Page 5 of 7

Re: lighters?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 am
by Goose55
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 am
A "Vertigo" pipe lighter I got on the cheap from Pipes & Cigars over a year ago has been going strong ever since I stopped buying wooden matches.
Don't play with fire, kid. Only you can prevent forest fires.
As a child, I once accidentally caught the neighbors forest on fire than ran and hid under our row boat. Nobody ever found out.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am
by hugodrax
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 am
A "Vertigo" pipe lighter I got on the cheap from Pipes & Cigars over a year ago has been going strong ever since I stopped buying wooden matches.
Don't play with fire, kid. Only you can prevent forest fires.
As a child, I once accidentally caught the neighbors forest on fire than ran and hid under our row boat. Nobody ever found out.
Not surprised. I'd think unintended death and destruction have followed in your wake all of your life. Row boat was wooden, no doubt?

Be careful with fire, Goose. Scary stuff.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:27 am
by UncleBob
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 am
A "Vertigo" pipe lighter I got on the cheap from Pipes & Cigars over a year ago has been going strong ever since I stopped buying wooden matches.
Don't play with fire, kid. Only you can prevent forest fires.
As a child, I once accidentally caught the neighbors forest on fire than ran and hid under our row boat. Nobody ever found out.
Not surprised. I'd think unintended death and destruction have followed in your wake all of your life. Row boat was wooden, no doubt?

Be careful with fire, Goose. Scary stuff.
Image

Image

Image

Re: lighters?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:40 am
by Goose55
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:06 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 am
A "Vertigo" pipe lighter I got on the cheap from Pipes & Cigars over a year ago has been going strong ever since I stopped buying wooden matches.
Don't play with fire, kid. Only you can prevent forest fires.
As a child, I once accidentally caught the neighbors forest on fire than ran and hid under our row boat. Nobody ever found out.
Not surprised. I'd think unintended death and destruction have followed in your wake all of your life. Row boat was wooden, no doubt?

Be careful with fire, Goose. Scary stuff.
I also used to enjoy playing with cans of Instant Start, turning them into blow torches.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:24 pm
by FredS
I bought this antiqued silver zippo with insert last year. I figured it was going to get distressed living in my pocket so it might as well start that way.

For some reason, it had a label warning me to keep it away from Jack-o'-lanterns.

Image

Re: lighters?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm
by Bloodhound
FredS wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:24 pm
I bought this antiqued silver zippo with insert last year. I figured it was going to get distressed living in my pocket so it might as well start that way.

For some reason, it had a label warning me to keep it away from Jack-o'-lanterns.

Image
Halloween is just around the corner...I would use that lighter to light the Jack-o'-lantern

Re: lighters?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:32 pm
by hugodrax
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:24 pm
I bought this antiqued silver zippo with insert last year. I figured it was going to get distressed living in my pocket so it might as well start that way.

For some reason, it had a label warning me to keep it away from Jack-o'-lanterns.

Image
Halloween is just around the corner...I would use that lighter to light the Jack-o'-lantern
I think that's a drawing of young Goose.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:27 pm
by Goose55
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:32 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:24 pm
I bought this antiqued silver zippo with insert last year. I figured it was going to get distressed living in my pocket so it might as well start that way.

For some reason, it had a label warning me to keep it away from Jack-o'-lanterns.

Image
Halloween is just around the corner...I would use that lighter to light the Jack-o'-lantern
I think that's a drawing of young Goose.
No, that's a baby quail or roadrunner. Geese don't have Mohawks.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:00 pm
by kaydens
Austrian made imco if you can find them.

Which Old Boy did you end up getting?

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm
by UncleBob
I ordered one of these on Amazon, today:
Image

It was only $13.83!

:taco:

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm
by hugodrax
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm
I ordered one of these on Amazon, today:
Image

It was only $13.83!

:taco:
That's because it's ugly.

:dancingpie:

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 pm
by UncleBob
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm
I ordered one of these on Amazon, today:
Image

It was only $13.83!

:taco:
That's because it's ugly.

:dancingpie:
Probably scare the jack-o-lanterns.
Image

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 pm
by Bloodhound
Hey a new lighter is almost as fun as getting a new pipe. Congrats

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm
by hugodrax
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 pm
Hey a new lighter is almost as fun as getting a new pipe. Congrats
Where's that post of Morley's about the dummy looking for 1q and sparking up his pipe with a Zippo? That was a classic.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:01 pm
by UncleBob
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 pm
Hey a new lighter is almost as fun as getting a new pipe. Congrats
Where's that post of Morley's about the dummy looking for 1q and sparking up his pipe with a Zippo? That was a classic.
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:13 pm
A_Morley wrote:I tend to hold a pipe in my mouth. It is far easier to do with a small pipe. Also, I am of a slight, lanky build. I find that I look and feel awkward smoking a pipe with a bowl the size of a coffee can, as where a smaller, slighter pipe simply feels more natural. What is more, I am often on the move and have to carry more than one pipe on my person. This, of course, is easier to do with pipes of a smaller size.

I also find that I do not like men who conspicuously favor massive pipes. They tend to be fat, awkward, poorly dressed people with limited vocabularies and irritating opinions. Honestly, when I ran a tobacco shop, I made it a point to observe the characteristics of various pipe smoking customers. Those big pipe guys were little better than philistines, I tell you. Just the worst. Piggish, grunting sub-humans who would come in making wheezing noises and saying things like,

"Howdy, young feller. Do ya' work here? Ya do? Young guy like you? You ain't old enough to smoke. So, do ya have that Rob's Blend? What do ya mean you ain't heard of Rob's Blend? I gets it all a' the time over at Rob's Baccy and Bait Shop over in Bumblescum County. 'Likely a re-branded domestic bulk tobacco?' What th' heck's that 'spose to mean? Those is some five dollar words, them is."

Then, when I would give him some goddamn 1Q or RLP-6, old Billy Bob Beachball Gut with a Budweiser hat would pull out the biggest, ugliest pipe I had ever seen and use his non-opposable thumb to pack his bowl and, after firing that big bastard up with a pipe zippo, he would usually say something like,

"Well, if that don't beat all. I thought you said you didn't have Rob's Blend, but this is Rob's Blend sure as my cousin's my common law wife. Give me five bucks worth."

Dammit. Why did you have to make me remember that? This is why I hate you all.
This post is worth starting the thread.

Well done!

Image

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:23 pm
by hugodrax
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:01 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 pm
Hey a new lighter is almost as fun as getting a new pipe. Congrats
Where's that post of Morley's about the dummy looking for 1q and sparking up his pipe with a Zippo? That was a classic.
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:13 pm
A_Morley wrote:I tend to hold a pipe in my mouth. It is far easier to do with a small pipe. Also, I am of a slight, lanky build. I find that I look and feel awkward smoking a pipe with a bowl the size of a coffee can, as where a smaller, slighter pipe simply feels more natural. What is more, I am often on the move and have to carry more than one pipe on my person. This, of course, is easier to do with pipes of a smaller size.

I also find that I do not like men who conspicuously favor massive pipes. They tend to be fat, awkward, poorly dressed people with limited vocabularies and irritating opinions. Honestly, when I ran a tobacco shop, I made it a point to observe the characteristics of various pipe smoking customers. Those big pipe guys were little better than philistines, I tell you. Just the worst. Piggish, grunting sub-humans who would come in making wheezing noises and saying things like,

"Howdy, young feller. Do ya' work here? Ya do? Young guy like you? You ain't old enough to smoke. So, do ya have that Rob's Blend? What do ya mean you ain't heard of Rob's Blend? I gets it all a' the time over at Rob's Baccy and Bait Shop over in Bumblescum County. 'Likely a re-branded domestic bulk tobacco?' What th' heck's that 'spose to mean? Those is some five dollar words, them is."

Then, when I would give him some goddamn 1Q or RLP-6, old Billy Bob Beachball Gut with a Budweiser hat would pull out the biggest, ugliest pipe I had ever seen and use his non-opposable thumb to pack his bowl and, after firing that big bastard up with a pipe zippo, he would usually say something like,

"Well, if that don't beat all. I thought you said you didn't have Rob's Blend, but this is Rob's Blend sure as my cousin's my common law wife. Give me five bucks worth."

Dammit. Why did you have to make me remember that? This is why I hate you all.
This post is worth starting the thread.

Well done!

Image
Yeah, that one. Put me off zippos. I've met that feller.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm
by Bloodhound
My Nimrod is still working well, but it is bigger and a little bulkier than my Zippo. I find myself taking the Zippo with me to the patio when I smoke. Its dark normally and the zippo is comfortable and just seems to be the one I use.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm
by hugodrax
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm
My Nimrod is still working well, but it is bigger and a little bulkier than my Zippo. I find myself taking the Zippo with me to the patio when I smoke. Its dark normally and the zippo is comfortable and just seems to be the one I use.
Huh, my Nimrod Commander is no bigger. Are you using that abomination, the Sportsman.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 pm
by JudgeRusty
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:34 pm
My Nimrod is still working well, but it is bigger and a little bulkier than my Zippo. I find myself taking the Zippo with me to the patio when I smoke. Its dark normally and the zippo is comfortable and just seems to be the one I use.
Huh, my Nimrod Commander is no bigger. Are you using that abomination, the Sportsman.
Yeah, my Nimrod is definitely more slender than a Zippo, I am not sure which is taller without a side by side comparison, and that would involve standing up.

Re: lighters?

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:32 pm
by durangopipe
I don’t know about big fat guys that don’t speak well (although, I hugely enjoyed reading Morley’s post), but when the wind is blowing a lighter with a windguard and a flame generated with a flint, lighter fluid and a wick (Nimrod, Zippo . . .) is nice to have.

Matches indoors.
Zippo in the wind.

Today, I left my Zippo at home and cursed myself for it.

Enjoy your new lighter, UB.