lighters?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: lighters?

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm

A_Morley wrote: They tend to be fat, awkward, poorly dressed people with limited vocabularies and irritating opinions... Piggish, grunting sub-humans who would come in making wheezing noises ...
One of these days I'm gonna start crap like this personal.

I love Zippos.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm
A_Morley wrote: They tend to be fat, awkward, poorly dressed people with limited vocabularies and irritating opinions... Piggish, grunting sub-humans who would come in making wheezing noises ...

I love Zippos.
For a second, I thought Durango was talking about me: "I don’t know about big fat guys that don’t speak well..."
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:45 pm
Here it is cleaned up,
Tuned up,
Fired up!

It is lighting every time and will now go into my regular use. Thanks for the guidance and info.

This is my Nimrod...it is taller and thicker than my Zippo. The Zippo is a standard. The Zippo may be a smidge wider, but over all it is a smaller lighter...just by a little but noticeably smaller.

It also goes to familiarity. I have been using the Zippo for most of my adult life. The Nimrod came to me just last year.

Wow looking at those pics, I see I need to get the metal polish out and get it cleaned up better :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am

OK...I am still having an issue with my Nimrod...yup the one in the pics above. I fill it up and its good for 12 to 15 or so lights and then it won't light. There is plenty of spark and if I put more fluid in (its really swimming with fluid) then it will light a dozen or so more times and then it stops. Is there a way to replace the wick? or are there replacement wicks? It holds fluid for an insane long time, but unless its dripping fuel, it won't light.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am
OK...I am still having an issue with my Nimrod...yup the one in the pics above. I fill it up and its good for 12 to 15 or so lights and then it won't light. There is plenty of spark and if I put more fluid in (its really swimming with fluid) then it will light a dozen or so more times and then it stops. Is there a way to replace the wick? or are there replacement wicks? It holds fluid for an insane long time, but unless its dripping fuel, it won't light.
Trim the wick.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 am

Cool I'll do that tonight. My wife has a late meeting and it will be pipe and lighter bench time for me.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am
Trim the wick.
If trimming the wick doesn't work, let it dry out and take all of the cotton "stuffing" out. It's not unusual with an old lighter to have seen so much use that there is precious little wick left and it's time for a replacement. Sometimes a lighter that's sat for decades ends up with a punky wick, too. If it needs a replacement, you won't be able to get nimrod wicks any more and you'll need to go online and look for the Ronson wicks with the guide needle. They fit, but they're no longer made and can be found sometimes on Amazon and sometimes on eBay. I had luck once calling a local tobacconist to see if he had any in the back, too.

Good luck. You can train a monkey to fix a lighter or I'd never know any of this.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 pm
JimVH wrote:

I love Zippos.
For a second, I thought Durango was talking about me: "I don’t know about big fat guys that don’t speak well..."
Never!

By the way, I just got another Zippo.
I thought I lost the one I leave at school; so,I ordered one of the “retro” 30s look versions with a pipe lighter insert.
Looks very nice!

If you’re a, “I like to keep my rims from charring,” nutcase like me, these Zippos are hard to beat.

Oh. I found the lost lighter.
Now, I can leave one in the car.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:16 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
JimVH wrote:

I love Zippos.
Never!

I thought I lost the one I leave at school; so,I ordered one of the “retro” 30s look versions with a pipe lighter insert.
Looks very nice!

If you’re a, “I like to keep my rims from charring,” nutcase like me, these Zippos are hard to beat.

In m experience, the easiest way to find a lost lighter is to buy a new one. Never fails. :)

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:00 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:16 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
JimVH wrote:

I love Zippos.
Never!

Looks very nice!

In m experience, the easiest way to find a lost lighter is to buy a new one. Never fails. :)
Sort of like washing your car to make it rain.
Works every time. Especially so if you live on a dirt road.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 am

Update on the Nimrod. I trimmed the wick...no joy...used my bodkin and perforated the wick from the sides, I then perforated the cotton and then perforated the wick from the top down into the cotton. And we had fire twice then no joy. I did a better job of trimming the wick and another shot with the bodkin on the center of the wick and...Now its lighting every time. :taco: :bacon: :chili:

I think this lighter was little used, plenty of wick, and then just sat in a desk drawer for years and years. I will keep using it and hopefully get it to where it is reliable. Thanks UB and Hugo.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 am
Update on the Nimrod. I trimmed the wick...no joy...used my bodkin and perforated the wick from the sides, I then perforated the cotton and then perforated the wick from the top down into the cotton. And we had fire twice then no joy. I did a better job of trimming the wick and another shot with the bodkin on the center of the wick and...Now its lighting every time. :taco: :bacon: :chili:

I think this lighter was little used, plenty of wick, and then just sat in a desk drawer for years and years. I will keep using it and hopefully get it to where it is reliable. Thanks UB and Hugo.
:thumbsup:
Glad you've got it working BH.

Tangent: I always found it interesting how the word nimrod evolved to mean two such different things.

nim·rod
ˈnimräd
noun
1. literary: a skillful hunter.
2. NORTH AMERICAN informal: an inept person.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:57 am

One of my uncles used to call me Nimrod all the time...I don't think he thought I was a skillful hunter :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 am

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm

I just had my camera out for something else - decided to make better photo of the Dunhill one very generous CPSer gave me while the camera was handy, and used the new "Old" Zippo as a prop.

They call this model, "Retro."

It is the same shape and corner details as the lighters they sold in the 30s - sort of "Deco." I like it better than the current shape. This one came with a pipe lighter insert and cost around $15.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm

My lighters (except for a Bic around here somewhere).
Left to Right: My great-uncle's Derby Aluminum Block lighter probably from when he returned from WWII. An IMCO that sees a lot of use; I bought this lighter on a trip at a pipe shop out of new-old-stock when I found myself lighterless. Too bad they don't make these anymore. My trusty Nimrod Admiral that also sees a lot of regular use. A copper plated Zippo I bought in the early Nineties; I love this style as it reminds me of all the copper plumbing I did with my Daddy when I was a kid. A nicer engraved Zippo Beth and the boys bought me for my birthday a few years back. I used the Zippos a lot until the Nimrod proved to outperform them so much regarding frequency of fuel refills.

Of course, on occasion, I will carry strike anywhere matches in one of my match safes instead.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:03 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm
Left to Right: My great-uncle's Derby Aluminum Block lighter probably from when he returned from WWII. An IMCO that sees a lot of use; I bought this lighter on a trip at a pipe shop out of new-old-stock when I found myself lighterless. Too bad they don't make these anymore. My trusty Nimrod Admiral that also sees a lot of regular use. A copper plated Zippo I bought in the early Nineties; I love this style as it reminds me of all the copper plumbing I did with my Daddy when I was a kid. A nicer engraved Zippo Beth and the boys bought me for my birthday a few years back. I used the Zippos a lot until the Nimrod proved to outperform them so much regarding frequency of fuel refills.

Of course, on occasion, I will carry strike anywhere matches in one of my match safes instead.
Very nice!

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:03 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:

Very nice!
Yes, very nice. My dad had an old Nimrod pipe lighter that I wish I could locate.

Steve, where did you pick up the zippo + insert for $15?
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:34 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:03 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:

Very nice!
Yes, very nice. My dad had an old Nimrod pipe lighter that I wish I could locate.

Steve, where did you pick up the zippo + insert for $15?
eBay

This guy:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=& ... _sacat=593

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm

I am content with my Bic disposables.

Especially the orange ones.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon