CPS Ministries and Missions work

Are you new to forums? Come on in.
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

CPS Ministries and Missions work

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:26 am

Good morning.

What do you think about a info thread and or forum area where members can see the active CPS member sponsored missions and ministries?

We have JMG and Josh in missions, other's too I'm sure.

Anyway, was thinking if we had a room for this it would be easier to donate to the efforts by members here if they wish. Something like

JMG - missions in PNG. To know more click this link <whatever web site>. To donate <insert ways to give, addresses to send checks, stuff like that>

I know that would take effort to keep it up to date. Just an idea for your consideration.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Re: CPS Ministries and Missions work

Post by jruegg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:47 am

PM me for my address to send me, I mean "my ministry," financial support.

Operators are standing by.

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:42 pm

Sounds like a great idea. If anything to just see how people are involved in Christ's body.

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:07 pm

As one currently raising support to enter the full time mission field, I have to say this is a fantastic idea :)
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

mrzed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by mrzed » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:25 pm

I work as a missionary with a major interdenominational ministry. Some of our staff work in PNG along side the other fellow who mentioned PNG here, but I work in the US providing e-mail and computer support for out international staff. We raise our own support to cover the salary and benefits.

PM me for more information.

Dan
Being bald is about attitude. http://www.slybaldguys.com

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:23 pm

Cigarson needs sponsors to finance his work as a FOCUS missionary.

I have been surprised at how vibrant the campus ministry becomes when a handful of FOCUS missionaries are there. The program is rather simple and tried-and-true: small group Bible studies. They organize men's groups and women's groups, which provides an alternative to the usual college hook-up culture.

The missionaries also provide mentorship and spiritual direction to those who want it, and quite a few young seekers take advantage of this.

Cigarson will be lead-male missionary on the IUPUI campus in Indianapolis this year. FOCUS missionaries are mainly found on secular campuses.... not just the Catholic colleges. (Although more Catholic colleges could use them!)

http://www.focus.org
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:31 pm

I guess I could have been a bit more specific in my earlier post. We are currently raising support, with intention on moving to the Dominican Republic before year-end. We are currently at about 55% of our first year's support pledged. The organization we are partnering with is Project Mañana, which provides a childrens' feeding program, education, financial responsibility training, clean water filters and spiritual guidance to the very impoverished area of San Pablo Villa González, DR. They also have a prison ministry, which I believe is still the only state-approved program allowed to work in their system. You can find out more about my family specifically at: www.fishers4him.com or Project Mañana at: www.projectmanana.org.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Post by SmokinGordon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm not sure if this was a request for our ministry information or a suggestion that we have such a thread. However here goes:
We are missionaries with ReachGlobal ( EFCA) have been for about 30 years. Work as a professor and administrator in an online masters program in Biblical studies and Leadership for Christian leaders, all in Spanish. We raise all our support for salary, benefits and expenses.
Personal,and support information @ http://www.gnpike.com. Ministry information at http://www.latn.org, or in Spanish http://www.pro-meta.org.
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:43 pm

I work with a fledgling missions agency that gives basic bible school training to pastors. We work primarily in Central and South America, though that may change in the near future. In contrast to many other agencies that train pastors, we focus on less educated pastoral candidates, particularly those who are unable to read and write. We believe that this focus is important, since "approximately two-thirds of the world's population lives by orality. Many of them have no other choice because they have inadequate literacy skills, but others who are quite literate strongly prefer to learn by oral means. Together they comprise an oral majority who cannot or will not learn well through print-based instruction" - International Orality Network/Lausanne Committee for World Evangelization. Our training attempts to bridge the cognitive and communicative gap between literate, Western teachers and their oral hearers. My primary responsibilities include curriculum development and training of missionaries. I will begin raising financial support soon.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:57 am

I work at a Salem Ranch - a faith based therapeutic boarding school for at-risk teen boys. You could very broadly divide our ministry into three categories: ranch/vocational, educational, residential/mentoring/counseling. I oversee the 3rd. I'm not raising support for myself(although the ministry itself could certainly use all the support we can get, we have a large part of our budget supplied by donations), but I would greatly appreciate prayers and such. It feels like a battle ground all too often out here.

http://www.salem4youth.com
Sola Deo Gloria

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:02 am

Sorry for the couple months of radio silence (again). In late September, amidst all the preparations for moving to the Dominican Republic, I went to the doctor because of some headaches and vision loss I'd experienced. He sent me on for an MRI - lo and behold, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Fortunately, it is NOT the same type as took my Dad's life only weeks before. It's a pituitary tumor, and is quite unlikely to be malignant in any fashion (and unrelated to smoking per current American Cancer Society research, for those interested). The main impact is that it will delay our scheduled move by a few months. That's a downer, but to be honest I probably needed it. I know now more intimately than ever before that I have control of nothing. Being broken in one more, big way is a good thing long term when looking at the potential of relying on Him for finding support, etc. I began some meds last week that are supposed to shrink the tumor - mine happens to be the singular type that is often treatable with meds alone. There's still a high likelihood that I will need some surgery due to its size, but hopefully the meds will work and we'll be in-country ASAP.

We are moving forward with the plan knowing that it's what we are called to do, actively selling our possessions and raising funds. God's still good, even when the world around us sucks.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:10 am

Praying, Kip.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 am

John-Boy wrote:Praying, Kip.
Thank you for updating us, Kip.
gaining_age wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 am
Poor Brent.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:58 am

JimVH wrote:
John-Boy wrote:Praying, Kip.
Thank you for updating us, Kip.
Agreed on both counts.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

SimplePleasures
Congregation
Congregation

Post by SimplePleasures » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:19 am

SandPiper wrote: The organization we are partnering with is Project Mañana.....
Boy it's a small world. Brian, the founder is a friend of ours. He's a part of what opened our hearts toward heading into the field. He's an amazing guy.....
Just caught your update as I read further. God's plan is in place. Anchor yourself in that and know He's got you. We're sending prayers up now.

My wife and I are missionaries to southern Thailand. We're currently helping to lead a church in a small impoverished fishing village and getting ready to plant a new church a few minutes south where we have about 50 new young believers ready be discipled. It's a very exciting time. Our website is http://www.theredlines.net
Should you ever find your way to southern Thailand, send me a message so we can hook up and share a bowl.
God bless,
Duke
Last edited by SimplePleasures on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:22 am

SimplePleasures wrote:
SandPiper wrote: The organization we are partnering with is Project Mañana.....
Boy it's a small world. Brian, the founder is a friend of ours. He's a part of what opened our hearts toward heading into the field. He's an amazing guy.
Totally agree. I've known him for several years, and love the guy to death. Dear friend, family man and dedicated believer. That's a fantastic résumé....

Just a hillbilly, Tappin and a-Talkin
-Kip, aka SandPiper

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Gabriel wrote:I work at a Salem Ranch - a faith based therapeutic boarding school for at-risk teen boys. You could very broadly divide our ministry into three categories: ranch/vocational, educational, residential/mentoring/counseling. I oversee the 3rd. I'm not raising support for myself(although the ministry itself could certainly use all the support we can get, we have a large part of our budget supplied by donations), but I would greatly appreciate prayers and such. It feels like a battle ground all too often out here.
http://www.salem4youth.com
https://www.facebook.com/Salem4Youth

Edited to add a link to our FB page. If you're at all interested in what we do here, following the FB page is a great way to see what is going on at the Ranch.
Sola Deo Gloria

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:04 pm

I'm just coming across this thread...sorry for my delay.

My family and I (wife and three daughters) work with an organization (I can't put their name here as they have contacted me in the past asking that I keep their name off of tobacco related websites...thankfully they were very nice about this though) who work with the world's most unreached people groups. Typically this means working with people who do not have a written form of their language and thus being strictly oral. In a nutshell, missionaries move to a host country and first work to learn the national language. Once that is completed they then move into a tribal location where we build a house in the village and begin living life with our people we are there to minister to. We begin to learn to speak their language, and once we reach a fairly in depth level of fluency we create an alphabet for them and use that to teach the people to read and write in there on language. Throughout all of that we work on Bible translation. As various portions are completed (many rigorous checks in order to get to that point) we teach through the Bible chronologically form Creation to the resurrection of Jesus. God willing, we will have some folks put their faith in Christ and we begin to work discipling those believers as we complete other portions of the Word. The ultimate goal of our organization is to see a mature, self-functioning church established. One with strong church leaders and that can stand on its own two feet.

Specifically, my family works with the Hewa tribe who are extremely isolated deep in the heart of the Central Mountain Range in Papua New Guinea. We served in PNG for three years (the last 1 1/2 years being in the tribe with the Hewa people.) We have been on furlough since mid-May and will head back to Hewa for another three years in March.

My family and I are 100% faith-based meaning that we are not paid a salary by anyone. Instead, we are dependent on churches and individuals to support our work. Praise God that we have never wanted for a need, but we are certainly not at what our organization sets as a full support level. I can't post a link to our missions website that has ways to give towards our work, but I have a separate webpage that points you there. So, if you are interested you can check out www.pushforpng.com. My e-mail is also on that link so if you have any questions at all about what we do, how we do it, or pretty much anything else feel free to write us.

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:27 pm

Since I got an email that this thread has updated, I figured I'd drop in a quick update. After my tumor diagnosis (earlier in this thread), I began some treatment w/medication at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. It has responded very well in that it has shrunk about 16% as of the last MRI. I have also learned that the main medication I need for this is available in the Dominican Republic (thank God, because I will likely need it for the rest of my days here on planet Earth). Frankly, after the diagnosis we were in a holding pattern with the whole move, not knowing what would come of it. I notified all of our supporters at the time in case they wanted to drop/hold off until things were clear. None did, but I felt better about it keeping them in the loop and explaining why the move was delayed. I go back to the endocrinologist the first week of April, and barring any catastrophic development we're planning on moving down late April/early May assuming we get our support lined up (we're sitting just over 80% right now for the first year). It's a big jump from saying - or even believing - that God has control of everything to actually experiencing it. That's been the biggest lesson for me from all this. He's broken another big chunk of my pride away, and making it fully known that I will rely on Him for everything - medication, MRIs, food, support....everything. I have to admit I have, for much of my life, clung to some illusion of control. I'm still learning to let that go, but He's taught me a lot since October 1st.

We went down last week for a visit with Brian Berman and our friends who have already made the move (the Hartsfields). It was an awesome time and completely reaffirming that the Dominican Republic is the place we are supposed to serve. Honestly, it's just the kick in the pants I needed. I've let discouragement creep into my thinking pretty heavily these past few months, and to get a good dose of heavenly attitude adjustment was overdue. I still don't know how this is all going to work, but I'm trusting Him more than at any time in the past...
-Kip, aka SandPiper

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:59 pm

SandPiper wrote:Since I got an email that this thread has updated, I figured I'd drop in a quick update. After my tumor diagnosis (earlier in this thread), I began some treatment w/medication at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. It has responded very well in that it has shrunk about 16% as of the last MRI. I have also learned that the main medication I need for this is available in the Dominican Republic (thank God, because I will likely need it for the rest of my days here on planet Earth). Frankly, after the diagnosis we were in a holding pattern with the whole move, not knowing what would come of it. I notified all of our supporters at the time in case they wanted to drop/hold off until things were clear. None did, but I felt better about it keeping them in the loop and explaining why the move was delayed. I go back to the endocrinologist the first week of April, and barring any catastrophic development we're planning on moving down late April/early May assuming we get our support lined up (we're sitting just over 80% right now for the first year). It's a big jump from saying - or even believing - that God has control of everything to actually experiencing it. That's been the biggest lesson for me from all this. He's broken another big chunk of my pride away, and making it fully known that I will rely on Him for everything - medication, MRIs, food, support....everything. I have to admit I have, for much of my life, clung to some illusion of control. I'm still learning to let that go, but He's taught me a lot since October 1st.

We went down last week for a visit with Brian Berman and our friends who have already made the move (the Hartsfields). It was an awesome time and completely reaffirming that the Dominican Republic is the place we are supposed to serve. Honestly, it's just the kick in the pants I needed. I've let discouragement creep into my thinking pretty heavily these past few months, and to get a good dose of heavenly attitude adjustment was overdue. I still don't know how this is all going to work, but I'm trusting Him more than at any time in the past...
I'm going to be in the DR giving a couple of workshops for pastors, February 20 &'21.
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"