Cleaning Pipes. What Is The Best Method?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Re: Cleaning Pipes. What Is The Best Method?

Post by MrPiper » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:46 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:02 pm

I've never used cotton balls. But I have used salt soaked with alcohol. I would like to try some Bourbon to see if some of the flavor would linger in the bowl.

Here's my question to all you jokesters.......Do you think two days of drying out after even swabbing with Bourbon on alcohol or whatever you use....is two days long enough to dry out? Should it be longer? What says "Dr. Pipe Know-it-all" have to say?
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:57 pm

Alcohol evaporates very fast. I give it an overnight but I'm a weird Californian, and in California, weird is a renewable resource :pipe2:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:49 am

Hovannes wrote:What I do:
Avoid smoking tobacco with lots of goop
Wait until the pipe cools.
Remove the ash.
Run a pipe cleaners up the mouthpiece.
Remove the stem
Take the pipe cleaner out of the mouthpiece without pulling it back
Run the cleanest end of the pipe cleaner through the airway into the bowl a few time (double the pipe cleaner if it is a large airway or if you want to root around the well on, say, a Peterson System)
Make a "U" to fit the inside of the bowl and run it around the bowl
Let it rest.

Every month or so, after cleaning, take a pipe cleaner and shot glass and swab the innards with liquor.
Drink whats left in the shot glass.
Let the pipe dry.

Italian pipes get Galiano or Amaretto
Irish pipes get Jameson's
French pipes get Brandy
Greek pipes get Metaxa
Danish pipes get Aquavit
Spanish pipes get Sherry
German pipes get Jagermeister
English pipes get rum :oops:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:31 am

Automatic dish washing machine. Can't be beat.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:33 am

DepartedLight wrote:Automatic dish washing machine. Can't be beat.
Top rack only!!
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:26 am

Hey Walt, I don't know if this has been said, but be careful not to get alcohol on the outside of your ebonite stems. It can cause them to oxidize pretty fast.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:45 pm

JimVH wrote:Hey Walt, I don't know if this has been said, but be careful not to get alcohol on the outside of your ebonite stems. It can cause them to oxidize pretty fast.
GOOD point, JimVH. I should have thought of this and posted it early on. Very important.
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:Wow. What a wealth of great responses/ answers. I am going to come back here often, and study through the posts and add a lot of this info to my pipe document file.
I'd like you to enlarge upon the notion that you opened with:
Goose55 wrote:I like the idea of a "sweet" pipe for the most enjoyment, and have seen some products advertised as "Pipe Sweeteners," but am wondering what some of you do to help keep your pipe clean and sweet.
There is a theory about pipe smoking in that statement concerning the effect of smoking and what it does to the pipe that motivates your notion of "clean smoke", "sweet smoke" and it even extends into the system pipes that you just purchased. I think you can't help but notice that many of us do not share the same idea of pipe smoking, which may be why you're getting advice that looks contrary to your desires. In your opening post there is an assumption that we are dealing with the same notion as you. It's not exclusively true, though some here might be doing the same thing as you. It's worth some discussion.

So why not enlarge upon your idea? Let's see what is behind it.
I'm not sure if I understand your suggestion correctly, but I will try and enlarge upon this idea of pipe "sweetness," or a "clean smoke."

When I created this thread, I did not know there were these easy to clean "system" pipes, like Falcon. I was looking at whether "pipe sweeteners" sold online, or Ever Clear were better at achieving my fledgling (an now perhaps erroneous) concept of "sweetness." To me, at the time of creating this thread I just deduced that if pipe and tobacco outlets sold "pipe sweeteners," then pipe sweetness must be something to be desired.

There's a lot of people, with a lot of experience here, in pipe smoking. And I am a student. I'm all ears. My venture into getting a Falcon pipe I think demonstrates that I do very much want to learn and am very glad I found this Forum.

And sticking with the adjective "sweet," I think, has a lot to do with the limited experience I have in tobaccos smoked,... being mainly aromatic. It's like I have been baptized by Captain Black white label Cavendish, from past memories of smelling others smoking it. Perhaps the Falcon will give me a better smoke with Captain Black, with the Falcon's "Humidome" feature of condensation and reducing most of the steam, and tongue bite.

And I do very much like the Falcon's easy to clean features, along with those removable Briar bowls.

This is all I have to say at this point as I don't want to ramble on. I will soon be reporting on what I find in the Falcon
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:Wow. What a wealth of great responses/ answers. I am going to come back here often, and study through the posts and add a lot of this info to my pipe document file.
Goose55 wrote:I like the idea of a "sweet" pipe for the most enjoyment, and have seen some products advertised as "Pipe Sweeteners," but am wondering what some of you do to help keep your pipe clean and sweet.
There is a theory about pipe smoking in that statement concerning the effect of smoking and what it does to the pipe that motivates your notion of "clean smoke", "sweet smoke" and it even extends into the system pipes that you just purchased. I think you can't help but notice that many of us do not share the same idea of pipe smoking, which may be why you're getting advice that looks contrary to your desires. In your opening post there is an assumption that we are dealing with the same notion as you. It's not exclusively true, though some here might be doing the same thing as you. It's worth some discussion.

I'm not sure if I understand your suggestion correctly, but I will try and enlarge upon this idea of pipe "sweetness," or a "clean smoke."

When I created this thread, I did not know there were these easy to clean "system" pipes, like Falcon. I was looking at whether "pipe sweeteners" sold online, or Ever Clear were better at achieving my fledgling (an now perhaps erroneous) concept of "sweetness." To me, at the time of creating this thread I just deduced that if pipe and tobacco outlets sold "pipe sweeteners," then pipe sweetness must be something to be desired.

There's a lot of people, with a lot of experience here, in pipe smoking. And I am a student. I'm all ears. My venture into getting a Falcon pipe I think demonstrates that I do very much want to learn and am very glad I found this Forum.

And sticking with the adjective "sweet," I think, has a lot to do with the limited experience I have in tobaccos smoked,... being mainly aromatic. It's like I have been baptized by Captain Black white label Cavendish, from past memories of smelling others smoking it. Perhaps the Falcon will give me a better smoke with Captain Black, with the Falcon's "Humidome" feature of condensation and reducing most of the steam, and tongue bite.

And I do very much like the Falcon's easy to clean features, along with those removable Briar bowls.

This is all I have to say at this point as I don't want to ramble on. I will soon be reporting on what I find in the Falcon
I'm not acquainted with a Falcon pipe. I'm wondering if my impression of his comments about the Falcon "reducing most of the steam,(?) and tongue bite," is he is contributing a wet smoke (?) and tongue bite to the type of pipe, rather than the tobacco and how agressive he is puffing, rather than a relaxed gentle draw?
Soli Deo Gloria!

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:54 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Ok, I think I understand. Your mouth and tongue are irritated and it's because smoke is an irritant to sensitive mouth tissues. Yours are new to this and they're sensitive. And you've diagnosed it as steam and dirty pipe. It's probably not though it might be that you're burning it hot to keep it alight for more than 5 sec. You're new and looking for an engineering solution is not unreasonable. We all did something like this. But it won't change anything. The irritation is nature's way of saying "don't do that, it hurts". Most of us here are too damn stupid to give up early and so we persist. And yes, the tongue bite and mouth irritation stops with more experience. We pack it better and we learn. There is a skill here. It also stays alight longer. Anyway we move on to something that bites worse. And there are a number of steps in this ziggurat. What you'll notice next is that it doesn't taste the way you expected and it never does. Sorry. Partly it's because we desensitize our tongues and partly it's because we're on the wrong side of the burn. All that intriguing scent is really for bystanders. We get the bite.

Pipe smoking is a hunt for flavour and it is about controlling burn and getting some satisfaction. It does come with experience. The nickel will drop. You're at step 0. Keep going but don't do it every day. Try not to buy every damn gimmick that promises relief. They don't deliver. This is something you persist through. The gimmicks don't replace nor obviate the skill.

If you haven't already back off to half bowls and pack it fairly loose so it stays lit easier and then sip. It will come. Your tobacco is fairly bite free so I'm not sure what to suggest there. You might try a pouch of Prince Albert because it burns easier with all the Burley.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks, Rusty. Good counsel there and it is well received.

Say, a friend here has so generously sent me a couple older pipes and I have EverClear, iodized and kosher salt, and cotton balls.

I am assuming any excess cake in the bowl should first be removed?

1) What does the salt do?

2) What does the EverClear do?

3) How long should it soak?

4) Should the shank part of the Briar be cleaned this way, as well?

Some say forget the salt and pour EverClear over a cotton ball stuffed in the bowl is better. ??
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri May 20, 2016 2:00 pm

I tend to use pipe cleaners myself.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Cleon wrote:A "sweet" pipe does not sound all that good to me. A rich pipe does. And dirty pipes are rich with flavor

Cleon wrote:you can try the professor's pipe treatment. I've really only done it in order to tell myself I've sanitized an acquired estate pipe. Basically just fill the bowl with salt, add alcohol and let it dry till it forms a nasty crust in the bowl. Dump and swab with a pipe cleaner.
Cleon, the EverClear and salt treatment I take it is for a pipe restoration.

You say you like "dirty pipes." By this, I am assuming you are speaking of the "good" built up cake in the chamber, right? You aren't speaking of letting the bottom of the chamber and airway soak in, and clog with tar are you?

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Fri May 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Goose55 wrote:Thanks, Rusty. Good counsel there and it is well received.

Say, a friend here has so generously sent me a couple older pipes and I have EverClear, iodized and kosher salt, and cotton balls.

I am assuming any excess cake in the bowl should first be removed?

1) What does the salt do?

2) What does the EverClear do?

3) How long should it soak?

4) Should the shank part of the Briar be cleaned this way, as well?

Some say forget the salt and pour EverClear over a cotton ball stuffed in the bowl is better. ??
Just soak the salt and everclear overnight. It removes funky smells and tastes. The stem does not cake and should NOT be treated. Put a cleaner through the shank and then put the salt and everclear into the bowl. And I cannot stress this enough, do not attempt this treatment with meerschaums or cobs.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri May 20, 2016 5:04 pm

purge with fire
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri May 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Cleon wrote:A "sweet" pipe does not sound all that good to me. A rich pipe does. And dirty pipes are rich with flavor

Cleon wrote:you can try the professor's pipe treatment. I've really only done it in order to tell myself I've sanitized an acquired estate pipe. Basically just fill the bowl with salt, add alcohol and let it dry till it forms a nasty crust in the bowl. Dump and swab with a pipe cleaner.

You say you like "dirty pipes." By this, I am assuming you are speaking of the "good" built up cake in the chamber, right? You aren't speaking of letting the bottom of the chamber and airway soak in, and clog with tar are you?
You don't think Rusty and I are trying to lead you down the garden path, do you? There's a bit of fundamental filth you need. That's why I'm chain smoking this new Peterson. It's why you dedicate pipes...you want the filth, too.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri May 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Goose55 wrote:

Ooooh you make it sound so good! :D What do you think he means by "dirty pipe"?

But some of us burn to the bottom of the chamber ... arrrgh! no tobacco goes to waste... so there is less tar at the bottom of the chamber. But we compensate with a basic "toothpaste" tube of tar in the airway... If you do it right you'll find that used pipe cleaners are good black markers. Plus they can be used as a torch, in a pinch, because they will sustain a flame.

Just run a dry pipe cleaner through them now and again and dig out the swamp that remains after you perpetually leave dottle.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:01 pm

Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Ooooh you make it sound so good! :D What do you think he means by "dirty pipe"?

But some of us burn to the bottom of the chamber ... arrrgh! no tobacco goes to waste... so there is less tar at the bottom of the chamber. But we compensate with a basic "toothpaste" tube of tar in the airway... If you do it right you'll find that used pipe cleaners are good black markers. Plus they can be used as a torch, in a pinch, because they will sustain a flame.

Just run a dry pipe cleaner through them now and again and dig out the swamp that remains after you perpetually leave dottle.
Sure is thought provoking. I am almost at the point of.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgcxGFmYyPs

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sun May 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I'm not acquainted with a Falcon pipe. I'm wondering if my impression of his comments about the Falcon "reducing most of the steam,(?) and tongue bite," is he is contributing a wet smoke (?) and tongue bite to the type of pipe, rather than the tobacco and how agressive he is puffing, rather than a relaxed gentle draw?

Could I request at least one response to my question here?
Soli Deo Gloria!