Are you new to forums? Come on in.
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Re: Linux switchers

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:01 pm

UncleBob wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:I think I got it.
Yay! Of course I just figured it wouldn't be a quick fix and whammo!

:chili:
I was wrong.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:16 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

I was wrong.
updated the bios, and it's working again.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:29 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

I was wrong.
Yay!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:34 pm

UncleBob wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

I was wrong.
Yay!
Yay!
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:39 pm

I have to go to a meeting. Then I can try get it setup for doing Hangouts on Google+

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:30 pm

Venator260 recently switched from Linux to Windows, due in part to a lack of a native Google drive client. Ironically, it seems as though Google might actually release one soon.

(For users not dedicated to Google Docs there are other sync options, such as Owncloud, Bittorent Sync, Syncthing, etc.)
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:19 pm

coco wrote:Venator260 recently switched from Linux to Windows, due in part to a lack of a native Google drive client. Ironically, it seems as though Google might actually release one soon.

(For users not dedicated to Google Docs there are other sync options, such as Owncloud, Bittorent Sync, Syncthing, etc.)

It pains me that I'm the poster for switching from Linux to Windows. I've installed and used every Ubuntu release since 7.04. And I wouldn't call what I did switching from Linux. I'll use Vista for work and Ubuntu for everything else. As a matter of fact, these last two weeks are perhaps the only two weeks I've not had a working Ubuntu installation since mid 2007.

What I found to be interesting in the last couple of months is that Windows is much harder to install than Linux. This has completely been due to wireless drivers. Both my desktop and work laptops did not have wireless support from Windows as installed. Vista on my desktop was able to find a driver for my wireless card. As for the Windows 7 laptop that I restored, it took me a day and a half to find a driver for the wireless card. I have not ran into this issue with Ubuntu since 2010. Updates post install also take an eternity, as does insuring that one has the correct security software. Finally, these installs made me miss Ubuntu's repos immensely.

A native Google Drive client would make me go back to Ubuntu full time, at least on my desktop. That was the issue for me, and it was a big one, as I use Google drive to sync the work I do at home to my work computer. I'm a teacher, and I find that it's easier to generate materials at home as opposed to at work. My school isn't in the greatest of areas either, so I don't want to be leaving after dark by myself.

With that said... to the questions:

1. Are you happy with Linux? Are you thinking about going back to Windows/Mac?

Absolutely, Ubuntu powered my undergraduate career. Until recently, I've used it for most of my computing needs.

2. What distribution did you choose?

Ubuntu

3. How would you describe your computer ability?

Above average. I find that I learn quickly. I'm no programmer though, and I only really learn what I need to know to make my computer do what I want it do, or what someone else needs it to do. I don't work in a highly technical field, so I'm not a computer wizard. I'm certainly not good enough to get paid for my computer work.

4. What struck you as the strangest thing about Linux compared with Windows/Mac?

The quality of the programs that can be had for free

5. What was the biggest hurdle as you were setting up Linux and getting used to it?

Getting my slave hard drive to mount at startup with the correct permissions. I learned quite a bit about the /etc/fstab before i got things working correctly. This is perhaps the only reason that I still need the terminal in Ubuntu, as there is no satisfactory way to get a drive to mount at startup through any method that totally relies on a GUI. I suppose that I could run Gedit as an adminstrator, and then find the fstab file, but I find opening a terminal and typing 'gksudo gedit /etc/fstab' (I'm not sure that the path is exactly correct) much easier.

6. Who should not use Linux and should just stick with Windows/Mac? (Grandmas without tech support? John-Boy?)

Someone who can't install an operating system and doesn't have someone to do it for them. That said, if Windows wasn't preinstalled on 99% of computers sold, even this wouldn't be an issue as my experience installing Windows has been more difficult than installing Ubuntu. I have my parents running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and they've used Linux since 2009. This is much easier than supporting a Windows install for them as their internet habits would break a Windows install within 3 months.
Last edited by venator260 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:48 pm

webcam is hit and miss now.

UPDATE:
Nevermind. It was juts hit or miss until I did a series of updates. It work, then quit, then I would run an update and it would be OK for a few minutes. This happened 3-4 times. Now it seems to be good to go.

Thanks for the help folks.
Last edited by mont974x4 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:32 am

I typed this to post in another place. It seems fitting here. The short version is that I miss my Ubuntu. Perhaps I'll have to use one of those other options that coco mentioned for syncing work files. Except dropbox. I already have a personal dropbox account, and I'm not sure if the two will play nice. I can install whatever I want to on my work PC. Since our science teacher left, I am now the IT department in addition to Social Studies Teacher.

So....

I hate chasing drivers for Windows.

My wireless card was misbehaving and causing audio to skip on my newish Vista install. For this card, Linksys has no drivers available for Vista (or Windows 7). So I perused the internet for an hour to fix it. I finally had to install a driver for an Atheros AR5008 to make my Linksys WMP110v1 work.

Of course, before this, I spent a decent amount of time trying to find a driver for my audio card. The internet suggested that may be the issue (wrong audio card driver). Dell gave 4 options for what the driver could be, even though I had model and service tag. I did have a substandard generic driver installed. And now the front headphone port works on the tower, which was not the case before.

Before this, I grabbed a display driver, because stuff looked just terrible. It's better now.

According to the tool that I have to measure DPC Latency on this machine, the audio problem still isn't fixed. But it's better. The skips, pops, and dropouts are not noticeable to me on the audio stream.

None of this was an issue on any Ubuntu distro after 2009. I did have to use a work-around on my wireless card for Ubuntu 9.04. 8.10 worked fine. Never have I ever needed to mess with an audio driver. Even a laptop with Nvidia graphics in 2007 was easier to set up. I mention this because Nvidia graphics were supposedly terribly supported in Linux by Nvidia. Short of that, I have never had to fiddle with display issues that weren't caused by my installing Ubuntu in one computer (desktop) and then switching the drive to a laptop. But good luck ever getting a Windows install even boot under those conditions.

I'm going to have to shrink my Vista partition and install Ubuntu again. I forgot how well I had it in the Linux world. I just hope that Vista plays nice. I would hate to have all of this work go for nothing. And barring another free/really cheap computer, I'm building the next one. No more of this mystery contents stuff.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:46 pm

Has anyone else noticed the slew of Chrome updates lately? I hardly use Chrome but I am beginning to wonder if it is worth keeping. Any thoughts?

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:02 pm

If you're a regular user of the Google Eco-system (Google apps, gmail, whatnot) it's worth keeping.

Also keep in mind that Firefox and Chrome are rated higher on the "well patched, better secured" scale than other browsers out there (IE, Safari and other included in the less-than-secure/less-than-well-patched category).

Frequent patches isn't a sign of badness, it's a sign of a well cared-for and well-loved software project. It's a good thing. Also keep in mind, not all of the patching Firefox does is obvious to the user. There's quite a few patches I've seen this week because of the OpenSSL FREAK vulnerability and other vulnerabilities that have popped up in recent history (e.g. since last week) that have been driving all these patches and if I didn't happen to have some analytics on my machines I wouldn't have noticed it happening.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Pepik wrote:If you're a regular user of the Google Eco-system (Google apps, gmail, whatnot) it's worth keeping.

Also keep in mind that Firefox and Chrome are rated higher on the "well patched, better secured" scale than other browsers out there (IE, Safari and other included in the less-than-secure/less-than-well-patched category).

Frequent patches isn't a sign of badness, it's a sign of a well cared-for and well-loved software project. It's a good thing. Also keep in mind, not all of the patching Firefox does is obvious to the user. There's quite a few patches I've seen this week because of the OpenSSL FREAK vulnerability and other vulnerabilities that have popped up in recent history (e.g. since last week) that have been driving all these patches and if I didn't happen to have some analytics on my machines I wouldn't have noticed it happening.
Got it.

I am not a fan of Chrome in general because of their perceived invasiveness. Every time I turn around they want to make Google the default browser. I use gmail but I never access it on my laptop, for some reason.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:23 am

UncleBob wrote:
Pepik wrote:If you're a regular user of the Google Eco-system (Google apps, gmail, whatnot) it's worth keeping.

Got it.

I am not a fan of Chrome in general because of their perceived invasiveness. Every time I turn around they want to make Google the default browser. I use gmail but I never access it on my laptop, for some reason.
Google is not a search engine company, nor an email company, nor anything of the like. Google is an advertising company. They have become wealthy selling data concerning their users to "advertisers," who use this data for "target marketing." If you want a reason to disapprove of Google, skip over the default browser prompt, and think about the fact that they are selling bits and pieces of your personal information according to a complex and largely meaningless "privacy" policy.

I think you are okay using Chrome, but Google services come with a certain loss of privacy. You have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:00 am

coco wrote: I think you are okay using Chrome, but Google services come with a certain loss of privacy. You have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.
Long ago, in a galaxy far away, I used to work for NSA/CSS. I gave up any illusions I may have held about electronic privacy before browsers were ever invented. I use Chrome/Google because I like the integration of services and have ad-blocking software to eliminate most of the annoyances. The one program I won't use is Kaspersky's anti-virus!
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Anyone using a TomTom w/Linux. I had to install the software on my brides Windows 8 machine to update my maps. I read on the ubuntu forums that there was some issues using it in WINE.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:04 am

Have any of you any experience with this distro?

http://www.distroastro.org/

I really want to try this.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:57 pm

UncleBob wrote:Have any of you any experience with this distro?

http://www.distroastro.org/

I really want to try this.
Not me. Let us know how it goes.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:23 pm

Strange. I ran updates, including a Chrome update, and now Chrome has disappeared. Gone. Poof!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:39 pm

UncleBob wrote:Strange. I ran updates, including a Chrome update, and now Chrome has disappeared. Gone. Poof!
Try rm -rf /

(Just kidding! UB already knows this, but rm -rf / is the deadliest command in Linux.)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:44 pm

UncleBob wrote:Strange. I ran updates, including a Chrome update, and now Chrome has disappeared. Gone. Poof!
I found a lot of references to it disappearing after a Windows update, but not in Linux.