Paging Tony, Paging Dr. Tony or anyone else fond of Linux

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Sirbax
Congregation
Congregation

Paging Tony, Paging Dr. Tony or anyone else fond of Linux

Post by Sirbax » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:15 am

OK, I am going to beging exploring the world of Linux!! Where should I start? What do you think of PHLAK? Would that be a good place to start?
<div>Hear my weekly PODCAST on the history of the world around us at <a href="http://www.audioalmanac.com/">www.AudioAlmanac.com</a>. <br><br>Please spread the word on this PODCAST!!!</div><br>

joekm
ButtButtBaldyBumbleheadf00f

Post by joekm » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:26 pm

SuSe (www.suse.com) is a pretty painless install, and you can download an unsupported version of thier CD image (or .iso file) for free from thier website. Besides the install being pretty polished, there are also built-in firewall and security tools. If you can boot from your CD-ROM, you're gloden.

There is also Knoppix (www.knoppix.org) that is a "Live CD" installation. That is, it will boot directly from your CD-ROM and load itself in ram without actually installing. This makes it possible to just sort of "see what it looks like". Other installations, like SuSe also have "Live CD's" but Knoppix is different in that the live CD can also install itself permanently if you on your hard drive if you so desire.

They are all good though. Knoppix and SuSe are the ones I've used most recently. I currently run SuSe and it's probably the one I would recommend for a first timer. It's just a lot more polished.
It's always the quiet ones.....isn't it?

Sirbax
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sirbax » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:37 pm

Since my first post, I have downloaded both PHLAK and Knoppix. I can't seem to get Knoppix to run "live" though. But PHLAK is awesome, just pop in the CD and reboot. Now I just need to know what to do from there, I guess I need to learn the commands to do things. I assume you type those commands in the "root"?

By the way, does Knoppix usually have a looooong wait as it tries to determine the CD drive? that is where it keeps hanging up on me, or am I just not patient enough?
<div>Hear my weekly PODCAST on the history of the world around us at <a href="http://www.audioalmanac.com/">www.AudioAlmanac.com</a>. <br><br>Please spread the word on this PODCAST!!!</div><br>

joekm

Post by joekm » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:07 pm

Sirbax wrote: By the way, does Knoppix usually have a looooong wait as it tries to determine the CD drive? that is where it keeps hanging up on me, or am I just not patient enough?
Hmmm...it kinda sounds like a bad .iso image. Knoppix is generally very good at auto-configuring. Not familiar with the other distro you are using.

As far as how to install it, I'm sure there is documentation where you got it from. Again though, the most user-friendly install I've seen to date is SuSe.
It's always the quiet ones.....isn't it?

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:25 pm

I've actually played with Phlax a tiny bit. It is a CD-based version (I think based on Knoppix) that is geared to helping people learn the security side of linux. I actually had it running in a VMware session rather than off a real CD. I just didn't have enough time to play with it...

-Andrew

Sirbax
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sirbax » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:05 am

I think you mean PHLAK

Professional
Hackers
Linux
Assault
Kit

I got the ISO on that one and have burned it to a disk, I do like the fact that it is CD based and AirSnort is awesome.