Cleaning Pipes. What Is The Best Method?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Cleaning Pipes. What Is The Best Method?

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:07 pm

I am giving pipe smoking another turn, having tried it a few times back during my working contractor days.

I like the idea of a "sweet" pipe for the most enjoyment, and have seen some products advertised as "Pipe Sweeteners," but am wondering what some of you do to help keep your pipe clean and sweet.

I have heard that using an almost 100% proof grain alcohol like Ever Clear is good. Anyone use that, and if so, what has been your experience?

And then there are the Eriksen Keystones; some kind of small absorbent volcanic tiny stones some put in before packing a bowlful.

I have seen the briar/ nylon Eriksen pipe that actually has a chamber beneath the bowl where these volcanic tiny stones are placed, absorbing what? Just moisture? Or also tars/ etc?

I read of someone who has been using these volcanic tiny stones and he wrote that his pipe cleaners now come out dry & black, like with pure carbon?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Cleaning Pipes. What Is The Best Method?

Post by hugodrax » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:18 pm

The only system I've found to truly work is the Falcon pipe. Easily cleaned and no add on products to buy. The Peterson system works but also doesn't in the sense that cleaning is difficult.

You'll find a million different answers to your question. I used pipe cleaners and bourbon and focused on cleanliness, not immaculate condition. Others have very complicated systems. Find the one that suits your personal style.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:25 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:26 pm

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:38 pm

I find that dropping a hot pipe into a cool puddle of sprinkler water does wonders.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Put it on the windshield and go through the car wash

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:17 pm

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:18 pm

UncleBob wrote:Image
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:28 pm

I know you boys is having fun (see, I can speak southern), but wouldn't it be nice to encourage a seemingly normal new member that his posts asking pipe related questions would be answered? After he's been around a week or so we can go back to shenanigans. Unless,of course, this is another one of Bob's ArmyO'Sock.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:43 pm

hugodrax wrote:The only system I've found to truly work is the Falcon pipe. Easily cleaned and no add on products to buy.
Thank you, Hugo.

I spent some time researching this Falcon pipe, and it blew my mind. Revolutionary, yet it has been out for such a long time; yet there are some new versions of it. As Lao Tzu has said, "The farther I go, the less I know." And that is becoming ever more true with my small steps into pipe smoking
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:I know you boys is having fun (see, I can speak southern), but wouldn't it be nice to encourage a seemingly normal new member that his posts asking pipe related questions would be answered? After he's been around a week or so we can go back to shenanigans. Unless,of course, this is another one of Bob's ArmyO'Sock.
How did YOU get outta the drawer?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:55 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:I know you boys is having fun (see, I can speak southern), but wouldn't it be nice to encourage a seemingly normal new member that his posts asking pipe related questions would be answered? After he's been around a week or so we can go back to shenanigans. Unless,of course, this is another one of Bob's ArmyO'Sock.
How did YOU get outta the drawer?
Lol. Stuck to your wife's sweater. You should really consider fabric softener.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:32 pm

I prefer dirty pipes. Really. They taste better.

A "sweet" pipe does not sound all that good to me. A rich pipe does. And dirty pipes are rich with flavor and ghosts of the tobaccos that have been in them before. You might dedicate pipes to certain blends if you go the dirty pipe route. Say, if you've got a pipe that smokes lat blends like a champ then keep lat blends in it a and smoke away. The cake and character it builds for lat blends will get better and better. Same with Virginias, etc. I even like to have ghosts of strong tobaccos, like Ennerdale Flake, mixing with something like Prince Albert so I can smoke those in the same pipe and not care.

Having said all that, you can try the professor's pipe treatment. I've really only done it in order to tell myself I've sanitized an acquired estate pipe. Basically just fill the bowl with salt, add alcohol and let it dry till it forms a nasty crust in the bowl. Dump and swab with a pipe cleaner. I've heard it said that grain alcohol like Everclear and whatnot works the best and that you should avoid isopropyl alcohol. I've used both and I'm still alive. It seems to me we had a pedantic chemist on here at one time that said it was okay to use isopropyl alcohol.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:35 pm

You guys break me up. Rolling on the floor, laughing.

I like this style of bantering.

But, now,... back to the topic at hand, about cleaning pipes, and, as Hugo offered up, different types of pipe technologies that make for cooler and dryer smokes. And that is what I am looking for,... for I enjoy aromatic,... particularly Captain Black white label

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Thank you for your post, Cleon.

I've read about using salt & alcohol, especially Ever Clear. So that helps confirm.

Have you used this procedure, Cleon?

If so, did it remove the "cake" as well?

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Goose55 wrote:You guys break me up. Rolling on the floor, laughing.

But, now,... back to the topic at hand, about cleaning pipes, and, as Hugo offered up, different types of pipe technologies that make for cooler and dryer smokes. And that is what I am looking for,... for I enjoy aromatic,... particularly Captain Black white label
Have you met TheImpudent yet?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Jocose wrote:

No, I have not met TheImpudent. Should I be afraid? Should I be very afraid?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:08 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Jocose wrote:

No, I have not met TheImpudent. Should I be afraid? Should I be very afraid?
Yes. And don't type his name again. He is like Candyman.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:25 pm

Based on what feedback I got on this thread, in my quest for a cleaner smoke, what I have done today is order 3 different affordable pipes that seem to me, to have good engineering to make smoking aromatic tobaccos like Captain Black,.... cooler, drier and more mellow:

An Eriksen Keystone; a pipe with a chamber under the bowl, with small absorbent volcanic stones

A Carey Magic Inch briar pipe

A Falcon aluminum stem pipe, on the same principle as the Erikson, yet with an additional feature--a metal stem design, to conduct heat away (recommended by a CPS member).

We shall see which of these three stand out.

As far as the expensive new Savinelli that I spoke of in another thread, it is being returned for a refund. The briar at the base of the chamber was only 1/8 inch thick.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:41 pm

The alcohol treatment works well, but I prefer cotton balls instead of salt. It's easier and, I believe, works just as well.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams