Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:35 am

underscoretim wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
underscoretim wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
underscoretim wrote:just about...i smoked a lot on vacation so i'll probably be ordering another pallet before to long
YES!
that is awesome.
He looks like he's in a McCella(nd)coma of Frog Mortony bliss.
aye, and what a place to be
But do you really want to smoke the stuff after he's done bathing in it?

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:07 am

PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by PipeAndPint » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:02 pm

"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

underscoretim
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by underscoretim » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:14 pm

PipeAndPint wrote:Image
thats real pirty. i really dig the pipe rack

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:13 pm

Yeah - way cool pipe rack.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:14 pm

John-Boy wrote:Yeah - way cool pipe rack.
All of your pipes are sticking their tongues out.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:03 pm

John-Boy wrote:
why the pipe cleaners in the pipes?
YEAH COBS

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Zed wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
You mean you're not familiar with the JWM Drinkless Stem Insert (patent pending)? It keeps you from drawing bitter moisture through the stem by obstructing it completely.

Seriously, though, that is a sweet pipe rack. Are those tobacco jars or just wooden ornamentation in the back of it, Jeremiah?

4thmedbn
Minister of Cheesy Bunions
Minister of Cheesy Bunions

Post by 4thmedbn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:17 pm

I find that if you both squint your eyes, as suggested by Dug, and shake your head back and forth while looking at the picture, you really get a feel for what it would be like...

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:18 am

Dug wrote:
Zed wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
You mean you're not familiar with the JWM Drinkless Stem Insert (patent pending)? It keeps you from drawing bitter moisture through the stem by obstructing it completely.

Seriously, though, that is a sweet pipe rack. Are those tobacco jars or just wooden ornamentation in the back of it, Jeremiah?
The pipe rack is shaped like an eye, with a row in the back to match the row in the front. The two jars that sit in the middle are real. I bought it on eBay a few months ago.

I put a cleaner in my pipes after smoking to suck up residual moisture. If I don't get around to removing them after a few hours, they stay in the pipe until the next smoke. Seems to work.
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:33 am

I've seen others do the same, including Chip. You're right, seems to work rather well.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am

I've never felt comfortable with keeping the cleaner in there indefinitely. The idea is to let everything dry out, so it would seem that after X amount of time the moisture would be mostly contained in the cleaner, but it would still be in the pipe. Moisture is bacteria's friend, so though I might leave the cleaner in following an exceptionally gurgly smoke, I generally pull it no later than the next morning.

Dunno. Anybody have objective evidence, as opposed to the subjective we're throwing out like "I do it this way and I'm not dead yet" ? :wink:
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Chip
Usher
Usher

Post by Chip » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:38 am

You guys... some of your "cellars" look really organized and put together... I was thinking of sharing a pic of my modest stock, but then I thought ... geez, I better tidy this up a bit first! Mine is kind of all-over my studio...
Chip Richter ~ www.chiprichter.com

Chip
Usher
Usher

Post by Chip » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:45 am

Skip wrote:I've never felt comfortable with keeping the cleaner in there indefinitely. The idea is to let everything dry out, so it would seem that after X amount of time the moisture would be mostly contained in the cleaner, but it would still be in the pipe. Moisture is bacteria's friend, so though I might leave the cleaner in following an exceptionally gurgly smoke, I generally pull it no later than the next morning.

Dunno. Anybody have objective evidence, as opposed to the subjective we're throwing out like "I do it this way and I'm not dead yet" ? :wink:
Skip... I tend to agree... I used to leave a pipe cleaner in my pipes, as Irish-Dane mentioned...but I stopped for exactly the reason you mentioned.

However... when I'm traveling, after smoking a pipe I always leave a pipe cleaner in before putting it back into my bag... then when I get home I remove it before putting back in the rack... my thinking there, the pipe cleaner will absorb any left over moisture that would not dry out as quickly inside my pipe bag.
Chip Richter ~ www.chiprichter.com

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:19 am

Chip wrote:
Skip wrote:I've never felt comfortable with keeping the cleaner in there indefinitely. The idea is to let everything dry out, so it would seem that after X amount of time the moisture would be mostly contained in the cleaner, but it would still be in the pipe. Moisture is bacteria's friend, so though I might leave the cleaner in following an exceptionally gurgly smoke, I generally pull it no later than the next morning.

Skip... I tend to agree... I used to leave a pipe cleaner in my pipes, as Irish-Dane mentioned...but I stopped for exactly the reason you mentioned.

However... when I'm traveling, after smoking a pipe I always leave a pipe cleaner in before putting it back into my bag... then when I get home I remove it before putting back in the rack... my thinking there, the pipe cleaner will absorb any left over moisture that would not dry out as quickly inside my pipe bag.
Good point, Skip.

jam4ar
Elder
Elder

Post by jam4ar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:28 am

I read this a while ago.. argues against leaving the cleaner in.. *shrug*
you may have already seen it..

vegassmokes.com Tobacco pipe smoking tips

Skip

Post by Skip » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:00 pm

jam4ar wrote:I read this a while ago.. argues against leaving the cleaner in.. *shrug*
you may have already seen it..

vegassmokes.com Tobacco pipe smoking tips
Well I won't be jumping for statistical tests of hypotheses, but that's a step in the direction of objectivity. Thanks, jam4ar.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:35 pm

I just drop all of my pipes into a tall, gleaming glass jar of Barbicide and let them pickle until my next smoke. It gives even the cheapest of tobaccos the hearty tang of hospital-grade disinfectant. Mmmmm, alkyl dimethylbenzyl ammonium chloride...

jam4ar
Elder
Elder

Post by jam4ar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:47 pm

And I thought the ketchup smell of some McClelland's was bad....

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Pictures of your cellar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:11 pm

I thought I saw a more recent thread with this topic, but I will post here. It's impossible to see all the tobacco, as it's all jammed in one of the shelves here in the hallway closet, which stays a more even temperature year round. Anyway, this is my store house of pipe tobacco I have accumulated since February 2016.

Lots of tins of stuff I like and lots of bulk tobacco in more than 48 Kerr 1/2 pint jars in the back (Kerr boxes stack well, too). The large box in the upper left is packed full with 25 tins of McClelland Aurora and Tudor Castle. The most tins I have of any one tobacco are of Dunhill Flake. 21. Next McConnell Scottish Flake. The most bulk I have in jars are Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, John Bull, McClelland 5100 Red Cake, McClelland 5115 Old World Classic Cake, & Dunhill Nightcap. There will soon be more jars of Gawith Hoggarth bulk flake I have come to relish.

Last edited by Goose55 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis