Nostalgia

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Nostalgia

Post by LushMojo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:47 pm

I'm a child of the 70's (born in '71) and nothing, ABSOLUTELY nothing gives me more of a tangible nostalgia than the jingle from old Lowenbrau commercials like the following. Makes me think of Sunday afternoons, lunch after church and watching Wide World of Sports with my dad.

What does it for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMwMqTI ... re=related

Here it is from the 80s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG3og36H ... re=related

And a cheesy spoof on the commercial, but it's got the song. Always thought the singer was Lou Rawls, but now I'm pretty sure it was someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va_NuPvqcPA
Small town doc in Friday Harbor. Adult convert Catholic.

darthsaturn
Soon to be Chock Full O' Nuts
Soon to be Chock Full O' Nuts

Post by darthsaturn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:49 pm

The last one was funny. But the others, with men hugging and touching each other, I don't know about that.
"If you like smoking a pipe, then smoke an ever loving pipe and stop being such a Nancy about it." A Morely

"I'm not even a woman and I find that offensive" Kerdy.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:20 pm

I, also, was born in '71. Episodes of MASH on TVLand and music from the 50 through the 70's. Especially ABBA, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, and the Momma's and the Papa's, etc. We listened to music a lot when I was growing up. I remember we had a huge cabinet style record table. In the Spring and Summer we would open up the windows to the house and play records all day. I can feel the breeze on my face now. Ahhh...
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

CaptainBlack
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CaptainBlack » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 pm

I was born in '65 but I identify with the culture of the '70s and '80s as well.

Dave
The Flying Dutchman
The Flying Dutchman

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm with you, Lush. That jingle always stuck with me as well - reminds me of watching Wide World of Sports on Saturdays, or golf on the TV at my grandparents' house on a Sunday afternoon.

The other one that always stuck with me is the Hamms jingle they always played at the ball park. "From the land of sky-blue waters, comes the beer refreshing..."

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:23 pm

Wow I totally forgot about that. Though the opening from Wide World of Sports stock with me more especially the ski jumper wipe out.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

hoss
Usher
Usher

Post by hoss » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:44 am

SlowToke wrote:I, also, was born in '71. Episodes of MASH on TVLand and music from the 50 through the 70's. Especially ABBA, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, and the Momma's and the Papa's, etc. We listened to music a lot when I was growing up. I remember we had a huge cabinet style record table. In the Spring and Summer we would open up the windows to the house and play records all day. I can feel the breeze on my face now. Ahhh...
MASH was one of my brother's favorite shows, so we watched that a lot as i was a kid as well. What ever happened to the Greatest American Hero? LOL

We spun a lot of records from a cabinet-style player also (it came complete with a state of the art 8 track system built in). :wink:

Favorite records ranged from Steve Miller Band to Dire Straits. We played a ton of stuff, but some of my favorites were the Beattles,
Grateful Dead, Supertramp, Van Morrison, Hendrix and Zeppelin, The Who, Rolling Stones, Eagles...etc etc...i could go on and on. :lol:

I still listen to a lot of that stuff on the classic rock station while i work. Some of the songs really take me back to when i was a kid and i find myself thinking about how much life has changed since then. When i start feeling like i'm getting old that's when i realize it's time to get my mind back on work! <redacted_emoji>

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:55 am

Wow, there's kind of a crowd of us from '71. Weird, I thought I was the Old Man.

Maybe I still am.
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:40 am

Born in 70 here.

For me the thing that reminds me of my childhood is the smell of a dairy farm.

Sad but true.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 am

edited: duplicate entry
Last edited by SlowToke on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wayne Teipen
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:53 am

hoss wrote:What ever happened to the Greatest American Hero? LOL
Man, I remember when that first came out. We thought it was the greatest TV show ever. I remember recording the theme song on my tape player from the TV speaker and playing it on the school bus and thinking I was cool. Good times.
Wayne Teipen

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:13 am

SlowToke wrote:
Man, I remember when that first came out. We thought it was the greatest TV show ever. I remember recording the theme song on my tape player from the TV speaker and playing it on the school bus and thinking I was cool. Good times.
Believe it or not, I'm walkin' on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-ee-ee.
Flyin' away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not, it's just me.

(And, yes, that was just from memory. Shelved next to the Hugh "Lumpy" Brannum info. It would be cool to have Robert Culp as a sidekick.)

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:11 am

SlowToke wrote:
You can get it on DVD these days.

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-American ... 783&sr=8-1

Comes with a free cape as well.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:16 am

Another TV series around that time was Tales of the Gold Monkey.

Kinda an Indiana Jones rip off, but we loved it growing up.

Airwolf was another series that had every kid wanting to be a chopper pilot when he grew up.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:28 am

Dug wrote:(And, yes, that was just from memory. Shelved next to the Hugh "Lumpy" Brannum info. It would be cool to have Robert Culp as a sidekick.)
And Connie Sellecca as a girlfriend.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

snede2112
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by snede2112 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:40 am

bilder wrote:Another TV series around that time was Tales of the Gold Monkey.

Kinda an Indiana Jones rip off, but we loved it growing up.

I remember that, Jake, Jack the dog and a Grummin Goose. I think that show and "Black Sheep Squadron" (watched as Sunday re-runs in the '80s) triggered my interest in aviation.
-Eric

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:49 am

Here is a site that has a bunch of old series that only ran a season or two.

http://goldmonkey.com/catalog/

I see a few in there that bring back a memory or two. Nothing beats the smell of the farm though.

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:27 am

SlowToke wrote:I, also, was born in '71. Episodes of MASH on TVLand and music from the 50 through the 70's. Especially ABBA, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, and the Momma's and the Papa's, etc. We listened to music a lot when I was growing up. I remember we had a huge cabinet style record table. In the Spring and Summer we would open up the windows to the house and play records all day. I can feel the breeze on my face now. Ahhh...
Dude, M*A*S*H is one of my absolute favorite shows of all time (tied with Andy Griffith). I could seriously watching it every single day and never complain. Hawkeye is the bomb.

The only thing that ever bothered me about the show was that the character that did the camp announcements over the PA didn't seem to exist. I mean, it wasn't Radar or Klinger. And no one ever seemed to mention it.
Small town doc in Friday Harbor. Adult convert Catholic.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:02 am

LushMojo wrote:The only thing that ever bothered me about the show was that the character that did the camp announcements over the PA didn't seem to exist. I mean, it wasn't Radar or Klinger. And no one ever seemed to mention it.
I thought Radar did many of the PA announcements.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:07 am

Dug wrote:
LushMojo wrote:The only thing that ever bothered me about the show was that the character that did the camp announcements over the PA didn't seem to exist. I mean, it wasn't Radar or Klinger. And no one ever seemed to mention it.
I thought Radar did many of the PA announcements.
Well whaddya know. You learn something new every day: http://www.bestcareanywhere.net/announcements.htm (I only wish that some days that something were more useful...)