Vulcanite Stem Restoration Kit

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Monarchist
In Memoriam

Vulcanite Stem Restoration Kit

Post by Monarchist » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:29 pm

All I can say is: WOW! This stuff really works!

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/st ... e_kit.html

I've done one fairly oxidized stem so far, and it looks great!
"Never say that God is just. If He were just you would be in hell. Rely only on His injustice which is mercy, love, and forgiveness." - St. Isaac the Syrian

Monarchist
In Memoriam

Post by Monarchist » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:39 am

Yeah y'all, it really does work.
"Never say that God is just. If He were just you would be in hell. Rely only on His injustice which is mercy, love, and forgiveness." - St. Isaac the Syrian

kaydens
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by kaydens » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:10 pm

totally agree, have been using it to restore some of my old pipes and it's amazing. Takes a little elbow grease, but as far as polishing up stems without any kind of machinery, it works wonders.
www.iBriar.com
Intuitive Browsing
Sensible Selection

"On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God."

~J. S. Bach

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:28 pm

darn skippy
Wesley

"I'll take on all you sissies w/ one hand tied behind my back!" -Dennisthemenace

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri May 01, 2009 6:53 pm

I need to get me some...
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: Vulcanite Stem Restoration Kit

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:06 pm

What I do takes some work but its worthwhile. I soak the stems in a high solvent, lacquer thinner for a couple hours and then scrub well with a small piece of thick terry cloth soaked in lacquer thinner. This will get rid of all the ugly brown and I can tell when the stems are jet black. They are dull at this point but they are black. I then polish with micro sanding pads. Lastly, I polish further with automotive swirl mark remover. As a final enhancement and preventative treatment, I apply Obsidian Oil and let it soak in for an hour or so before wiping dry.

I can also remove light to moderate teeth marks starting with 320 grit wet/ dry sandpaper, and then progress sequentially up to 8000. That's tedious work and I sometimes think it's better to just get new stems. :?:

ImageImage
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:06 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:06 pm
What I do takes some work but its worthwhile. I soak the stems in a high solvent, lacquer thinner for a couple hours and then scrub well with a small piece of thick terry cloth soaked in lacquer thinner. This will get rid of all the ugly brown and I can tell when the stems are jet black. They are dull at this point but they are black. I then polish with micro sanding pads. Lastly, I polish further with automotive swirl mark remover. As a final enhancement and preventative treatment, I apply Obsidian Oil and let it soak in for an hour or so before wiping dry.

I can also remove light to moderate teeth marks starting with 320 grit wet/ dry sandpaper, and then progress sequentially up to 8000. That's tedious work and I sometimes think it's better to just get new stems. :?:

ImageImage
Worked on another stem today with equally good results
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Barepipe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Barepipe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 am

Here is a good article from reborn pipes that describe all the different methods he tried.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/rebornpipes ... ems-2/amp/

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am

Monarchist.

I do miss his presence here on CPS.
Sola Deo Gloria