Links in new window?

Are you new to forums? Come on in.
Post Reply
User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 15467
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Links in new window?

Post by gaining_age » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Links in new windows? I liked the way it did that before... is that a change we can get in the 2.0?

https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/making ... w-windows/
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration
Posts: 24182
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Slightly East of Pepik
Contact:

Re: Links in new window?

Post by Skip » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:22 pm

gaining_age wrote:Links in new windows? I liked the way it did that before... is that a change we can get in the 2.0?

https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/making ... w-windows/
Right click.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32293
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Links in new window?

Post by John-Boy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Skip wrote:
gaining_age wrote:Links in new windows? I liked the way it did that before... is that a change we can get in the 2.0?

https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/making ... w-windows/
Right click.
How was it before? I can't hardly remember those days.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Links in new window?

Post by Pepik » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:27 pm

From the phpBB3.0 Developers:


Home ‹ Support ‹ Knowledge Base ‹ phpBB3 ‹ Miscellanea ‹ Links Opening New Windows

Code: Select all

Knowledge Base
Links Opening New Windows
Article ID: 145
Written By: zeroK
Written On: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:32 pm
Description: Describes how to make links on phpBB3 boards open new windows.

link to this article on phpbb.com: Select All
    [kb=links-opening-new-windows]Links Opening New Windows[/kb]

link to this article on your own board: Select All
    [url=http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-opening-new-windows/]Knowledge Base - Links Opening New Windows[/url]

Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behaviour: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.

So ... working as intended.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 15467
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Links in new window?

Post by gaining_age » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Oh.

I liked the new tab opening up by default... however, that's not a complaint, just a comparison and something to workaround or get used to.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Links in new window?

Post by Pepik » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:51 pm

gaining_age wrote:Oh.

I liked the new tab opening up by default... however, that's not a complaint, just a comparison and something to workaround or get used to.

Oh boy - did you luck out. Just found and installed a MOD that maintains the XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation but allows for the behavior you're looking for. Try it now.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 15467
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Links in new window?

Post by gaining_age » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Pepik wrote:
gaining_age wrote:Oh.

I liked the new tab opening up by default... however, that's not a complaint, just a comparison and something to workaround or get used to.

Oh boy - did you luck out. Just found and installed a MOD that maintains the XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation but allows for the behavior you're looking for. Try it now.

Ooh ooh!! link opens in a new tab... awesome!!!
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Links in new window?

Post by Pepik » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:16 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Pepik wrote:
gaining_age wrote:Oh.

I liked the new tab opening up by default... however, that's not a complaint, just a comparison and something to workaround or get used to.

Oh boy - did you luck out. Just found and installed a MOD that maintains the XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation but allows for the behavior you're looking for. Try it now.

Ooh ooh!! link opens in a new tab... awesome!!!
This is a combination of a nice fellow in Japan who wrote the Modification (MOD package) and the Automated Modification capability the new Boards have. It means as long as there is a modification out there that we want, it can be added very quickly.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Post Reply