Editing posts

Are you new to forums? Come on in.
Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Editing posts

Post by Steverino » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:44 pm

I've posted in the Prayer Request forum. I want to go back now and edit the title of the thread by adding the word "update", and the current date. It appears that I no longer have the capability to edit the original post, which of course is essentially what I would be doing if I modified the title as mentioned. It seems like to me I can remember that I used to be able to do this. Am I remembering correctly or has it always been so that you can't edit the original post? Just would like to get my thinking straightened out.

Thank you.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Editing posts

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:51 pm

Steverino wrote:I've posted in the Prayer Request forum. I want to go back now and edit the title of the thread by adding the word "update", and the current date. It appears that I no longer have the capability to edit the original post, which of course is essentially what I would be doing if I modified the title as mentioned. It seems like to me I can remember that I used to be able to do this. Am I remembering correctly or has it always been so that you can't edit the original post? Just would like to get my thinking straightened out.

Thank you.
Can no longer do this. I asked Pepik the exact same question ~2 weeks ago.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:44 am

Check out the Announcements forum for a post called "Forum Changes" for more on this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:49 am

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:26 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Steverino wrote:I've posted in the Prayer Request forum. I want to go back now and edit the title of the thread by adding the word "update", and the current date. It appears that I no longer have the capability to edit the original post, which of course is essentially what I would be doing if I modified the title as mentioned. It seems like to me I can remember that I used to be able to do this. Am I remembering correctly or has it always been so that you can't edit the original post? Just would like to get my thinking straightened out.

Thank you.
Can no longer do this. I asked Pepik the exact same question ~2 weeks ago.
Actually you can still do it, Steve. Ask Pepik to put in "update" on the subject line for you.And then you can post as usual with the update. I think Pepik said he would do this for good causes and yours qualifies.

They're just afraid that we're going to delete ourselves ie deleting past posts. Evidence suggests that there is reason for concern.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Thanks for the info Rusty. And Joe.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:54 pm

Okay, I went and read the recommended material. Scary stuff, but necessary, I suppose. I do find it somewhat unnerving that I can no longer go back and edit a post. Not that I do this on a wholesale basis but occasionally I have remembered something I meant to say and then went back and edited the appropriate post. I'm sure I'm not as up on this as others are but I don't see what is wrong with being able to edit or even delete a post. I would certainly think the "benefit of the community at large" would be extremely minimal for individual posts unless perhaps the post actually involves the community at large (pipe of the year, secret Santa, etc.). Just my two cents. Carry on.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Common practice on other boards is: create a new post, continuing the discussion.

CPS was an exception that allowed editing posts, let alone editing posts for all time.

Truly - not that big a deal, but it's preserving content, particularly in the face of useful content that has now been lost.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates