Page 31 of 40

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm
by Cleon
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.
It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Did you notice that the bowl is hexagonal? I love faceted pipes.

It looks like a Dunhill Shell special to me, but the price is too low for that to be the case.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:55 pm
by Rusty
Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.
It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Did you notice that the bowl is hexagonal? I love faceted pipes.

It looks like a Dunhill Shell special to me, but the price is too low for that to be the case.
It looks Italian, I think. Cristiano used to sell that shape and in hexagonal bowl too. I have a Canadian Cristiano in a brown that is very close to that.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:05 pm
by hugodrax
Rusty wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:55 pm
Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.
It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Did you notice that the bowl is hexagonal? I love faceted pipes.

It looks like a Dunhill Shell special to me, but the price is too low for that to be the case.
It looks Italian, I think. Cristiano used to sell that shape and in hexagonal bowl too. I have a Canadian Cristiano in a brown that is very close to that.

All I know is this is a scary thread. I like that pipe.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 am
by Joshoowah
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.

It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Musico

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 am
by durangopipe
Joshoowah wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.

It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Musico
Ah. Just found it at at Smokingpipes.
Gorgeous.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am
by Cleon
Image
This is a Peterson. A little on the clunky side, but still appealing to me. I need to stop looking at pipes.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 am
by durangopipe
Cleon wrote:A little on the clunky side . . .
Don't most Pete's tend to be a little clunky? Part of their charm, I think.
Cleon wrote: I need to stop looking at pipes.
Give in to the Dark Side. The Force is strong in you.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 am
by Joshoowah
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am
Image

Hubba, hubba...
And one more hubba.
If I had $250, it would be mine.

It sure is a beauty. I love the slim lines, the blast and the very slight bend in the stem.
Who made it?
Musico
Ah. Just found it at at Smokingpipes.
Gorgeous.
And it's gone. So sad... another one bites the dust.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 pm
by hugodrax
Cleon wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am
Image
This is a Peterson. A little on the clunky side, but still appealing to me. I need to stop looking at pipes.
That pipe is not clunky. It's adorable. One finger on the stem, one under the bowl, and one on the front of the bowl. Delightful.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:25 pm
by Cleon
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 pm
Cleon wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am
Image
This is a Peterson. A little on the clunky side, but still appealing to me. I need to stop looking at pipes.
That pipe is not clunky. It's adorable. One finger on the stem, one under the bowl, and one on the front of the bowl. Delightful.
It works on this particular pipe. I can't pinpoint it. It just does.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:52 pm
by durangopipe
If there were to be another pipe at this time, it would be another Tinsky. The more I smoke them, the better I like them.
Make that love them.

And if there were to be one more it would be this one:

Image

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:06 pm
by TNLawPiper
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 pm
Cleon wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am
Image
This is a Peterson. A little on the clunky side, but still appealing to me. I need to stop looking at pipes.
That pipe is not clunky. It's adorable. One finger on the stem, one under the bowl, and one on the front of the bowl. Delightful.
Projecting on the pipe, eh?

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:50 am
by Cleon
Image

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am
by Cleon
Image
For A_Morley

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am
by wosbald
+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am
Image
For A_Morley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 am
by Cleon
wosbald wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am
+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am
Image
For A_Morley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g
I've got pencil shanks stuck in my head.

Have you (or anyone that reads this) ever seen a small pencil shanked bulldog - diamond shank and all? If you have, please post. I'm not sure if that would be a pleasing design or not. I'm just curious.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 am
by wosbald
+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am
Image
For A_Morley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g
I've got pencil shanks stuck in my head.

Have you (or anyone that reads this) ever seen a small pencil shanked bulldog - diamond shank and all? If you have, please post. I'm not sure if that would be a pleasing design or not. I'm just curious.
I've not seen one, AFAIR.

I imagine that such would be logistically difficult, the squaring of a shank already increasing the perceived diameter of a shank without adding much in the way of durability. It seems to me that any squared shank that would look like a pencil-shank would, in practicality, have to be a spaghetti-shank which is hiding underneath the four triangular superadditions.

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:26 am
by Cleon
wosbald wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 am
+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 am
wosbald wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am
Image
For A_Morley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g
I've got pencil shanks stuck in my head.

Have you (or anyone that reads this) ever seen a small pencil shanked bulldog - diamond shank and all? If you have, please post. I'm not sure if that would be a pleasing design or not. I'm just curious.
I've not seen one, AFAIR.

I imagine that such would be logistically difficult, the squaring of a shank already increasing the perceived diameter of a shank without adding much in the way of durability. It seems to me that any squared shank that would look like a pencil-shank would, in practicality, have to be a spaghetti-shank which is hiding underneath the four triangular superadditions.
I think you're right. The wall thickness of the shank facet that is closest to the tangent point of the draft hole would have to be super thin to pull off the look. But, you know what, I bet somebody could do it. Practicality be damned. I'm sure they'd ruin a bunch of blocks in the process. :lol:

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:29 pm
by JimVH
Image

Re: The Pipe of Man's Desiring

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:43 pm
by UncleBob
Image

Image

On a side note:
Image

Image