site down often?

Are you new to forums? Come on in.
Tyler

site down often?

Post by Tyler » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:31 pm

I have on several occassions received the message that this site didn't exist when I tried to come over and check out the forums. I have now noticed that it happens EVERYTIME I try to get to the site from my homoe computer. I noticed in the "commercial trades" section that ArtGuy has the exact same problem. Any thoughts?

At home I use dial-up instead of broadband, and I am running an old win98 machine instead of XP. Is there perhaps a setting that I have worng that isn't allow me in from the house? Is it just happenstance that when I am home the site is down?

PLEASE HELP! I enjoy talking to you guys and I really want to be able to check things out from home.

Best,
Tyler

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:34 am

I get the message occasionally - but not from only one place. I've gotten it at home and at work. Usually within 5 - 10 minutes it seems to work for me.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:53 am

i get some kind of Gateway error timout deal when trying to access from home. Occasionaly I can get on but only every now and again. I too use a dialup and a windows 98 machine.
John

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:38 am

I have not experienced any of these problems, on dial-up or on broadband. As far as I know, the site has never been "down". The hosting company we use is out of California ( http://www.barefooting.com ). I do have to admit though, there is a lot to this site as far as how much information it loads.

I always recommend doing your updates with Microsoft. There are so many security holes in Microsofts stuff, its too dangerous not to. I also highly recommend using browsers other than IE for several reasons. Primarily security, but also because of IEEE standards which Miscrosoft doesn't like to follow. As a programmer, they are a real pain to work with. Personally, I use Mozilla Firebird ( http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/ ) because it is fast and blocks popups. The install is not as easy as some, but I think it's worth it. It is a 6mb download, which over dial-up can be pretty lengthly. If any of you are interested in a cd with that or anything else big that needs to be downloaded, let me know and I'll mail it to you.

I'm looking into syndicating the forum into a weekly/daily/monthly email. If I can find a way to do this, it would allow more people to *read* the forums, but it doesn't help with posting.

If we need to look at a different hosting solution, I'm open to that. Like I said, I haven't had any trouble, but why doesn't everyone whose had trouble either email me or post here so I can get a feel for how bad the problem is.

Blessings all, Tony
Last edited by tonymccallie on Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony McCallie :pipe:

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:42 am

p.s. I will put in a trouble ticket with the hosting company and see what I can find out. In the mean time, some of you might be interested in using an rss feed reader. See my post about it HERE

Blessings, Tony

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:51 am

I got a response back from the hosting company. They say there are no problems, but if you who are having the issue will send me your ping results, it might help.
Here's what you do:
Open a command line.
Click start and Run. In win98, type "command"(no quotes) in win2k, "cmd"(no quotes)
Hit enter
Type "ping www.christianpipesmokers.org"(no quotes) and hit enter
Highlight the information it spits out and hit "Enter", this should copy the information to the clip board.
Open a reply to this message and paste the information (CTRL-V or Click on Edit->Paste in the toolbar)
It should look like this:
ping wrote:C:\>ping www.christianpipesmokers.org

Pinging www.christianpipesmokers.org [161.99.97.182] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 161.99.97.182: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 161.99.97.182:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
I will pass this information along to the hosting company.
You also might include your operating system and browser.

Thanks guys, I hope we can get this resolved.

Blessings, Tony

Sirbax
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sirbax » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:05 pm

just as a note from the other side, I havenot had any problems getting to the site.
I am using XP and "I KNOW I KNOW Don't tell me" Internet Explorer, and am on a DSL connection.
<div>Hear my weekly PODCAST on the history of the world around us at <a href="http://www.audioalmanac.com/">www.AudioAlmanac.com</a>. <br><br>Please spread the word on this PODCAST!!!</div><br>

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:56 am

tonymccallie wrote: Highlight the information it spits out and hit "Enter", this should copy the information to the clip board.
In my experience, copy and paste do not work into or out of a command window.
If God is your co-pilot, you're sitting in the wrong seat.

ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:23 am

I downloaded the firebird browser last night. ( 15 minutes or so on 56K dial up) I tried to get onto the site and it said www.christianpipesmokers.org did not exist??? I will try again tonight as I did not restart my computer after the download.
John

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:06 am

ArtGuy wrote:I downloaded the firebird browser last night. ( 15 minutes or so on 56K dial up) I tried to get onto the site and it said www.christianpipesmokers.org did not exist??? I will try again tonight as I did not restart my computer after the download.
Did other sites exist?

Blessings, Tony

ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:26 am

Yes. I could get onto any of the other sites I wanted.
John

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:33 am

OK, ArtGuy. It really sounds like a network issue then. If you can do the ping thing (see my earlier post) I'll get that info to the support guys and see what they can do.

ArtGuy and srguthrie: If you can't copy and paste from the command window, change the ping command to this:
ping wrote:ping www.christianpipesmokers.org > c:\ping.txt
Then go to My Computer, The C drive and paste the information from the text file ping.txt.

I really pray we can get this resolved.

Many blessings all, Tony

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:51 am

I get the same message the ArtGuy is describing. This is the only site that I frequent that gives such an error. In fact, the only time I see such an error -- other than for this site -- is when I am clicking on someone's link page and hit a an apparent dead link.

I do have IE, and I have no idea how out of date it may be (it is version 6). Are there some security patches that affect things so radically that I could no longer view certain sites since I did not upgrade?

Thanks!

Tyler

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:55 am

Tyler, if you are in IE 6 you *should* be OK. I really think there is another issue at hand. Please everyone get me your ping information so I can get it to the support guys.

Blessings, Tony

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:42 am

The support guys have requested traceroutes if they can get them as well:
c:\>tracert www.christianpipesmokers.org > c:\trace.txt
Thanks for your patience guys. Blessings, Tony

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:23 pm

tonymccallie wrote:ArtGuy and srguthrie: If you can't copy and paste from the command window, change the ping command to this:
I'm not having any problems.
If God is your co-pilot, you're sitting in the wrong seat.

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:18 pm

OK guys,
There are some serious network problems going on. I've been doing remote traceroutes and have been dealing very heavily with the support at barefooting.com. They have reset the webservers, name servers and routers for me, but the problem seems to be much higher up the stream. In putting our brains together, the only thing we can figure out is that because the domain is so new, the routes aren't established very well yet. Ufortunately, the only answer for this is to wait and the problem should clear up. It might be advisable to tell you ISP about your problem, or if you would like, I'd be more than happy to contact them for you if you will let me know who they are.

I had a thought the other day. It may sound a little charismatic, but I wouldn't be suprised if spritual forces were at work. I know, I know, I know, people blame too many things on spritual things that are misunderstood or are their/our own fault, but I really believe God had a plan in letting us create this site. Any time the children of God come together in fellowship and share in Love and Peace, even though we are very different in some of our personal beliefs, it is a witness to the world. The online world is a big one. I know for me, this site has pushed me in my faith in a great way. If you would, will you please pray for the site? Pray for the network access to the site specifically. Too often I want to rely on my own knowledge of networking and computers and I forget that God is in charge of those things too.

Many blessings to all of you. I for one will be praying,
Tony

Sirbax
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sirbax » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:26 am

Very good post, Tony. Even though I have not experianced any problems on my end, I will most surely be praying for God's almighty hand to to be upon this site.

To all others who read this post; Remember, we all may belong to diffrent denominations, but ultimately we all belong to Christs' Church.
<div>Hear my weekly PODCAST on the history of the world around us at <a href="http://www.audioalmanac.com/">www.AudioAlmanac.com</a>. <br><br>Please spread the word on this PODCAST!!!</div><br>

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:10 am

All right! I'm on at home!!!

Thanks for the effort Tony!!

:D :D :D

Tyler

ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:50 am

I had no problems getting on the site over the weekend. :D
John