Pistol Suggestion

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Pistol Suggestion

Post by Thoth » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:10 pm

If things go right I will eventually get a couple of pistol permits (if JCPD can get its act together and issue a permit within my lifetime). Anyway

I think I'm pretty set on the Beretta U22 Neos as a plinker, unless you guys have other suggestion.

For something more substantial, the Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm Convertible Revolver, anyone have any experience with this gun and is it worth it? I am really taken with the fact it can shoot three different ammos, 9mm, .357 and .38 special.

Ihave experience with long guns and familiar for hwat to look for with them but no idea when it comes to pistols, so any help is appreciated.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Preacherman
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Location: Truth is - I'm a 'REAL Baptist' no matter where I am!!!!!!!

Re: Pistol Suggestion

Post by Preacherman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Thoth wrote:If things go right I will eventually get a couple of pistol permits (if JCPD can get its act together and issue a permit within my lifetime). Anyway

I think I'm pretty set on the Beretta U22 Neos as a plinker, unless you guys have other suggestion.

For something more substantial, the Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm Convertible Revolver, anyone have any experience with this gun and is it worth it? I am really taken with the fact it can shoot three different ammos, 9mm, .357 and .38 special.

Ihave experience with long guns and familiar for hwat to look for with them but no idea when it comes to pistols, so any help is appreciated.

PLINKER - a good .22 - good choice - I would go with the Ruger .22 semi auto - they are tough as nails - and are great for instinct (point and shoot) practice (fits the hand great) - I had a 'bull bbl' model that I could easily hit gallon cans with at 100 yards - so they are very accurate - also I just like Ruger!!!
For something more substantial
If by this you mean 'just a larger caliber' - then you have made a wise choice - again, a Ruger is tough as nails - the 'Blackhawk' is one of the stoutest revolvers on the market.

But if you mean for 'self defence' - NO WAY - the Blackhawk is a SA revolver - hard to reload in a fire-fight - if you mean a 'duty' pistol, then by all means check out a .45 Kimber - built around the old 1911 idea - tough, reliable, and a .45 is probably the best 'self defence' round, hands down - ask Jeff Cooper - who ever he was - :wink:

I remember how much I used to LOVE handguns - I reloaded for all I ever owned - they are a GREAT hobby!!!!!!! Enjoy Brother!!!
"Give a man an open Bible, an open mind, a conscience in good working order, and he will have a hard time to keep from being a Baptist." ATR

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:28 pm

I am a big fan of the single action Ruger. I like the old models the best (3 screw, non-transfer bar) if you go with an old model you should only load 5 rounds and leave the hammer on an empty chamber. The old models are getting hard to find and I do not know what they are worth these days. I suggest you go with the Superblackhawk in 44mag instead of 38/9mm/357 if you can find one. You can always shoot 44specials in a 44mag revolver.
Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:42 pm

Choosing both a Beretta and a Ruger tells me you are not tied to a particular brand or style, which is good. The Beretta looks like a good plinker, but I have no first-hand experience with the .22 (although I've put about a bajillionty rounds thru a Beretta 9 mil).

Are you married to a wheel gun for the big dog? What are your plans for your 'more substantial' pistola?
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:43 pm

Roadmaster wrote:I am a big fan of the single action Ruger. I like the old models the best
+1 for the Ruger 3 screw. Ruger also makes a great Single action .22 called the "Single Six", great plinker in the classic S/A.
Good carry gun is the Glock 36, its a small and easily concealable .45
Beretta makes a pocket pistol called the Bobcat in .22, holds 7+1
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Preacherman wrote:

But if you mean for 'self defence' - NO WAY - the Blackhawk is a SA revolver - hard to reload in a fire-fight - if you mean a 'duty' pistol, then by all means check out a .45 Kimber - built around the old 1911 idea - tough, reliable, and a .45 is probably the best 'self defence' round, hands down
I am going to disagree, with all due respect PM. Most self-defense situations are settled with less than 5 rounds. 45’s and for that matter semiautomatics in general are prone to jam. He is new to handguns and single actions are the simplest and most reliable.
Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:48 pm

Yep. I concur with Roadmaster and Jocose. I have a Ruger Single Six, Bearcat and Vaquero.
Last edited by FlyCruiser on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesley

"I'll take on all you sissies w/ one hand tied behind my back!" -Dennisthemenace

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:50 pm

FlyCruiser wrote: I actually carried the Vaquero as my service pistol for a month before I got caught lol...
Sweet! I had a .45 Vaquero in stainless with a 4 + 5/8" barrel...Awesome rig.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:52 pm

As far as the Ruger convertible is concerned, I have never been a fan of 'jack-of-all-trades' devices. The fact that this is a JOAT that deals with explosives, pressure, and projectiles... I am triply against it.

I'll agree with PM on the bigger piece. A Kimber or other semiauto based on the 1911 is always a good choice, as well as my standard response to "what pistol should I get?" questions. Unless you have small hands or are averse to semiauto pistols in larger calibers, you would have a hard time finding a better piece.

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:53 pm

Roadmaster wrote:Most self-defense situations are settled with less than 5 rounds.
And a lot of them could be settled with a sjambok, but that's a different story.

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Preacherman wrote:

But if you mean for 'self defence' - NO WAY - the Blackhawk is a SA revolver - hard to reload in a fire-fight - if you mean a 'duty' pistol, then by all means check out a .45 Kimber - built around the old 1911 idea - tough, reliable, and a .45 is probably the best 'self defence' round, hands down
I am going to disagree, with all due respect PM. Most self-defense situations are settled with less than 5 rounds. 45’s and for that matter semiautomatics in general are prone to jam. He is new to handguns and single actions are the simplest and most reliable.
Yep
Last edited by FlyCruiser on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesley

"I'll take on all you sissies w/ one hand tied behind my back!" -Dennisthemenace

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:55 pm

+1 for the Ruger 22 bull barrel plinker.

I have the "gov't model" (bought 20 yrs ago, not sure they still offer) that came with adj target sights, laser sighted at the factory. With standard velocity rounds, I was out-plinking my buddies' 22 rifles. Fantastic pistol.

SA pistol is a good 3rd or 4th gun, for fun, NO WAY for self defense. Single Action = Double Slow; slow to load, slow to fire. Kimber 45 autos are top shelf, but 45's typically take a LOT of practice.

I'm old school, my self defense arm is a Browning hi-power, my revolver is a big N-frame S&W 357 7" (model 27, I think, not a very common gun).

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Practice, practice, practice.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:58 pm

bean_counter wrote:
SA pistol is a good 3rd or 4th gun, for fun, NO WAY for self defense. Single Action = Double Slow; slow to load, slow to fire.
Slow to load maybe...Slow to fire? Ever seen someone "fan" a S/A, you'd have 6 rounds in ya before you hit the ground.

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:02 pm

Jocose wrote:
bean_counter wrote:
SA pistol is a good 3rd or 4th gun, for fun, NO WAY for self defense. Single Action = Double Slow; slow to load, slow to fire.
Slow to load maybe...Slow to fire? Ever seen someone "fan" a S/A, you'd have 6 rounds in ya before you hit the ground.
I saw Ned Nederlander do it in The Three Amigos. Does that count? German cat said that it was all movie special effects, though.

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:02 pm

Jocose wrote:
FlyCruiser wrote: I actually carried the Vaquero as my service pistol for a month before I got caught lol...
Sweet! I had a .45 Vaquero in stainless with a 4 + 5/8" barrel...Awesome rig.
Haha.. Mine is the .45 in blued with the 5 and 1/2" barrel. I love that gun. I'd trust my life with that gun more than the .40 Glock model 23 I carried for 3 years.
Wesley

bean_counter

Post by bean_counter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Jocose wrote:Slow to load maybe...Slow to fire? Ever seen someone "fan" a S/A, you'd have 6 rounds in ya before you hit the ground.
only in Hollywood and at cowboy shoots

oh, yeah, I saw some moron try it at a range, he bloodied his palm with the firing pin on the 3rd or 4th round (which fired when he dropped the pistol)

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:07 pm

bean_counter wrote:
Jocose wrote:Slow to load maybe...Slow to fire? Ever seen someone "fan" a S/A, you'd have 6 rounds in ya before you hit the ground.
only in Hollywood and at cowboy shoots

oh, yeah, I saw some moron try it at a range, he bloodied his palm with the firing pin on the 3rd or 4th round (which fired when he dropped the pistol)
I can comfortably (read: accurately and not firing like a crazy ass) fire my SA Vaquero as smoothly (read: quickly and accurately) as my Glock. Now just slinging lead everywhere, the Glock is quite a bit faster. But if thats ones style of shooting then one shouldn't have a gun especially in a high stress self defense situation.
Wesley

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:10 pm

bean_counter wrote:

I saw some moron try it at a range, he bloodied his palm with the firing pin on the 3rd or 4th round (which fired when he dropped the pistol)
I read a story in the local paper where a guy in the hospital had a gun shot wound in the foot and wouldnt say how it happened, until the police showed up, turns out he was quick drawing on a snowman in his back yard when the accident happened...

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:21 pm

sysiphus wrote:
Jocose wrote:
bean_counter wrote:
I saw Ned Nederlander do it in The Three Amigos. Does that count?
Yes, Ned is a bad a**