Confused to the Max!

Are you new to forums? Come on in.
Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Confused to the Max!

Post by Tatanka » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 pm

1. I've never seen a Pirate flag and don't understand that.

2. Under the post name "Code Monkey" on 19 May 2011 at 5:50 a.m. it shows 53 posts and under the word "Elder" has 3 stars.

At 5:51 a. a minute later - same "Code Monkey" shows 1 star with the word "Congregation" and shows 24 posts. A minute later and it shows 24 posts.

The next post but same date for "Code Monkey" shows 8:39 a. and has "Brother of the Briar" with 5 stars and total posts 2,371. How is this possible?

down that same page is "Irish-Dane" with 4 stars and "The Proper Title" as a name and he shows 20,233 posts.

Questions: 1. What do the number of stars indicate?
2. What constitutes a post?
3. What do the different names (titles?) like "Brother of the Briar" which seems to be most prominent - mean? What changes them?
4. How does anyone have 20 thousand posts in a life time?

"Haaalp!" :? :? :?
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

tobacco_tenderfoot
Minister of Forward-slashing

Re: Confused to the Max!

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Tatanka wrote:1. I've never seen a Pirate flag and don't understand that.

2. Under the post name "Code Monkey" on 19 May 2011 at 5:50 a.m. it shows 53 posts and under the word "Elder" has 3 stars.

At 5:51 a. a minute later - same "Code Monkey" shows 1 star with the word "Congregation" and shows 24 posts. A minute later and it shows 24 posts.

The next post but same date for "Code Monkey" shows 8:39 a. and has "Brother of the Briar" with 5 stars and total posts 2,371. How is this possible?

down that same page is "Irish-Dane" with 4 stars and "The Proper Title" as a name and he shows 20,233 posts.

3. What do the different names (titles?) like "Brother of the Briar" which seems to be most prominent - mean? What changes them?

Pirate flag means cool it, thread is in danger of being locked. Someone is probably being an a-hole.

1 - correlates to how many posts you have. Also a way for mods to have fun and mess with someone's profile.
2 - the qualifications for a post vary from person to person.
3 - See 1.
4 - Understanding wife? Lapse in employment? Lack of friends? Enthusiasm for Pipe Tobacco and/or Christianity.
"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI

CaptainMathias
Inadequately tender breasts
Inadequately tender breasts

Post by CaptainMathias » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 pm

witchcraft or platypi is my guess
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Tatanka wrote:1. I've never seen a Pirate flag and don't understand that.

I understand.

The user name, avatar, date of joining, number of posts and sometimes the stated location of the user are the useful bits of information on the left of the forum screen. It would probably be best if CPSers had no history with any other forums on the internet, then they wouldn't expect those other things to mean anything. The folks that have been around much longer than I have generally say that the stars and titles are a playground for the administrators and moderators. It is a free site and they do all the work behind the scenes, so I guess they deserve recess and a place to have it. I hope this helps a bit.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Tobacco-Tenderfoot - - you have over 1700 posts and I have only 300 and we both have 5 stars!

Are you suggesting ("saying" under cover of darkness) that the mods flip a coin or forget to upgrade the number of stars, or ________?

I can't comprehend how it's possible to jump from like 24 posts to 2,371 on the SAME DAY!

Do I need to press One for English? :lol:
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

tobacco_tenderfoot

Post by tobacco_tenderfoot » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Tatanka wrote:Tobacco-Tenderfoot - - you have over 1700 posts and I have only 300 and we both have 5 stars!

Are you suggesting ("saying" under cover of darkness) that the mods flip a coin or forget to upgrade the number of stars, or ________?

I can't comprehend how it's possible to jump from like 24 posts to 2,371 on the SAME DAY!

I think 5 is the default max before the mods start playing games.

I think the more important question that has been overlooked is this...do you have an unhealthy obsession with CodeMonkey?
"One who has hope, lives differently" - Pope Benedict XVI

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Tatanka wrote:Tobacco-Tenderfoot - - you have over 1700 posts and I have only 300 and we both have 5 stars!

Are you sure you weren't dreaming about CPS when you saw that? :lol:

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:34 pm

A while back, as a rib on my friend Phill, I created the altar egos 'CodeMunkey' and 'CodeMokney'. It's possible that you were seeing the boys.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Umm...like me, I don't think you have any stars.

I think they light up yellow when you get one. I think the gray ones are to show where they would be if you had them (kind of like nipples on men).
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 pm

you have called down the thunder...

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 pm

I understand.

The user name, avatar, date of joining, number of posts and sometimes the stated location of the user are the useful bits of information on the left of the forum screen. It would probably be best if CPSers had no history with any other forums on the internet, then they wouldn't expect those other things to mean anything. The folks that have been around much longer than I have generally say that the stars and titles are a playground for the administrators and moderators. It is a free site and they do all the work behind the scenes, so I guess they deserve recess and a place to have it. I hope this helps a bit.

I see I have to learn how to copy and paste. I wish they would allow us to reply immediately to the single poster immediately.
My analytical nature searches for logic and the practical. Evidently what I see under the avatar/names I need to take more loosely and forget any comparisons as a way to find logic (?). Still :?
Soli Deo Gloria!

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:48 pm

Hmm :? Now can I find a CPS Psychologist to deal with my possible problem with an obsession with crazy monkeys?
Soli Deo Gloria!

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Tatanka wrote: 4. How does anyone have 20 thousand posts in a life time?
Why don't you have 20 thousand posts?!? What's wrong with you?

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Tatanka wrote: 2. Under the post name "Code Monkey" on 19 May 2011 at 5:50 a.m. it shows 53 posts and under the word "Elder" has 3 stars.

You're misinterpreting something. Those are not the facts concerning the number of his posts nor their distribution.
Post the URL of the page on which you're seeing this. Go up to the page URL address line and click on it so that it's highlighted then press ctrl and c simultaneously. You've copied the URL. Now come back here and post again here and then put your cursor on the open post area and press cntrl and v simultaneously. You'll see that the URL that was copied is now in the post.

As for the 20,000+ posts... some have a lot to say and they post prolifically.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

It's probably CodeMonkey, CodeMokney, and CodeMunkey. Same avatars.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:01 pm

[quote="JudgeRusty/].

I think they light up yellow when you get one.[/quote] perhaps I am mistaken. I thought I had seen that.

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 pm

You can use the 'quote' button found in every post for direct replies. Stars and titles are set to change at default intervals, but the admin team has the ability to change many of these attributes on a per-user basis (without draconian intentions) as they see fit. Those with 'custom' information have usually done or said something noteworthy that requires some notariety. playground for the mods' has a nice ring to it. It's all tongue-in-cheek, and not meant to harm.
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Tatanka wrote: I wish they would allow us to reply immediately to the single poster immediately.
Like I just did here, you mean?

Tatanka wrote:My analytical nature searches for logic and the practical. Evidently what I see under the avatar/names I need to take more loosely and forget any comparisons as a way to find logic (?). Still :?
Well, I use logic every day in troubleshooting electronic systems and it all makes sense to me. Let me take a whack at explaining it to you.

The first thing at the top on the left is your user name. Self-explanatory.

The next thing down is your "moniker" or a descriptive name assigned to you by the sysops. It may or may not be related to your characteristics or behavior as displayed here on CPS. It is best to leave this alone.

The next thing is the stars. Theoretically, you start out with one star, then gain more stars as you make more posts, up to a maximum of five. The sysops can increase or decrease the number of stars as needed. Again, best not to mess with this.

The next thing is your avatar. Self-explanatory.

The next thing is the date you became a member of CPS. Self-explanatory.

The next thing is the number of posts you've made. This just depends on how much time you spend here and how much you want to say.

The next thing is your geographic location. A lot of people put something silly here. I wish everyone would put their actual geographic location. Otherwise, it's self-explanatory.
Last edited by Steverino on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Fellas, I have to leave this interesting discussion to go with my wife to a Health Food store to buy some bottled or canned "health" ???

And thanks Rusty for the info. I'll experiment later to see if I can "just do it."
My history is that following any and all instructions, steps, details of anyone that pertain to doing ANYTHING electronically on the computer - - like changing pictures and especially placing photos in a post - - I've NEVER been able to do that! - - I simply fail. When they say click on the such-and such link, I never find such a link.

Maybe I need to snort some "canned" health food for the brain and hand!

L8R guys. Have a good day. Maybe when I return I'll be healthier! At least weighing less! Now THAT'S my current great challenge! Lose 40 lbs!
How can you lose it, when it's always with you???
Soli Deo Gloria!

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Tatanka wrote: I wish they would allow us to reply immediately to the single poster immediately.
Like I just did here, you mean?

Tatanka wrote:My analytical nature searches for logic and the practical. Evidently what I see under the avatar/names I need to take more loosely and forget any comparisons as a way to find logic (?). Still :?
Well, I use logic every day in troubleshooting electronic systems and I think I understand how the CPS works. Let me take a whack at explaining it to you.

The first thing at the top on the left is your user name. Self-explanatory.

The next thing down is your "moniker" or a descriptive name assigned to you by the sysops. (I believe the first few show up by default like the stars. It may or may not be related to your characteristics or behavior as displayed here on CPS. It is best to leave this alone.

The next thing is the stars. Theoretically, you start out with one star, then gain more stars as you make more posts, up to a maximum of five. The sysops can increase or decrease the number of stars as needed. Again, best not to mess with this.

The next thing is your avatar. Self-explanatory.

The next thing is the date you became a member of CPS. Self-explanatory.

The next thing is the number of posts you've made. This just depends on how much time you spend here and how much you want to say.

The next thing is your geographic location. A lot of people put something silly here. I wish everyone would put their actual geographic location. Otherwise, it's self-explanatory.

Coming from an engineering background where mathematical logic and calculations are the norm, I sometimes find that I tend to overthink or overanalyze some things. May I suggest that this is what has happened here - you may have attributed too much meaning/significance to the "stuff" on the left side. It's just there, it doesn't do anything except give you a little bit of info.

So does this help? If you have specific questions, I'll be glad to try to help you.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV