Any CPS Beekeepers

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
User avatar
bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 3468
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Myrtle Point, OR
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by bilder » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:30 am

Kept bees when I lived in Medford. Captured a couple swarms since I am too cheap to pay for them.

Sold that hive when I moved and just secured space for a hive over here. Going to get it set up later this month and start chasing swarms again once the season hits.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36440
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by Del » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:33 am

I would like to keep bees. With the collapse of hives everywhere, I wonder if we should all work to help.

I would have to convert a chunk of my lawn to clover or flowering prairie plants.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12383
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by tuttle » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:42 am

I'd love to try my hand at beekeeping. I don't know much about it, but I'm assuming we probably don't have the land for it. But my brother likely does.

Have you all seen this!?

https://vimeo.com/127851841
Image

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Grammordon
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by Grammordon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:36 am

For all you interested parties with no land. The secret is you can't fence in a bee. The hive will cover miles of territory whether you like it or not. Check out "Beekeeping for Dummies" excellent book for beginners. I will add some cities require that you register your hive

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6055
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:38 am

hugodrax wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:This thread makes a lot of Hov's one hit wonders look response-worthy. But I used to keep bees as a kid.


I did when in high school. Helped me get my FFA State Farmer degree.
Showing our age, eh? B a ck when the FFA stood for something.
"Why are we here?"
To practice brotherhood, honor agricultural opportunities and responsibilities, and develop those qualities of leadership which an FFA member should possess.
My faith in you is well founded.

(Although the 1980s Alabama version was "...honor rural opportunities..." and "...leadership which a Future Farmer should...")
That's how it started out for me, but changed in about 9th grade. Caused a major rift, too. Are we ashamed to be farmers who come from the countryside? Lot of people left.
I suppose they thought they were enlarging the tent.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:53 am

Well, it's tough to say. On the one hand they enlarged the tent, on the other they reduced the membership. There was plenty of elbow room in the tent during high school.

I never planned on farming, but I wasn't ashamed of being rural, either. Hear that Fred? No shame.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12383
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by tuttle » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:00 pm

Grammordon wrote:For all you interested parties with no land. The secret is you can't fence in a bee. The hive will cover miles of territory whether you like it or not. Check out "Beekeeping for Dummies" excellent book for beginners. I will add some cities require that you register your hive

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I guess my concern about land had less to do with the bees and more to do with my children. There likely isn't room enough fer the both of em...
Image

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 20796
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by JimVH » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:01 pm

A few coworkers and I used to go out to lunch a lot. The drive usually took us by a large pasture with several hives in the middle. One day, as we passed the hives, one of the girls said, "For the life of me, I can't figure out why they keep those file cabinets in that field. Wouldn't the papers get all messed-up?"
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8672
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:24 pm

tuttle wrote:I'd love to try my hand at beekeeping. I don't know much about it, but I'm assuming we probably don't have the land for it. But my brother likely does.

Have you all seen this!?

https://vimeo.com/127851841
I didn't watch the entire video but I get the idea. I wish Dad would have had this when I was growing up.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27712
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by coco » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Del wrote:...I would have to convert a chunk of my lawn to clover or flowering prairie plants.
If it means that I don't have to cut grass, I would devote the whole thing.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33411
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by UncleBob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:28 pm

tuttle wrote:
Grammordon wrote:For all you interested parties with no land. The secret is you can't fence in a bee. The hive will cover miles of territory whether you like it or not. Check out "Beekeeping for Dummies" excellent book for beginners. I will add some cities require that you register your hive

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I guess my concern about land had less to do with the bees and more to do with my children. There likely isn't room enough fer the both of em...
Are your children allergic to bee venom?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12383
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by tuttle » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:32 pm

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Grammordon wrote:For all you interested parties with no land. The secret is you can't fence in a bee. The hive will cover miles of territory whether you like it or not. Check out "Beekeeping for Dummies" excellent book for beginners. I will add some cities require that you register your hive

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I guess my concern about land had less to do with the bees and more to do with my children. There likely isn't room enough fer the both of em...
Are your children allergic to bee venom?
Not that I know of. But they are ornery...
Image

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26436
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:36 pm

► Show Spoiler
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33411
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by UncleBob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:37 pm

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Grammordon wrote:For all you interested parties with no land. The secret is you can't fence in a bee. The hive will cover miles of territory whether you like it or not. Check out "Beekeeping for Dummies" excellent book for beginners. I will add some cities require that you register your hive

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I guess my concern about land had less to do with the bees and more to do with my children. There likely isn't room enough fer the both of em...
Are your children allergic to bee venom?
Not that I know of. But they are ornery...
Yeah kids. I remember messing with a nest of yellow jackets. I put a glass soda bottle over the hole to their nest and stomped the ground to watch them fly around inside. They finally dug around the bottle neck and came billowing out in a vengeful cloud. I was 7 and learned to respect the yellow jacket. I also learned that I could jump off a 10 ft "cliff" into the swimming hole in Geode Glenn.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11315
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by Gabriel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:51 pm

We don't keep bees ourselves, but the Ranch does and my backdoor neighbors do. Bees can be finicky and require a fair amount of care. Everything does, so no worries, but don't expect to put up a beehive and suddenly have honey flowing into a jar. For anyone looking in to it, check your local ordinances too, and be prepared to deal with objections from the neighbors (if you're in town). My neighbors have several hives going and a couple folks complained and the city actually wrote an anti-bee keeping ordinance into the bylaws and then served notice that they were out of compliance...

My neighbors challenged it, we went up and testified on their behalf and the ordinance was dropped. Sure, we have a lot of honeybees around our apple tree and other flowers and such, but the kids have been taught to leave them alone and we've had no incidents.

It was kind of amusing to see it finally sink in to everyone when my neighbor pointed out to the town council that they were trying to ban bees in city limits... uh... you can ban the keeping of hives, but you can't ban an insect from your town...
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12383
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by tuttle » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:56 pm

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Grammordon wrote:For all you interested parties with no land. The secret is you can't fence in a bee. The hive will cover miles of territory whether you like it or not. Check out "Beekeeping for Dummies" excellent book for beginners. I will add some cities require that you register your hive

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I guess my concern about land had less to do with the bees and more to do with my children. There likely isn't room enough fer the both of em...
Are your children allergic to bee venom?
Not that I know of. But they are ornery...
Yeah kids. I remember messing with a nest of yellow jackets. I put a glass soda bottle over the hole to their nest and stomped the ground to watch them fly around inside. They finally dug around the bottle neck and came billowing out in a vengeful cloud. I was 7 and learned to respect the yellow jacket. I also learned that I could jump off a 10 ft "cliff" into the swimming hole in Geode Glenn.
:lol:

When I was around 7 my dad discovered a nest of yellow jackets and had the awesome idea of setting them on fire with gasoline. And it was awesome. But the next morning I vividly recall him heading outside to check the nest (he burned them at night). He headed out in his skivvies (we lived in the country...what neighbors?). I sat down with a bowl of cereal and the next thing I saw through the window(s) was dad running 35 mph in his underwear across the back yard. Apparently he didn't get em all...
Image

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26436
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:59 pm

► Show Spoiler
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:31 pm

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Grammordon wrote:For all you interested parties with no land. The secret is you can't fence in a bee. The hive will cover miles of territory whether you like it or not. Check out "Beekeeping for Dummies" excellent book for beginners. I will add some cities require that you register your hive

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I guess my concern about land had less to do with the bees and more to do with my children. There likely isn't room enough fer the both of em...
Are your children allergic to bee venom?
Not that I know of. But they are ornery...
Yeah kids. I remember messing with a nest of yellow jackets. I put a glass soda bottle over the hole to their nest and stomped the ground to watch them fly around inside. They finally dug around the bottle neck and came billowing out in a vengeful cloud. I was 7 and learned to respect the yellow jacket. I also learned that I could jump off a 10 ft "cliff" into the swimming hole in Geode Glenn.
:lol:

When I was around 7 my dad discovered a nest of yellow jackets and had the awesome idea of setting them on fire with gasoline. And it was awesome. But the next morning I vividly recall him heading outside to check the nest (he burned them at night). He headed out in his skivvies (we lived in the country...what neighbors?). I sat down with a bowl of cereal and the next thing I saw through the window(s) was dad running 35 mph in his underwear across the back yard. Apparently he didn't get em all...
Well, that explains the high level of intellectual discourse around these parts. :chili: I haven't laughed this hard in a while.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Grammordon
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by Grammordon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:01 pm

I love when bee stories turn to yellow jacket stories. Like apples and oranges. Yeah bees sting, but they don't hunt you down like the evil yellow jacket(i hate yellow jacket for all reasons listed here). Bees are pretty calm considering. I've only been stung twice in the past two years. Both at the same time because I made a mistake. Honey bees only sting as a last ditch effort, when they sting they die.

P.s. If you place a small amount of gas in a cut plastic cup near the entrance to a yellow jacket nest they die from the fumes. No need to burn

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

User avatar
Grammordon
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Re: Any CPS Beekeepers

Post by Grammordon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Also like any other creature you raise, make the kids part of it and they'll learn to respect them. Only about 1 percent of the population is allergic to honey bee venom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Reply