Christian Pipe Smokers Boxpass

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Christian Pipe Smokers Boxpass

Post by John-Boy » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:05 am

Hey - I posted a note on the yahoo forum last week about starting up a boxpass. I've only got 2 responses so far (Billybob, and Stephen Gresso - from the yahoo group). We need at least 1/2 dozen to make it worth while. If you're intersted let me know. No start date till we establish enough interested parties - here's the guidelines we'll be using (stolen from Yarnie on the Haven list):

-----

I'm sure there are some folks who have never been in a boxpass before (like me), so if those of you who are old hands at this would please just bear with me, I'll clearly outline the "rules" of this pass. If you have any questions or want some kind of clarification, please email me at.

--This pass is open to USA Residents ONLY! We have many brethren across the borders that we'd love to have participate in this pass, but issues with Customs makes this impractical, at best. Our apologies to those Brethren of the Briar outside the USA.

--Each participant is urged to keep the box no longer than two or three (2 or 3) days before shipping it out to the next person on the list. Feel free to sample from the open tins and from the bulk tobaccos (but, please be sure to reseal the baggies that contain them once you are done...thanks!). All that is asked in exchange for this is that you leave something in the box for others to sample. While this is fun, please remember that your fellow Brethren further down the list from you are anxiously awaiting the box's arrival. Uncalled for delays spoil the fun!

--When shipping the box to the next participant the use of Priority Mail service with Delivery Confirmation is required. Shipping via UPS is also acceptable.

--If the box is beginning to show some wear and tear, please replace it with a new box. "It can make it one more time" thinking in the past has resulted in items being lost due to the box failing while in the shipping company's hands.

--Puts and Takes should be of like kind of items in the box. If you take a sealed tin, replace it with a sealed tin. If you take a partial tin, replace it with a partial tin. If you take some bulk, replace it with bulk. The only caveat is that sealed tins can be used to replace any tobacco in the box. Bulk tobacco should be properly packaged in Ziploc bags to prevent their drying out. Partial tins in this box will be individually placed in Ziploc bags, so please be courteous and place your partial tins going into the box in Ziplocs as well (this is to insure that they do not dry out).

--Tobacco used for Puts into the box should be of good quality and should be blends that you would like others to try. This is not a disposal service to rid yourself of umpteen sample baggies-it is an opportunity to sample and trade for some tobaccos you may not have had the chance to smoke and to give your fellow Brethren of the Briar a chance to try some tobaccos they may not have tried before.

--Please, no glass containers. One word-breakage! 'Nuff said!

--Puts and Takes should be notated on the list enclosed in the box. Additionally, all puts and takes should be posted to this thread of the bulletin board. Remember: That's part of the fun of participating in a boxpass is watching the thing play out on the board!

--There may be pipes in the box. You are free to trade out for one of them on a pipe-for-pipe basis. Any pipe of similar quality will be appreciated.

SIGNUP PROCEDURE
This is easy. Send an email to John-Boy with the following information (in the following order, please):
--BB handle (if you have more than one, please include the one you use most often)
--Name
--Address
--email address
--Phone number (only to be used as a last resort for contact)

I will send you a confirming email letting you know that you are in the pass. If there are more than 12 people who sign up, I will use the time stamp on the emails I receive to determine the cut-off point.Well here goes Folks, hopefully we gonna have us some fun!!!
Last edited by John-Boy on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Tyler » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:24 pm

Perhaps there are some issues with the Yahoo delivery system, but I count 6 folks interested in the box pass. I am certainly one of them, and I will send the necessary e-mail just as soon as I finish typing this post.

Another issue that might indicate a strangeness in the delivery system is a lack of response to introduction posts. It could be that I am just unfamiliar with the protocal of this group, but when I sent my intorduction post through the Yahoo group one person replied to it. And he had been a member just a few days himself. Having joined several other groups similar to this one I am accustomed to being greeted with several "welcome aboard" type posts in respose to an introduction. It was odd to be greeting by nothing but silence when I made my introduction. Is it possible that no one (or not many) saw my post, or does this group not welcome in the "normal" manner?

Tyler

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:27 pm

Tyler, I think there are a lot of sleepers in this group. It was one of the reasons I wanted to set up this site. I was hoping to spark some more activity. I really believe that some of the people on the mailing list only check their email intermittently. If you have any ideas how we can rouse them, I'm open. John-Boy seems really good at posting tough topics without trolling. Hopefully that will spark some interest, but not if no one comes to read. Take a look at the members list, out of 22 new members, only 11 have posted (and the "testuser" is not a really member anyway)

Blessings, Tony
Tony McCallie :pipe:

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:17 am

I think that Yahoo is a bad forum in general. It's a pain to go to the board to read the messages because of all the adds, and I don't want my inbox flooded with e-mails, so I select the daily digests (for a group with less activity like ours, I probably should have gone to individual e-mails). As a result, a lot of times I feel a converstaion has ended before I even see it, or when I read it I don't have time to log onto Yahoo to post a reply right then and end up forgetting abou it. Unless you have a lot of members there, it's tough to get into any kind of flow.

Tyler - my apologize for failing to welcome you aboard. Hopefully we can make everyone feel more welcome here.

As for the box-pass, it sounds like a great idea, but with the kids and all I just don't have a lot of time for errands (weekends are really the only time we have a chance to do ANYTHING). I'm afraid if I partcipated the box would sit in my den forever and I'd hold things up.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:46 am

As far as the boxpass goes - it's probably the fault of my email not yahoo - I posted the message thursday or friday last week? Most of Friday I didn't get email and Monday their was a note that emails from Friday had been lost. I'll post again to Yahoo to see if those interested there will resend their info. Thanks for the heads up, Tyler. By the way - Welcome!

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:08 am

I've got 5 on the list so far:

Billybob
Stephen Gresso
Tyler
ArtGuy
John-Boy (me)

We've got plenty of room!

John-Boy

ArtGuy
Officiant of Ordure
Officiant of Ordure

Post by ArtGuy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:09 am

I'm all up for a box pass. I sent John my addy. Let me know if you did not get it.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:14 am

I got it! I'm heading to the local pipe shop today to pick up some good stuff for the box. Just a few more and we can get started.

John-Boy

Tyler
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Tyler » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:58 am

Alright! I love box passes.

Thanks for explaining the Yahoo situation. In re-reading my post, I sounded a little more whiny about the intrduction post than I intended to.

I was going for just a little bit of whine and over-shot. :lol:

Sorry. :oops:

Best,
Tyler

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:17 am

Tyler - since you've done the box pass thing before - or anyone else that might know --- are there problems doing this with BoB's in Canada? Looks like most of the time it's limited to the US to avoid customs issues. Anyone have any experience on this stuff?

Tyler
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Tyler » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:13 am

I do not have first-hand experience with Canadian customs, but that is the reason most (all?) US originated box passes are limited to the US.

I think that our nothern brethren would be MUCH better served to start up their own box pass. From what I hear, both the time and cost of getting a package with a couple hundred bucks worth of tobacco through customs would be a nightmare.

Tyler

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:26 am

That's what I thought. Okay then, to the Mounties - sorry guys. :cry:

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:40 am

Okay - we're up to 7. I'll make this weekend the cut off if we don't get to 12. Here's the list so far:
  • Billybob
    Stephen Gresso
    Tyler
    ArtGuy
    Charles Long
    Todd R. Jerabek
    John-Boy (me)

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:41 am

Hey! You forgot me :cry:

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:44 am

Okay - we're up to 8. I'll make this weekend the cut off if we don't get to 12. Here's the list so far:

Billybob
Stephen Gresso
Tyler
ArtGuy
Charles Long
Todd R. Jerabek
Tony "how could I forget you?" McCallie
John-Boy (me)

Sirbax
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sirbax » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:34 pm

Sounds like a fun and good idea, I'm in.
<div>Hear my weekly PODCAST on the history of the world around us at <a href="http://www.audioalmanac.com/">www.AudioAlmanac.com</a>. <br><br>Please spread the word on this PODCAST!!!</div><br>

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:49 pm

Sirbax, welcome to the forum :!: Make sure you email John directly to get on the list :wink:
CLICK HERE for his profile.

Blessings, Tony

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:41 am

Sirbax makes 9! Woohoo!

I still need info for:
Tony "how could I forget you?" McCallie
Billybob
Stephen Gresso
Sirbax

Send me:
--BB handle
--Name
--Address
--email address
--Phone number (only to be used as a last resort for contact)

Anyone excited?

Coffeenut
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Coffeenut » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:25 pm

I'm in also, if there is still room. Email will follow shortly. Question from one who has never done this: Does one box make its way around or do we all make our own box and send it around so there will be many boxes cycling? Also, will this just keep rotating or cycle only once?
Cliff

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:11 am

I'm packing up a box and we'll pass that one around. I'm thinking we'll do one lap around the country - then see who wants to stay in for the second and future laps.

We've got 10 on the list (though not everyone has emailed me their address). I need addresses for Billybob, Stephen G, and Coffenut.