Health Issues of Pipe Smoking

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Paterculus
Congregation
Congregation

Health Issues of Pipe Smoking

Post by Paterculus » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:47 pm

Okay, I have searched in vain to find anyone talking about the health-effects of smoking.

I think all of us, when we meet a non-smoker, run into the objection: Don't you know that will kill you? But is that necessarily so? Should people automatically lump pipe and cigar smokers together with cigarette smokers?

These issues are of concern to many of us. I think it would be great to start some discussion on this, as well as provide links (possibly including a permanent set) to official medical reports that compare the health of pipe and cigar smokers to that of non-smokers.

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:15 am

I'm hardly an expert, but I've heard that in that big study that came out a few years ago that showed cigarette are poison, it also showed that pipe smokers live seveal years longer than non-smokers.

I think the fact that pipe smokers (generally) don't inhale is the biggest reason that pipe smoking isn't as dangerous as cigarettes. And also the fact that we use pretty much pure, top grade tobacco. Cigarettes are made of the cheapest 'baccy the makers can get their hands on, and then has a bunch of chemicals added.
If God is your co-pilot, you're sitting in the wrong seat.

Paterculus
Congregation
Congregation

That Big Study

Post by Paterculus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:00 pm

sguthrie wrote:...that big study that came out a few years ago...
Perhaps someone here can find a link to that study? I'm sure it's posted online somewhere. Anyone?

chrisbs
Congregation
Congregation

Post by chrisbs » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:54 pm

A quick search in google came up with these.... I doubt they are from the study mentiond above.

http://www.meerschaumstore.com/health.htm
http://www.perio.org/consumer/cigars.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

SFC
Usher
Usher

Post by SFC » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:39 am

Any time you have anything foreign in yor mouth you are running a danger of some type of disease, infection, sores, etc., the same would stand true for tobacco products of any sort.

I would say, if it bothers you stop, your body is telling you it does not like what you are doing.

Although pipes are not inhaled one does have a tendency to inhale every once in a while. I believe what is more of an endangerment is not keeping your pipes clean all the time, by running a pipe cleaner through the stem into the pipe with alcohol before smoking it the next time, cleaning the stem bit with alcohol prior to smoking. These are just a couple of things I have been doing.

SFC

sportybird
Congregation
Congregation

Post by sportybird » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:44 am

This website gives a few tips.

Page down on this website to a section called HEALTH, you'll see several articles mentioned, perhaps one is what you are looking for.

Best Regards,
Daniel
We didnt abandon you Pete. We just thought you was a toad.

charleslong
Congregation
Congregation

Post by charleslong » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:16 pm

Go to www.realhealthnews.com. Do a search on the site and some of his archived articles on tobacco should come up. Turns out there's research that shows moderate amounts of tobacco can be healthful--small amounts of nicotine may help regenerate old cells. Click on the part on the right where it says books by Dr. Douglass. He's writing a book called "Smoker's Paradox" about tobacco and health. I ordered and it was supposed to be done by now. During his research, he's found so much info on the possible health effects of tobacco (research that has been pretty much repressed) that the book is going to be much longer than originally intended and won't be ready until around Christmas last I heard. I think the key is moderation. Overdo anything and it's not good for you. But pipe smoking in moderation has never been shown to be harmful.

I will post a review of the book once I get it and read it.

Charles

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:14 am

charleslong wrote:I will post a review of the book once I get it and read it.
I'm looking forward to that! Thanks, Charles.

John-Boy
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

tasty_weed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by tasty_weed » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:23 am

I work in a toxicology department, and the motto we use around here (and in toxicology generally) is, "the dose makes the poison". It really is true. Just about anything is toxic at a certain concentration or frequency. But similarly, just about everything has a "safe" level to which you may be exposed. This goes for tobacco smoke also. If you smoke a pipe in moderation, inhaling only infrequently, all will be fine, all other things being equal. We don't come anywhere near the pack a day for 20+ years crowd.

Pooka
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Pooka » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:50 am

Just stumbled across this site and a discussion on nicotene. I sure don't feel smarter, but that may be from banging my head on steel fittings when on the ship.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/199810 ... _sys.shtml
Reformed Presbyterian (gasp)
Restored
Smokey
Chief Sailor (still sailing)
savedpook on Gmail
http://www.lordandhearth.com

Paul
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Paul » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:24 am

Interesting fact, when buying insurance (health or life) if you are a pipe smoker you are considered a non-smoker. Studies have shown pipe smokers live as long as non-smokers.

Interesting stuff indeed.
".....I can forgive, and I am not ashamed, to be the person that I am today"

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:19 pm

Tagged for later.
Veni vidi velcroe

I came, I saw, I stuck around

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:07 pm

Paul wrote:Interesting fact, when buying insurance (health or life) if you are a pipe smoker you are considered a non-smoker.
Not where I've been shopping (see my thread in the Fellowship Hall).

Now, if you can point me to where you buy this insurance, Paul, you'd being doing my wife and unborn child a great service!! Thanks!

-Andrew

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:57 am

Paul wrote:Interesting fact, when buying insurance (health or life) if you are a pipe smoker you are considered a non-smoker.
Not in my case.

pistolpete
Congregation
Congregation

Post by pistolpete » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:14 pm

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/health/

This was very informative and also had some direct correlation to pipe smoking.

Paul
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Paul » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:52 am

adauria wrote:
Not where I've been shopping (see my thread in the Fellowship Hall).

Now, if you can point me to where you buy this insurance, Paul, you'd being doing my wife and unborn child a great service!! Thanks!

-Andrew
We are with SC bluecross/blueshield
".....I can forgive, and I am not ashamed, to be the person that I am today"

AlwaysLearning

Health checkups.

Post by AlwaysLearning » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:35 pm

It appears from my research on pipe smoking the biggest problem is oral cancer. There are a couple of links that have some good data on the topic. The biggest thing is to get regular checkups. Early detection is key. My dentist includes an entire neck and oral cancer screening with my 6 month checkups. I am sure you could ask your dentist for the same.

RKoory
Congregation
Congregation

Post by RKoory » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:07 am

When ever I’m asked about how bad the pipe is, or told that I’ll get cancer I like to use a little analogy.
Everyone likes milkshakes right? What if you drank 20 milk shakes a day for two years? Much like smoking.
If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day for two years you would be in pretty poor shape. But if you occasionally smoke a pipe in the evening then you should be fine.
If you understood idiots and a-holes you would be one too.

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:05 am

Even when taking the volume of the smoking out of the equasion, I think it's apples to oranges. There ARE those who smoke a pipe all day everyday (I think our own SFC is one, IIRC). Those folks are STILL going to have much less of a risk than a regular cigarette smoker.

First of all, most pipe smokers don't inhale. Secondly, pipe tobacco doesn't have all the chemical additives that ciagrettes do.