pipe sighting

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
alchemyhunter
Bacon Samich
Bacon Samich

Post by alchemyhunter » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:17 am

Frosty the Snow Man and Santa Claus is Coming to Town...

childrens cartoons no less
Our whole life is startlingly moral. There is never an instant's truce between virtue and vice. Goodness is the only investment that never fails. H.D. Thoreau

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:44 am

Watched the last 15 minutes of some weird sci-fi movie last night. In it, Santa Claus had been replaced by a skeleton, still dressed in the red suit and all. None of the kids seemed scared though. Anyway, the real Santa had been captured and seemed to be in hell (like I said, I only caught the end.) Even in hell Santa was smoking a clay pipe. He even offered another detainee some tobacco. The whole thing was weird.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:50 am

Saw a guy smoking a Falcon while sitting in his sedan stuck in traffic.

Baitcast66
Elder
Elder

Post by Baitcast66 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:47 pm

I am in Albuquerque on business this week and I left this morning - went through Midway in Chicago and guess who is staring down at me from the "Battle of Midway" exhibit right there in the terminal but Admiral Nimitz himself lighting up what looks like a neato Dunhill of some sort -
Last edited by Baitcast66 on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Albuquerque?!? Dude thats 3hrs. from me! Plus, you're not from NM and you spelled it right! Spell Check?
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

Baitcast66
Elder
Elder

Post by Baitcast66 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:44 pm

No, I knew that it is spelled ALBU instead of ALBA. I don't know how I figured it out.

Anyway, I love it here. Last time I was here, I went mountain biking all over the place. Now I have to work alot, but it's still a change of pace from Michigan.

So where is there a pipe shop?

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:10 pm

We lived in Albuquerque for two years when we moved away from Louisiana. It was really novel at first, but then we just wanted to see some trees and grass. Ended up really disliking the place (mainly because the city is a lousy city....at least to us).

We've been in Boulder for over ten years though. Love it here. I have to say though, Ruidoso is beautiful. We also loved Taos and Santa Fe and the Sandias were nice (almost made Albuquerque bearable). Cloudcroft is nice as well.

In summary, love New Mexico, hate Albuquerque (with white hot passion).

And in keeping with the thread, I saw an older gentleman smoking a pipe (smooth brown briar bowl with a saddle bit stem) in his car while waiting at a light.

PS - Bait, while you're in Albuquerque try Garcia's on Candelaria. Get the Huevos Locos with a side of sopas. Good stuff.

Baitcast66
Elder
Elder

Post by Baitcast66 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Well as usual, we did Sadie's tonight. (YUM)

I'll vote for Garcia's tomorrow night - one of the APD guys actually recommended it

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:37 pm

Also, try Los Squatos (sp?) over on Central Ave on Sunday. They do a dessert only on Sundays called nutias that's incredible. And if you want a truly memorable experience (if somewhat expensive) take the tram to the top of Sandia Crest and eat at High Finance. You should take the tram up regardless. It's fun (unless you live there and then every freakin' person that ever visits wants to go up).

Baitcast66
Elder
Elder

Post by Baitcast66 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:28 pm

I know why you don't like it here. Or at least I have an idea.

It's because basically this city is one large collection of predatory check cashing and quick loan shops connected by parking lots, with Whataburgers in between.

And this thread is completely off topic. So...

Haven't encountered any pipe smokers here either. But I did my part today driving around with a Pete bulldog.

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:42 pm

Baitcast66 wrote: this city is one large collection of predatory check cashing and quick loan shops connected by parking lots, with Whataburgers in between.
Didn't realize it was a military town :lol:
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:56 am

sysiphus wrote:Didn't realize it was a military town :lol:
Ha! Sounded like San Antonio to me from the description!

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:08 am

You pretty well summed it up. It's just not a nice place.

Baitcast66 wrote:I know why you don't like it here. Or at least I have an idea.

It's because basically this city is one large collection of predatory check cashing and quick loan shops connected by parking lots, with Whataburgers in between.

And this thread is completely off topic. So...

Haven't encountered any pipe smokers here either. But I did my part today driving around with a Pete bulldog.

Baitcast66
Elder
Elder

Post by Baitcast66 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:50 pm

In David Petersen's amazing comic "Mouse Guard", the wise mouse Celanawe fills, lights, brandishes, lights and smokes his pipe in nearly every scene he is in. (Looks like something between a canadian and a churchwarden)

Baitcast66
Elder
Elder

Post by Baitcast66 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:30 pm

In the latest Sports Illustrated, back page, Jack Daniels ad, Frosty the Snowman has a lovat.

misterbeach
This thread sucks, Andrew.
This thread sucks, Andrew.

Post by misterbeach » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:28 pm

Today, as I was driving home from the moooovies, I pulled up next to and old man puffing on some straight pipe. yay!

deadwhitetail
Minister of Bloop
Minister of Bloop

The Great Debaters

Post by deadwhitetail » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:21 pm

I recently saw a prescreening of The Great Debaters, and Denzel Washington was smoking a pipe for a good portion of the film.....wicked cool.

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:23 pm

My wife just informed of a pipe sighting she had yesterday in Springfield, MO. She was on the SE part of town and spotted a fellow driving a SUV puffing away on a large meerschaum while waiting at a traffic light. She stated the smoker was enjoying himself but his wife (girlfriend) did not appear to be too happy.
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

oldbluein2
Congregation
Congregation

Post by oldbluein2 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:05 pm

While driving around Cary, saw a guy probably in his 20s or early 30s driving an old brown late 70s or early 80s Chevy/GMC 4X4 longbed pickup puffing happily on a briar. It was beautiful Sunday afternoon and just seemed to be thoroughly enjoying his lazy sunday afternoon drive. Had I had a pipe in my truck, would have 'saluted' him. Ahhh the camaraderie of the fellowship of the briar! Gotta love it!

Danksalot
Usher
Usher

Post by Danksalot » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:59 pm

This was last summer, but it was so cool I have to tell you guys. I was at a Pep Boys auto parts store in Springfield. I saw a mid-70's Kawasaki motorcycle coming into the parking lot with an old guy on it. He was wearing a hawaiian shirt with some cargo shorts. His beard hung down to his belly and he was puffing on a bent briar. It was just like seeing Merlin the wizard on vacation. Really cool.