CPS Ministries and Missions work

Are you new to forums? Come on in.
SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: CPS Ministries and Missions work

Post by SandPiper » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Cool! What part of the country you going to be in?
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Post by SmokinGordon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Santo Domingo.
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:49 pm

SmokinGordon wrote:Santo Domingo.
Take a cab, while there. Trust me.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:01 am

wow this is a cool thread I'm just coming across!
I enjoyed reading through your journeys and figured I'd share too.

The past few years, Mrs 14 and I have been trained in discipleship and mission through 3DM (3 Dimensional Ministries) while I've simultaneously been finishing up seminary (done at the end of next month :taco: ). We moved to Detroit in May of last year to start planting our roots before I graduate. The past nine months have been seeking God's direction for us here while developing and deepening relationships.

As of right now, we've joined up with a local church to disciple and train their leaders. The goal here being to give some tools of discipleship to leaders so, together, we can expand our reach out into our neighborhood and beyond.

It's been an challenging transition for us thus far, as the city of Detroit provides certain challenges along the way, but the Lord's provision has been overwhelmingly evident. Our journey is just truly getting going as we're both in the very beginning stages of working with this church and still a bit under 2 months away from finishing seminary. We're still flushing out what our forecast might look like long term. There are many prayers and conversations that need to take place as I finish school but we are both trusting and excited for what God has in store for us.

Hopefully I can remember this thread, would be great to update you all in a few months or so as things continue develop :)
Last edited by TwoXseveN on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:54 am

My wife and I are currently residing in Karen, Kenya (west of Nairobi). We have been here going on three years now, with the intention of being here one more year until our furlough in 2016-17. It is entirely possible that we will end up back in Kenya for additional time.

My wife has been working with Network of International Christian Schools (NICS) for 7 years. She taught in Turkey for four years and Kenya the rest of the time. She teaches high school biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy, and health (what a load, I know). Most of students she works with are missionary or embassy kids, but there are as well several kids from local slums. In her spare time, she also coaches middle school football (soccer) and basketball.

I, however, work with a local United Methodist church, pastoring, teaching, and discipling its members. From time to time, I also educate several of the local pastors in biblical, theological, and historical studies, helping them grasp basic concepts of Christian theology, the Bible, church history, and general history. Some 90% of the pastors in Kenya have a high school education at best. Most cannot afford to go to college, let alone a school for theological education. And so, part of my responsibility, as well as the other educated pastors in the area, is to help those less fortunate than ourselves learn what we have learned in order to better prepare the pastor for leading and educating a congregation.

And so, most of what we do revolves around education, theological and general. Part of what we do, too, is help local congregations become more self-sufficient by getting them involved in micro-financing and the like.

We around about 75-80% faith-based, meaning we are nearly completely reliant on the generosity of others (churches and individuals). My wife gets a monthly stipend that covers the rent of our home and not much else. What I do is 100% voluntary, free-of-charge. So most of what we receive is used for food, water, and electricity. We only take what we need, and then we repurpose the funds for local scholarships for primary, secondary, and college students. Education is much cheaper here in Kenya (by our standards), but it is still far out of reach of the every day Kenya. I wish I could say that we have never been found wanting, but the truth is there simply have been months where we've struggled for a time or two. With that said, we are always looking for partners and those generally interested in what we do.

There are a couple of ways to support us financially, either by check or online. The easiest is online so I will post that information. If the information for a check is needed, contact me via message. To donate online, click here, change designation to 'Staff Support', then type in our project # (#003284), and fill out the relevant information. There are two choices, that of a single or recurring donation.

If there is any other information you're interested in, you can message me and we can talk.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Wed May 20, 2015 11:58 am

The day approacheth...since last post:

1. The tumor has responded well and stabilized and I can also get the meds I need in the DR.

2. Our support is just over 90% ongoing. We need a bit more by the end of the first year, but we're confident Provision will be made.

3. After only 5 days on the market, we had 24 showings and 7 offers (6 at or above list price). We have accepted the best and made it through the inspection period. So, we're officially under contract to sell our house.

4. We are set to close on June 10 and fly out June 24. Hoowahh! Go God!
-Kip, aka SandPiper

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed May 20, 2015 12:47 pm

SandPiper wrote:The day approacheth...since last post:

1. The tumor has responded well and stabilized and I can also get the meds I need in the DR.

2. Our support is just over 90% ongoing. We need a bit more by the end of the first year, but we're confident Provision will be made.

3. After only 5 days on the market, we had 24 showings and 7 offers (6 at or above list price). We have accepted the best and made it through the inspection period. So, we're officially under contract to sell our house.

Man, things are getting exciting. I'm glad to hear it's coming together!
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:15 pm

JimVH wrote:

After so much waiting, when God decided it was time, it's time! An incredible string of events has taken place over the past few weeks, and we're all set to fly out on the 24th. It's been a long, hard road for the past year but we've learned much (including no small amount of patience). I'm excited to finally get in-country and rolling...
-Kip, aka SandPiper

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:37 pm

SandPiper wrote:
JimVH wrote:

After so much waiting, when God decided it was time, it's time! An incredible string of events has taken place over the past few weeks, and we're all set to fly out on the 24th. It's been a long, hard road for the past year but we've learned much (including no small amount of patience). I'm excited to finally get in-country and rolling...
:bacon: :cheese:
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

SimplePleasures
Congregation
Congregation

Post by SimplePleasures » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:53 pm

This is the kind of news I love to wake up to! I'm praising God with you right now. All over the world, we are still short on workers. This is an answer to a prayer so many of us are constantly lifting up. If I can offer a little advice; Remain in surrender to God, always flexible to God's will. Always be in Prayer and continually soak in His word. There are going to be many times in which you feel like God is no longer directing your path. Go back to the last thing you clearly heard and remain in it. In other words, don't deviate from the path He set for you. He will guide you. You have people lifting you up in their prayers from all across earth ( Thailand here :wink: )

On a side note, Please tell Brian and Carolina hello for us (Duke and Sunni). Brian was the one who lead the way for my wife and I. His stepping out opened our eyes to God's path in our own lives. I am eternally grateful for them even though we are nearly on opposite sides of this crazy ball in the sky. God bless you all as you head out and may God use you and your family in ways that stretch you and reward you with many new eternal friends in the kingdom. All for God's glory Brother!
-Duke

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:02 am

SimplePleasures wrote: If I can offer a little advice; Remain in surrender to God, always flexible to God's will. Always be in Prayer and continually soak in His word. There are going to be many times in which you feel like God is no longer directing your path. Go back to the last thing you clearly heard and remain in it. In other words, don't deviate from the path He set for you. He will guide you. You have people lifting you up in their prayers from all across earth ( Thailand here :wink: )
Thanks for the advice...I'll try to be mindful of my last known good. After the past year, we're learning to better be able to "roll with the punches." As little as two months ago, I found myself having to stave off worry and fretting over the whole process - fundraising, family deaths, this stinkin' tumor in my head....I realized I was slipping back into my "old self" ways of worrying. I had to go back to the last known good that we were clearly called to this, and ask myself if I doubted He would provide the way once the time was right. It was a difficult process, but once we were broken to the point of absolute acceptance of whatever/whenever He had in store, we were blessed with a great deal of Peace. It was a watershed moment for us; we were truly OK with turning this over to Him entirely - probably for the first time since beginning the process. Once we were in tune and began letting go of our pride that wanted to "ramrod" the whole process into our timeframe, things began to happen, and happen quickly. Within a couple weeks' time, our support better fell into place, we listed our home in a market that is lagging behind the rest of the country....and sold it within 5 days at 10% over list price, and had plane tickets and a schedule worked out. After waiting for over a year, having all this happen in short order was something to behold. I think we were having one more chunk of pride chipped away to better prepare us to look to His provision rather than our own device. We're in a good place right now. Better than before.

As another side note, my brother-in-law and family were in Thailand for a four-year run (after stints in S. Korea and the Philippines). They returned stateside a couple years ago.
SimplePleasures wrote:On a side note, Please tell Brian and Carolina hello for us (Duke and Sunni). Brian was the one who lead the way for my wife and I. His stepping out opened our eyes to God's path in our own lives. I am eternally grateful for them even though we are nearly on opposite sides of this crazy ball in the sky. God bless you all as you head out and may God use you and your family in ways that stretch you and reward you with many new eternal friends in the kingdom. All for God's glory Brother!
-Duke
Will do. He'll be picking us up at the airport Wednesday night 8)
-Kip, aka SandPiper