Customized Searches

Are you new to forums? Come on in.
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Customized Searches

Post by FredS » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Santa wants to know - Do any of you nerds know of a way to search a specific thread for a post by a specific user?

There are a couple of long running threads that might serve up some nuggets about users likes and dislikes that could be useful if one knew how to mine for such nuggets.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Sure. In the google box type in words from the thread title and the userid of the poor sod. That should net posts in the target thread by the poor sod. Example: Useless Facts FredS

911 hits! Including a useless facts thread dedicated solely to FredS. Wow, shopper suggestions galore.

Let's refine it substantially. Suppose you vaguely remember FredS posting about fishnet underwear. Ok so just add fishnet to the list - Useless Facts fishnet FredS.

No hits.

Ok now cross fishnet underwear off the list for FredS and try another gift idea. You need to enjoy repetition with this game.

If instead one searched using Useless Facts Fishing FredS then you`ll get one hit.... from June 2009. That seems to be the only one Google knows about though I think you've mentioned fishing more often than that. This highlights the dilemma. Neither of the search utilities have all the data.

Savvy?

You can also do this in the CPS search but it allows you to specify the exact poster name. But it has a limited past horizon as well. For example using the CPS Search with Useless Facts Fishing with FredS as the poster (and search for all terms selected) will not get a hit. But Google doesn't have everything either.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks Rusty. You were the nerd I hoped would reply.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe