Are you new to forums? Come on in.
EAGLE1
Congregation
Congregation

Post by EAGLE1 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:57 pm

When I check in on the forum, the topics that have replies added to a subject will be colored/highlighted. However, when I check into the first category and read whatever post has been replied to and then get back to the main topics, the areas that were highlighted when I first checked in are no longer highlighted. I hope I said that understandable. Am I the only one that happens to? :oops:
Good and peaceful smokes to all!

MikeLeverette
Congregation
Congregation

Post by MikeLeverette » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:30 pm

Eagle1 - me too!
Have a great day in the Lord and Happy puffing
Mike

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:11 pm

The colors are actually assigned by your webbrowser as visitied or not visitied links. Once you click a link, it will change colors depending on your browser setup.

At the top of the Forum Index, there shuold be a link to "View Posts Since Last Visit" ( CLICK HERE)

I would bookmark that page. Every time you refresh it, it will show the newest links first and which ones of have been read or not.

Let me know if this helps.
Blessings, Tony
Tony McCallie :pipe:

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:39 am

You can also look for the little square icon with an arrow next to a topic - this shows that there are new posts. At least for me, those do not go away until you've clicked on that link.

On the main forums paige, forums with new posts have thier icons colored black. I like to go to this page and click into each of the "black" forums.

EAGLE1
Congregation
Congregation

Post by EAGLE1 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:02 am

As I suspected, I did not state the thing correctly. Since Mike and I privately correspond, he understood as I guess he has come to understand the jest of what I attempt to communicate. 8)

Let me try again. When I click on the main page, categories such as Forum Questions, Fellowship Hall, Bio and General will be highlighted. So, I click on Forum Question and each topic there has the little arrow which indeed does remain lit until I read that particular one. However, when I get back to the main forum page, the Fellowship Hall, Bio and General categories which was highlighted when I first opened the forum are no longer there. So, either I have to remember (yeah, sure) which was highlighted or go to every category that shows entries have been made on the current date to find the topics whith the arrows.

Maybe I am not unsing the correct terms when I say category, topic, etc., but, that is what I call them at any rate. Not to worry as it's no big deal. I just wondered if it's my computer or does it happen to others. Since Mike understood me and it also happens to him, that confirms it is not with my computer.

Thanks.

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:06 am

That's odd, for me when I use the main forum paige the unread forums remain highlighted, and if new posts have been made elsewhere they become highlighted as well.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:08 am

That doesn't usually happen to me... though I've seen it once or twice. I was accessing the forums last night through the AOL browswer on my wife's pc at home when I noticed that. I assumed it was the AOL browswer.

John-Boy
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:33 am

EAGLE1,
A couple of questions:
What browser are you using? IE, Netscape, Mozilla, AOL, etc..
Do you know what your cookie settings are?

The forum bases the new/not new/read/not read colors and highlights based on your session cookie. I do know that if you restart the session (ie close the browser in most cases) it will assume everything was read for that session. It should only happen when you close the browser, not when you change pages. That's what makes me suspect your cookie settings. This is generally pretty standardized, but some browsers aren't very good with standards :? It makes programming web applications a living nightmare sometimes. If you will kindly answer the questions above, I may be able to help you out.

Blessings, Tony
Tony McCallie :pipe:

EAGLE1
Congregation
Congregation

Post by EAGLE1 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:46 am

I use Internet Explorer, but don't worry about it. Thanks.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:19 pm

EAGLE1 wrote:don't worry about it. Thanks.
Are you kidding? Now that Tony's home he's probably going to be laying awake trying to figure this one out. :huh: Good luck, Tony.

John-Boy
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Lost in Christian Pipe Smokers Cyber Space (?)

Post by Tatanka » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:28 pm

My first post, "Deciding upon best / most pleasant tobacco" ended up being sent to myself. I can't find it anywhere on the forum except in my own private opening info page. I can't find a way to write to the manager of the forum or find out how to post a new post in any given designated area.

I'm in this black hole here, talking to myself, with myself answering, and I've found out "myself" is a duh-brain old poop!

"Haaalp!" Anyone.
:(
And what is BBCode? Should I have HTML "On"? I'm also in Pacific Time Zone and don't know how to figure that out from the option shown somewhere. LOST, needing to be saved! (smile)

choiceofbeverage
Elder
Elder

Re: Lost in Christian Pipe Smokers Cyber Space (?)

Post by choiceofbeverage » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Tatanka wrote:My first post, "Deciding upon best / most pleasant tobacco" ended up being sent to myself. I can't find it anywhere on the forum except in my own private opening info page. I can't find a way to write to the manager of the forum or find out how to post a new post in any given designated area.

I'm in this black hole here, talking to myself, with myself answering, and I've found out "myself" is a duh-brain old poop!

"Haaalp!" Anyone.
:(
And what is BBCode? Should I have HTML "On"? I'm also in Pacific Time Zone and don't know how to figure that out from the option shown somewhere. LOST, needing to be saved! (smile)
Hey Tatanka! welcome.

-Go to what you've written and copy it.
-Click on "Forums" in the menu on the right hand side
-Click on the "Tobacco Hut" forum about half way down the page
-Click "New Topic" and paste your message/question!

then post you're introduction in the "Bio" forum so we can barrage you welcomes and quotes of welcome.

JL
No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversations as a dog does.
-Christopher Morley

Tatanka

Reply to Choiceofbeverage - JL

Post by Tatanka » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Amazing! The first glimmer of light and hope, JL. Thanks so much for replying. I will now immediately attempt to follow your excellent, step by step instructions and see if I end up in another padded cell, or can actually step into the room where you all are sitting around drinking a "choice of beverage" and perhaps puffing away.

Jess

Tatanka

2nd reply to "Choiceofbeverage."

Post by Tatanka » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:09 pm

JL, I can't copy my message. All it allows me to do is "Clip" and that will not allow me to "paste" it. I tried going to the top and clicking on my "Edit" but the copy, paste, etc. was whited out.

Jus a little frustrated here..... Looked for ages, trying to be able to contact the Moderator or Administrator, without bothering a forum member, but I could not find any way to get a "HELP!" message to anyone designated as a person to deal with newbie's like me.

Jess

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:31 pm

I heartily recommend that you introduce yourself in a BIO thread, and we'll take care of business there!

- Forums
- Bios

Let us know how you do!!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:07 pm

Will try that. Thanks.

J.