Bowties

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Bowties

Post by JimVH » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:59 pm

How many CPS’rs wear bow ties? Why do you prefer them? How often do you wear them? Talk it up.

I prefer bows over long ties, yet only wear them about half the time a tie is required. I like a butterfly cut, but have a few diamond points I enjoy (not a straight-edge guy). Stripes, patterns, paisleys… I like them all.

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:03 pm

no
YEAH COBS

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:04 pm

Zed wrote:no
C'mon, I tried a cob and liked it.

Zed

Post by Zed » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:05 pm

i'm in the converting business not being converted business. :wink:
YEAH COBS

choiceofbeverage
Elder
Elder

Post by choiceofbeverage » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:06 pm

I've been on a long search for a bow tie I will wear. I prefer the look of smaller ones, no big butterfly bows. and the pattern has to be nice, not crazy or one is subject to clown/standup-hack-comic comments.

though i like ties in general. and suits though i never have a reason to wear them. Wear ties to church much of the time. more so in winter with heavy sportcoats.

JL
No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversations as a dog does.
-Christopher Morley

choiceofbeverage
Elder
Elder

Post by choiceofbeverage » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:10 pm

I also like waistcoats, spectator and saddle shoes, braces and odd plaid trousers. I'm a bit off.

Though i don't own any of these things as they are dificult to find in my size, of good quality, and in my budget. when i picture my self though I am dressed in such accouterments. In reality I am in jeans, polos, and chuck taylors.

JL
-Christopher Morley

Zed

Post by Zed » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:16 pm

jeans and a polo is dressing up for me. jacket and tie are torture.
YEAH COBS

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:16 pm

choiceofbeverage wrote:I also like waistcoats, spectator and saddle shoes, braces and odd plaid trousers. I'm a bit off.

Though i don't own any of these things as they are dificult to find in my size, of good quality, and in my budget. when i picture my self though I am dressed in such accouterments. In reality I am in jeans, polos, and chuck taylors.

JL
I've worn all of the above at one time or another... I like your style.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:22 pm

I don't wear one often, but when I don a tux—and as a musician, I do it more than most people—Ialwayswear a real silk, hand-tied bow tie. Both of the bow ties I own are butterfly cut.

I bought both of my ties when I was on vacation in Italy (boy, that sounds pretentious doesn't it? I didn't mean it to), but it to looks to me likeBeau Ties Ltd.is the best online supplier for this waning fashion.

choiceofbeverage
Elder
Elder

Post by choiceofbeverage » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:27 pm

R Hanauer in SC has some nice stuff. though some of them are a little vineyard vine-ish. I just haven't taken the leap to buy some.

JL
-Christopher Morley

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Re: Bowties

Post by colton » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm

JimVH wrote:Why do you prefer them?
Sorry, I forgot to answer this question. I prefer a real bow tie to the pre-tied versions because the latter are too perfect. No tie (of any variety) should look like the text-book example. The dimple of a straight tie shouldn't quite be centered and the triangle shouldn't be perfect, a cravat should be pined just shy of center, and, in the same way, the ends of a bow tie shouldn't line up just right. In all cases, the result should be close to perfect (anything less would look like carelessness), but perfection strips the wearer of his individuality, which is always cultivated in the details of fine menswear.

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:50 pm

Agreed, Colton. All silk and tie-ons are the only way to go. Take a look at bowtieclub.com also. I have several from them. They will make any of their ties to fit us thick-necked guys.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:27 pm

I will wear them occasionally, great conversation piece. Though I own a butterfly cut one, I can not tie one for the life of me. All instructions I've seen seem to miss a step to me (then again I just maybe stupid).
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Wes
Usher
Usher

Post by Wes » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:34 pm

[quote="colton"]I don't wear one often, but when I don a tux—and as a musician, I do it more than most people—Ialwayswear a real silk, hand-tied bow tie.

Same here, Colton. As a musician, I also have occasions to wear bow ties. I have several that match vests and also will occasionally wear one with a sport coat.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:13 am

Bow ties are, far and away, my favorite form of neckwear. I have ten of them and am always looking for excuses to buy more. More than half of mine are the straight edge variety either in a small, geometric repeat pattern or regimental stripe. The others are diamond-point, some displaying a rather wild color scheme. I have only one butterfly bow tie. It is of a rich navy blue that I find goes very well with my usual charcoal grey tweeds, so I still end up wearing it a great deal of the time.

I wear a bow tie to church every Sunday and am always happy to notice that I am never the only one so sporting; such is the advantage to being an Anglican. Beyond that, I have often had to fight hard for my right to wear a bow tie. My wife expressed early on that she is not all that fond of them and many clients have expressed attitudes of ridicule or even hostility upon seeing me in one. Very often I have been forced into wearing one of my wool tartan or knitted long ties for fear of making a bad impression. All the same, the bow tie shall ever reign supreme in my affections.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:11 am

I like 'em. I only own one, a Navy blue butterfly. I used to have a brown paisley one that I liked but the Mrs. hated. Too small she said. She denies throwing it out, but I do wonder. I still have a brown paisley ascot though.

As for neckties, I like knit wool ones best. I have one wool tartan tie in the Kerr pattern. I'd like more, but I only get them from the Salvation Army and Good Will stores. Why pay more?
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:15 am

I switched to bow ties a while ago and that's about all I use for neck wear now. I enjoy the fit and feel of them better than long tie. My bow tie can be have a messy knot and I don't care, but I am extremely picky on the clean lines of a long tie. I only own and wear striped bow ties. There are some nice patterns out there, but I gravitate towards stripes.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:41 am

I love the idea of a bow tie, but I don't even own a single one. I feel like I could make the switch over entirely if it were more acceptable in my profession (should you wish to call "Sales Engineering" a profession).

Here's my other issue - I almost never wear ties of any kind anymore. I am at work right now in the home office wearing boxer shorts and brown t-shirt. It is 10:40 AM and I have not showered yet. This is a typical day in the home office.

When I am on the road meeting prospects and customers, I generally wear dark or khaki cotton pants, loafers, and a simple dress shirt. No tie, no jacket.

My church attire is somewhere between my 2 extremes mentioned above.

Ties are pretty much for weddings these days.

-Andrew

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:58 am

I like bow ties very much and used to wear them as a child (clip-on, of course). I have a deep-down desire to wear one, similar to the desire to smoke a pipe. I have broached the subject of wearing one as recently as maybe 10 years ago, but my wife will not allow it. She says it would make me look like a bowling pin, especially with my short haircut.

Otherwise, I'm like Andrew, I never wear a tie unless the occasion is very formal, so for me that means pretty much not at all. But I would wear one more often if I could wear a bow tie.

Interestingly, in my part of the country, a lot of the people in my profession wear string ties. I've never figured this out.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

darthsaturn
Soon to be Chock Full O' Nuts
Soon to be Chock Full O' Nuts

Post by darthsaturn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:18 am

A_Morley wrote: My wife expressed early on that she is not all that fond of them and many clients have expressed attitudes of ridicule or even hostility upon seeing me in one.
Are you sure it wasn't the tights you were wearing that brought the offense?
"If you like smoking a pipe, then smoke an ever loving pipe and stop being such a Nancy about it." A Morely

"I'm not even a woman and I find that offensive" Kerdy.