Linux switchers

Are you new to forums? Come on in.
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Linux switchers

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:52 pm

coco wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Strange. I ran updates, including a Chrome update, and now Chrome has disappeared. Gone. Poof!
I found a lot of references to it disappearing after a Windows update, but not in Linux.
I went to software manager and it said it was installed but I couldn't find it anywhere. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it was working fine.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Pfft. Linux switchers.

Come back and talk to me when you're running a farm of linked Hypervisors with multiple Guest OS instances of *NIX, Solaris, Windows, AIX, and HP/UX. Then we'll talk...
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Pepik wrote:Pfft. Linux switchers.

Come back and talk to me when you're running a farm of linked Hypervisors with multiple Guest OS instances of *NIX, Solaris, Windows, AIX, and HP/UX. Then we'll talk...
Working as intended...

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:13 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Pepik wrote:Pfft. Linux switchers.

Working as intended...
Exceeding as Intended.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:52 pm

coco wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Strange. I ran updates, including a Chrome update, and now Chrome has disappeared. Gone. Poof!
Try rm -rf /

(Just kidding! UB already knows this, but rm -rf / is the deadliest command in Linux.)
Silly man. Ubuntu needs 'sudo rm -rf /'
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:59 am

I gave it consideration, then was told by folks in my industry that it wouldn't work for work. The most important software we use wasn't designed for Linux.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:19 am

sysiphus wrote:
coco wrote:
Try rm -rf /

(Just kidding! UB already knows this, but rm -rf / is the deadliest command in Linux.)
Indeed.

Good to hear from you. :D
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:22 am

Thunktank wrote:I gave it consideration, then was told by folks in my industry that it wouldn't work for work. The most important software we use wasn't designed for Linux.
It is possible to run such software in a virtual machine (think of being able to launch windows like you would a program), but most people would think of this as being more trouble than it's worth.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:41 am

coco wrote:
sysiphus wrote:
coco wrote:
Try rm -rf /

Indeed.

Good to hear from you. :D
Good to be heard. 18 months to retirement, and I'll be able to get off the damned road. I have already filled a passport, and starting another!
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

Bdaily
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Bdaily » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:40 am

John-Boy wrote:I keep reading this thread title as "Linus Sweaters" and thinking it sounds interested... and I keep being disappointed.
Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Bread is made for laughter,
and wine gladdens life,
and money answers everything."

Ecclesiastes 10.19

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Bdaily wrote:
John-Boy wrote:I keep reading this thread title as "Linus Sweaters" and thinking it sounds interested... and I keep being disappointed.
Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Linus doesn't wear sweaters. He's going to turn his blanket into a sport coat.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:06 pm

coco wrote:
Thunktank wrote:I gave it consideration, then was told by folks in my industry that it wouldn't work for work. The most important software we use wasn't designed for Linux.
It is possible to run such software in a virtual machine (think of being able to launch windows like you would a program), but most people would think of this as being more trouble than it's worth.
You think? :lol:

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Thunktank wrote:
coco wrote:
You think? :lol:
Not sure your computer situation, but I like to have an unbuntu machine around for personal use. Seems more secure than Windows for bills and stuff. And also Windows 10 didn't do well on my laptop that came with Windows 7.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:33 pm

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:38 pm

I posted way back when here about the lack of native Google Drive support preventing me from using Linux fully. On a lark, I did a Google search, and it seems that sometime recently, the GNOME project has given me a fix.

https://www.howtogeek.com/196635/an-off ... -ever-get/

So far, the instructions above are working as intended on Ubuntu 17.04. It is rather slow, however, and it treats files shared with me as files that I have shared, which clutters up the Google Drive folder on my computer, as I had a few projects during last school year that I had the students turn in via Drive. Also, this is rather slow, at least on my machine. But it syncs as the Windows drive client would (again, more slowly though).

Now if only I could activate an install of Office 2007, I would be golden, and I would never have to drag home my work computer.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Has anyone asked Goose?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:08 pm

coco wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:39 pm
Try rm -rf /

Just in case:

Mario Wolczco wrote:
Unix Recovery Legend
(This classic article from Mario Wolczko first appeared on Usenet in 1986.)

Have you ever left your terminal logged in, only to find when you came back to it that a (supposed) friend had typed "rm -rf ~/*" and was hovering over the keyboard with threats along the lines of "lend me a fiver 'til Thursday, or I hit return"? Undoubtedly the person in question would not have had the nerve to inflict such a trauma upon you, and was doing it in jest. So you've probably never experienced the worst of such disasters....

It was a quiet Wednesday afternoon. Wednesday, 1st October, 15:15 BST, to be precise, when Peter, an office-mate of mine, leaned away from his terminal and said to me, "Mario, I'm having a little trouble sending mail." Knowing that msg was capable of confusing even the most capable of people, I sauntered over to his terminal to see what was wrong. A strange error message of the form (I forget the exact details) "cannot access /foo/bar for userid 147" had been issued by msg. My first thought was "Who's userid 147?; the sender of the message, the destination, or what?" So I leant over to another terminal, already logged in, and typed
grep 147 /etc/passwd

only to receive the response
/etc/passwd: No such file or directory.

Instantly, I guessed that something was amiss. This was confirmed when in response to
ls /etc

I got
ls: not found.

I suggested to Peter that it would be a good idea not to try anything for a while, and went off to find our system manager.

When I arrived at his office, his door was ajar, and within ten seconds I realised what the problem was. James, our manager, was sat down, head in hands, hands between knees, as one whose world has just come to an end. Our newly-appointed system programmer, Neil, was beside him, gazing listlessly at the screen of his terminal. And at the top of the screen I spied the following lines:
# cd
# rm -rf *

Oh, s***, I thought. That would just about explain it.
I can't remember what happened in the succeeding minutes; my memory is just a blur. I do remember trying ls (again), ps, who and maybe a few other commands beside, all to no avail. The next thing I remember was being at my terminal again (a multi-window graphics terminal), and typing
cd /
echo *

I owe a debt of thanks to David Korn for making echo a built-in of his shell; needless to say, /bin, together with /bin/echo, had been deleted. What transpired in the next few minutes was that/dev, /etc and /lib had also gone in their entirety; fortunately Neil had interrupted rm while it was somewhere down below /news, and /tmp, /usr and /users were all untouched.

Meanwhile James had made for our tape cupboard and had retrieved what claimed to be a dump tape of the root filesystem, taken four weeks earlier. The pressing question was, "How do we recover the contents of the tape?". Not only had we lost /etc/restore, but all of the device entries for the tape deck had vanished. And where does mknod live? You guessed it, /etc. How about recovery across Ethernet of any of this from another VAX? Well, /bin/tar had gone, and thoughtfully the Berkeley people had put rcp in /bin in the 4.3 distribution. What's more, none of the Ether stuff wanted to know without /etc/hosts at least. We found a version of cpio in /usr/local, but that was unlikely to do us any good without a tape deck.

Alternatively, we could get the boot tape out and rebuild the root filesystem, but neither James nor Neil had done that before, and we weren't sure that the first thing to happen would be that the whole disk would be re-formatted, losing all our user files. (We take dumps of the user files every Thursday; by Murphy's Law this had to happen on a Wednesday). Another solution might be to borrow a disk from another VAX, boot off that, and tidy up later, but that would have entailed calling the DEC engineer out, at the very least. We had a number of users in the final throes of writing up PhD theses and the loss of a maybe a weeks' work (not to mention the machine down time) was unthinkable.

So, what to do? The next idea was to write a program to make a device descriptor for the tape deck, but we all know where cc, as and ld live. Or maybe make skeletal entries for /etc/passwd,/etc/hosts and so on, so that /usr/bin/ftp would work. By sheer luck, I had a gnuemacs still running in one of my windows, which we could use to create passwd, etc., but the first step was to create a directory to put them in. Of course /bin/mkdir had gone, and so had /bin/mv, so we couldn't rename /tmp to /etc. However, this looked like a reasonable line of attack.

By now we had been joined by Alasdair, our resident UNIX guru, and as luck would have it, someone who knows VAX assembler. So our plan became this: write a program in assembler which would either rename /tmp to /etc, or make /etc, assemble it on another VAX, uuencode it, type in the uuencoded file using my gnu, uudecode it (some bright spark had thought to put uudecodein /usr/bin), run it, and hey presto, it would all be plain sailing from there. By yet another miracle of good fortune, the terminal from which the damage had been done was still su'd to root (su is in/bin, remember?), so at least we stood a chance of all this working.

Off we set on our merry way, and within only an hour we had managed to concoct the dozen or so lines of assembler to create /etc. The stripped binary was only 76 bytes long, so we converted it to hex (slightly more readable than the output of uuencode), and typed it in using my editor. If any of you ever have the same problem, here's the hex for future reference:

070100002c000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
0000dd8fff010000dd8f27000000fb02ef07000000fb01ef070000000000bc8f
8800040000bc012f65746300

I had a handy program around (doesn't everybody?) for converting ASCII hex to binary, and the output of /usr/bin/sum tallied with our original binary. But hang on---how do you set execute permission without /bin/chmod? A few seconds thought (which as usual, lasted a couple of minutes) suggested that we write the binary on top of an already existing binary, owned by me...problem solved. So along we trotted to the terminal with the root login, carefully remembered to set the umask to 0 (so that I could create files in it using my gnu), and ran the binary. So now we had a /etc, writable by all. From there it was but a few easy steps to creating passwd, hosts, services, protocols, (etc), and then ftp was willing to play ball. Then we recovered the contents of /bin across the ether (it's amazing how much you come to miss ls after just a few, short hours), and selected files from /etc. The key file was /etc/rrestore, with which we recovered /dev from the dump tape, and the rest is history.

Now, you're asking yourself (as I am), what's the moral of this story? Well, for one thing, you must always remember the immortal words, DON'T PANIC. Our initial reaction was to reboot the machine and try everything as single user, but it's unlikely it would have come up without /etc/init and /bin/sh. Rational thought saved us from this one.

The next thing to remember is that UNIX tools really can be put to unusual purposes. Even without my gnuemacs, we could have survived by using, say, /usr/bin/grep as a substitute for/bin/cat.

And the final thing is, it's amazing how much of the system you can delete without it falling apart completely. Apart from the fact that nobody could login (/bin/login?), and most of the useful commands had gone, everything else seemed normal. Of course, some things can't stand life without say /etc/termcap, or /dev/kmem, or /etc/utmp, but by and large it all hangs together.

I shall leave you with this question: if you were placed in the same situation, and had the presence of mind that always comes with hindsight, could you have got out of it in a simpler or easier way? Answers on a postage stamp to:

Mario Wolczko
Piece of cake. :pipe2:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli

Post by elimtaft » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:47 am

Anybody else going to SouthEast LinuxFest? I'll be there Friday and Saturday.

http://www.southeastlinuxfest.org/
A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures

Dort wo Du einen Pfeifenraucher siehst, findest Du einen guten Freund.

Broccoli over mushrooms.