The Briary

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
StatHaldol
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

The Briary

Post by StatHaldol » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:11 am

The Briary in Homewood, Alabama is having their annual pipe event February 20. It may be a good opportunity for those in the southeast to visit Skip and the guys there. They are a fun group.
"Twas much, that man was made like God before, but that God should be made like man, much more". John Donne

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: The Briary

Post by coco » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:14 am

So are you planning on being there this year? I, MrPiper, JudgeRusty, et. al. usually go to the annual pipe event.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

StatHaldol
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by StatHaldol » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:58 am

coco wrote:So are you planning on being there this year? I, MrPiper, JudgeRusty, et. al. usually go to the annual pipe event.
I'm going to try, I haven't been there in years.
"Twas much, that man was made like God before, but that God should be made like man, much more". John Donne

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Good fellowship there.

BTW, that location would make an excellent place for a good Pipe, Tobacco and Cigar shop.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:57 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:Good fellowship there.

BTW, that location would make an excellent place for a good Pipe, Tobacco and Cigar shop.
I recant as to the above statement.

I made my first visit to the Briary in several months today.
It was well stocked and except for the Cigars sign on the side of the building and the presence of the humidor, it had every appearance of a pipe and pipe tobacco shop (as opposed to many B&Ms that are cigar shops with pipe stuff).

But the biggest news to me is that Joe was working the counter with Skip. Joe is young, friendly, a pipe smoker, and conversant on most all the pipe tobaccos present, with knowledge of the blend contents.

That had been my only knock on the store. Skip is a respected pipe maker as well as friendly and hospitable. But I had never been able to get an employee there to give any advice on pipe tobaccos further than "we sell a lot of that" or "we don't sell much of that."

Pipe event at the Briary is Feb 20th. I have a conflict I need to smooth away if possible that day.
Last edited by JudgeRusty on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Shout out again to Joe at the Briary. We had a good visit with him and Skip today. It will be my last for a while due to the upcoming move.

We even got to witness the genesis of a new pipe smoker. I mean, from the start, as in, "hi, I would like to start smoking a pipe, can you help me?"

If a young man aspires to be a good old man expertly working the counter of a pipe shop, I cannot think of someone with a better start than Joe.

Joe also mentioned the name, but not the handle, of a Briary regular who regularly quotes from CPS. Neither Coco, Joshoowah or I could fathom who it might be. Reveal thyself!

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:52 pm

1st visit in a while (see previous). Shop mostly the same. Vacant lot across street is gone and in it's place sits some sort of large pizza restaurant. Homewood Dinner is closed, sadly.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 pm

We up for a meetup in June?
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:14 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 pm
We up for a meetup in June?
The event was on February 23rd, so we won't be able to meet for that. However, I am most certainly up for something, at my place, your place, or the Briary, or wherever.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk