looks like the forums a bit on the dead side as of late?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
Meerstone
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Malaysia

looks like the forums a bit on the dead side as of late?

Post by Meerstone » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:22 am

oh well, alas poor Yuric, I knew him well.....

anyhoo. Does anyone here own a Barling Meershcuam pipe? If so, do you like it? I ordered a Rustic black coral full bent Barling pipe and can't wait to try it out. I love the look and texture from just the pics. Thanks.

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33276
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Post by John-Boy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:36 am

I don't have one... but I'd like to. I've been looking at them for a while - just haven't made the leap. Let us know how you like it.

John-Boy
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
sportybird
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: South Dakota
Contact:

Re: looks like the forums a bit on the dead side as of late?

Post by sportybird » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:39 am

Meerstone wrote:oh well, alas poor Yuric, I knew him well.....

anyhoo. Does anyone here own a Barling Meershcuam pipe? If so, do you like it? I ordered a Rustic black coral full bent Barling pipe and can't wait to try it out. I love the look and texture from just the pics. Thanks.
I have 1 Barling Meerschaum. It is my only meerschaum. I believe it is a pressed meerschaum, instead of pure block meerschaum. I don't own any pure meerschaum, so I don't know how it would compare to that.

Anyway, it's a fine pipe, I rarely smoke it because I'm not sure what to do with it. I've always had the impression that meerschaum pipes should be 1 tobacco pipes. I haven't found that 1 tobacco that I want to restrict to smoking in it. I keep looking for that 1 tobacco that I like year round.

Blessings,
Daniel
We didnt abandon you Pete. We just thought you was a toad.

Meerstone
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Malaysia

Post by Meerstone » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:15 pm

Acutually it is not pressed meerschuam. It is of a solid block from Somalia or Tanzania. It is referred to as black coral meerschaum. It is more durable than white meerschuam from Turkey due to its calcinated properties. It actually cost more than some of the lower end Meerschuams. Also, I have not heard that a meerschaum needs to be a one tobacco type of pipe, though I am sure that is as much your right as the next guy to want you meerschaum to be a one tobacco pipe. Good luck on finding that special one.

User avatar
sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 900
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Contact:

Re: looks like the forums a bit on the dead side as of late?

Post by sguthrie » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 am

sportybird wrote:
Anyway, it's a fine pipe, I rarely smoke it because I'm not sure what to do with it. I've always had the impression that meerschaum pipes should be 1 tobacco pipes. I haven't found that 1 tobacco that I want to restrict to smoking in it. I keep looking for that 1 tobacco that I like year round.

Blessings,
Daniel
I've always heard the exact opposite. I thought that since a meer didn't absorb like briar does, it's one that you can interchange tobaccos in without risking an flavors hanging around - you can also smoke it as often as you like without letting it dry out between.
If God is your co-pilot, you're sitting in the wrong seat.

User avatar
sportybird
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: South Dakota
Contact:

Re: looks like the forums a bit on the dead side as of late?

Post by sportybird » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:51 am

sguthrie wrote:
sportybird wrote:
Anyway, it's a fine pipe, I rarely smoke it because I'm not sure what to do with it. I've always had the impression that meerschaum pipes should be 1 tobacco pipes. I haven't found that 1 tobacco that I want to restrict to smoking in it. I keep looking for that 1 tobacco that I like year round.

Blessings,
Daniel
I've always heard the exact opposite. I thought that since a meer didn't absorb like briar does, it's one that you can interchange tobaccos in without risking an flavors hanging around - you can also smoke it as often as you like without letting it dry out between.

You could be right, I will admit that I don't have much experience with them, which is why I probably only have 1 and don't really know what to do with it. :?

Daniel
We didnt abandon you Pete. We just thought you was a toad.

Post Reply