discharged from the hospital today. They have some friends who will be getting her home. Between friends and neighbors, we’re confident Beth and John will be getting the daily help they need until Lisa (my wife) can get there. She’s flying out on Thursday morning & taking our 9-yr old son with her. They’ve got 1-way tickets as we’re not sure exactly how long she’s going to be staying. Lisa’s sister is planning to fly out from Ft. Worth a few days later. They’re going to take care of their parents during the early stages of Beth’s recovery, and hopefully at some point broach the subject of relocation again. PLEASE PRAY not only for safe travels for those traveling and Beth’s recovery, but also pray for Lisa and her sister Sarah as they talk to their parents yet again about relocating. We can’t afford to live in San Diego County, and neither can Sarah & her family. Nobody wants to abandon John & Beth - we really do want to see to their needs, but it’s difficult to do it from afar. Also staying behind with me is our 12 year old daughter. We have a 3 month old miniature dachshund puppy (who was boarded while on vacation) that we will be taking care of - Lisa was the primary caregiver for the puppy, and I think it’s more work than taking care of a human infant in some ways. The coming days & weeks are going to be challenging for our family and for my wife’s family.

Thank you all!
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:43 pm

On a smoking—related note - as it’s hard to smoke a pipe at the beach I smoked more cigars this week than ever before. When I did have a pipe I was smoking Eight State Burley almost exclusively. On our way out of town yesterday we stopped at a pier in Nags Head, where I saw an older gentleman smoking a pipe while fishing with his son. This guy very closely resembles a gentleman named Daniel who I know from some of the Facebook pipe smoking groups - so of course I had to ask. As it turns out, this was not Daniel, but a guy from Ohio named Ron. Still, I enjoyed conversing with him for a while. He had some great stories about what he did while in the Navy - even worked on a rather large ship that belonged to Howard Hughes, who he said was doing some work on behalf of the CIA in the early 70’s. This ship was used to recover a downed Soviet MiG as well as to recover a Soviet Submarine. A bit of web searching later led me to this article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_Explorer I could’ve listened to Ron for hours given the opportunity.

Ron had an assortment of old pipes with him - what looked like some Grabows and some basket pipes - that were in what I’ll politely call well loved condition. As I was finishing up my bowl of Eight State Burley in my Dagner Cob poker and dumping the ashes, Ron immediately thrusts out a bag & is offering me a refill. I grabbed the bag and saw that it was Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish 8O. This is probably the ONLY way I’d ever end up trying this product. :rotfl: I couldn’t refuse. As it turns out, it isn’t bad stuff. I doubt its going to ever become my daily smoke, but I actually enjoyed the bowl. :pipe3:

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Re: Beach Vacation and aftermath

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:05 pm

Prayers y'all's way. Glad the trip turned out well and safe.

I can tell some stories about SP Cherry Blend, btw.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:30 pm

Praying.
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:35 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:30 pm
Praying.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:27 am

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:43 pm
a guy from Ohio named Ron.
Wos?
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:42 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:27 am
Adam Z wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:43 pm
a guy from Ohio named Ron.
Wos?
LOL... I'm pretty sure that I didn't accidentally meet Wos.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:14 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:35 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:30 pm
Praying.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers
Minister to Monster Truckers

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:16 pm

Good report. Enjoyed reading it.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis