What was your last exercise for physical fitness?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: What was your last exercise for physical fitness?

Post by John-Boy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:16 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Tatanka wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Tatanka wrote:Are there any Great Whites around Sydney?
Yes. Some kid had just been eaten the evening before. But they're not the main danger.
What is?
The bull sharks, the tiger sharks, jellyfish, coastal rips, Sun, traffic, mosquitos... about everything else. Given the possibilities, being taken by a great white while body surfing would have to go down as a "good death".
My goodness Charlie Brown! Even "traffic" huh? I've heard Auzzies were wild drivers, but never considered the ocean too! :D :D I hear a jellyfish sting is something super painful. Being carried down or up by a rip tide, or worse out to sea or into the bay would be fearful. I experienced one brief experience with a rip tide in southern Cal. and it frightened me. Brave you!
A couple of my kids say they have no interest in visiting Australia. They say every show that is about the "most dangerous animal of type X" is always about creatures in Australia.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:48 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Tatanka wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Tatanka wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Tatanka wrote:Are there any Great Whites around Sydney?
Yes. Some kid had just been eaten the evening before. But they're not the main danger.
What is?
The bull sharks, the tiger sharks, jellyfish, coastal rips, Sun, traffic, mosquitos... about everything else. Given the possibilities, being taken by a great white while body surfing would have to go down as a "good death".
My goodness Charlie Brown! Even "traffic" huh? I've heard Auzzies were wild drivers, but never considered the ocean too! :D :D I hear a jellyfish sting is something super painful. Being carried down or up by a rip tide, or worse out to sea or into the bay would be fearful. I experienced one brief experience with a rip tide in southern Cal. and it frightened me. Brave you!
A couple of my kids say they have no interest in visiting Australia. They say every show that is about the "most dangerous animal of type X" is always about creatures in Australia.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's mostly hype. The sharks are at far greater danger than the people. We kill about 500 Great Whites for every person that gets injured by a shark.

There are only two animals that bother me. We have a kangaroo that keeps coming into our back garden. He's a big male that might have lost his mob (taken over by another male, probably). He's got a few battle-scars and a torn ear. I like that he's there in a tree-hugging kind of way, but they do kill people. So we can't let the kids play in the back garden when the roo is there. And the other animal is mosquitoes. There's no malaria here, but it is possible to get Ross River fever or a couple of other serious tropical mosquito borne infections.

But sharks, no, they don't worry me.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Played fetch with the dog. He did he running.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:03 pm

Tossed the football around with The Girl. That's right; The Girl likes to play football.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

beagle_fan
Congregation
Congregation

Post by beagle_fan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Hunting small game w/ my wife and beagle. Before that, hunting turkeys with my wife, no beagle.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Played fetch with the dog. He did he running.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:53 am

John-Boy wrote:Did 4 miles last night - run/walk
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:37 am

A bunch of push ups and pull ups.

Did some HIIT running (20 second bursts with 1 minute walk-jogs) with my wife over the course of 1.5 miles. Talk about hard. She was better at it than me.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:11 am

Still doing HIIT and variations of running and jogging.

Bought some gym rings a while back. They were hard to learn how to use at first. I'm glad I got them. I feel much stronger and better balanced for having learned how to use them.

Down to within 5lbs of what I was when I graduated high school. I can now do a 7 minute mile. My strength has increased. I feel better. Look better. And my BP and cholesterol are down.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:37 am

Cleon wrote:Still doing HIIT and variations of running and jogging.

Bought some gym rings a while back. They were hard to learn how to use at first. I'm glad I got them. I feel much stronger and better balanced for having learned how to use them.

Down to within 5lbs of what I was when I graduated high school. I can now do a 7 minute mile. My strength has increased. I feel better. Look better. And my BP and cholesterol are down.

Hats off to you! And a fine salute! I envy your accomplishment! But happy for you. Way to go Dynamo!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 06, 2016 12:21 pm

So, all you guys out there who want to lose weight and get in shape - Try HIIT. It has worked really well for me and my wife. You accomplish more in less time. That was the draw for me. It can be brutal, but it's over quickly. Try it.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Fri May 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Just spent 90 minutes battling weeds in the yard and getting my garden plot ready to rock. Headed back out after a quick break.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri May 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Cleon wrote:So, all you guys out there who want to lose weight and get in shape - Try HIIT. It has worked really well for me and my wife. You accomplish more in less time. That was the draw for me. It can be brutal, but it's over quickly. Try it.
Until your metabolism slows down, and then the body goes retrograde... Issue here is the folks who did Biggest Loser ran into the "lose fast - get it all back plus a bit more" syndrome. Human bodies do not like fast change, and will battle it as if it were an assault on the body's systems.

There's more going on here particularly with Sleep Cycles and Nutrition than "lose it fast". I think the Medicos owe us a better way here...
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:So, all you guys out there who want to lose weight and get in shape - Try HIIT. It has worked really well for me and my wife. You accomplish more in less time. That was the draw for me. It can be brutal, but it's over quickly. Try it.
Until your metabolism slows down, and then the body goes retrograde... Issue here is the folks who did Biggest Loser ran into the "lose fast - get it all back plus a bit more" syndrome. Human bodies do not like fast change, and will battle it as if it were an assault on the body's systems.

There's more going on here particularly with Sleep Cycles and Nutrition than "lose it fast". I think the Medicos owe us a better way here...
To be sure. I would not advocate what they do on the Biggest Loser. It's just that if you get bored with long, drawn out exercise routines, HIIT is a breath (a big deep breath) of fresh air. Then you're done and you can be on your way.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri May 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:

To be sure. I would not advocate what they do on the Biggest Loser. It's just that if you get bored with long, drawn out exercise routines, HIIT is a breath (a big deep breath) of fresh air. Then you're done and you can be on your way.
I agree - it's a In-Moderation-HIIT, which I myself have gotten back to practicing. If the weight is taking weeks to come off slowly, and the muscle mass is picking up - those are really good signs of correct weight loss.

Going overboard to the limits to just cut weight is going to disappoint sooner than later.
Rgrds,
Joe

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 06, 2016 2:15 pm

Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Pepik wrote:

I agree - it's a In-Moderation-HIIT, which I myself have gotten back to practicing. If the weight is taking weeks to come off slowly, and the muscle mass is picking up - those are really good signs of correct weight loss.

Going overboard to the limits to just cut weight is going to disappoint sooner than later.
Agreed. It's taken me about 10 months to recompose myself to this point. I'm down about 19 lbs with noticeably better muscle definition and way better cardio levels. Honestly, I have probably lost a little muscle mass but proportionately I am stronger and have more endurance. That's exercising 5-7x a week for and average of about 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Just move. It's not much, but it has made a world of difference.

Another factor that helped was cutting way, way, way down on sugar, refined grains, and alcohol. I still eat and still get full, just more protein and vegetables. My goal was to get healthy in a sustainable way...for the long haul. After seeing my father go through what he went through the last few years and what my mother is going through now...well, I want to avoid that if I can.

Thunk also had a lot to do in spurring me on to do this whether he realized it or not. I liked reading his posts about getting in shape and how it helped is attitude.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Ever since an arthroscope revealed mild arthritis in my right knee, I have taken the surgeons advice and begun bicycling. It's really a great place to bicycle here in this very small, remote Arizona desert town, with little traffic. There are some small, gradual hills, as well as flat areas.

Eventually I will need a full knee replacement.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri May 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Cleon wrote:Thunk also had a lot to do in spurring me on to do this whether he realized it or not. I liked reading his posts about getting in shape and how it helped is attitude.
THIS right here.

If there is any psychokenetic transfer during exercise, then the equipment at the Gym I visit should be destroyed when they wear out to prevent some sort of Cataclysmic backlash from latent anger and frustration transfers...

A good part of that "feeling better" thing is getting to an even Emotional state, and the routine I keep has brought me to a much better place.
Rgrds,
Joe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 06, 2016 5:08 pm

Pepik wrote:
Cleon wrote:Thunk also had a lot to do in spurring me on to do this whether he realized it or not. I liked reading his posts about getting in shape and how it helped is attitude.
THIS right here.

If there is any psychokenetic transfer during exercise, then the equipment at the Gym I visit should be destroyed when they wear out to prevent some sort of Cataclysmic backlash from latent anger and frustration transfers...

A good part of that "feeling better" thing is getting to an even Emotional state, and the routine I keep has brought me to a much better place.
:D

I'm glad to hear that I helped to inspire.

Last night about 11 PM I went to the gym to do strength training for an hour, targeted shoulders and back.

Then I came home, drank a whey protein shake and practiced some meditation before going to sleep.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Excersise is a form of down time for me. Whether riding my bike or lifting at the gym, I'm working out alone. The introvert in me appreciates that and the extroverts in my life recognize my workout time as important and leave me alone! :chili:

So when I need a break from everyone, I work out!