Pipe memories

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Pipe memories

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:06 am

I think all pipers have made memories where a pipe comes into play.

I remember as a young man one rainy morning in a big Western port city, coming across a tobacconist by chance and going into the shop out of curiosity. The smell of the tobaccos and eventually leaving with a new briar (a natty little straight bulldog and a complimentary pouch of "My Own Blend #2" IIRC)

I remember when smoking was banned at the college where I lectured, putting most of my pipes carefully away in a shoe box in the closet. I kept one pipe out (a Peterson 301) and a tin of MacBaren's Latakia Blend and for the next eight years it was the only pipe I smoked (rarely) until I left the job.

Who among us has walked on a nearly deserted beach one cool overcast morning with a pipe and an old camera loaded with B&W film, relishing a fine morning for a pipe and photography?

I remember maybe 20 years ago I thought of returning to the pipe. I mail ordered a new Savinelli and took it on a family camping trip to Yosemite Valley. I dragged a lawn chair out on a beach alongside the Merced (it was October and the water was low) and enjoyed just being there while my children played in the sand.

What are some of your pipe smoking memories?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Pipe memories

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:36 am

Receiving my first pipe (a Comoy's bulldog) as a gift from my son around 20 years ago and sitting in the library of our then new home smoking my first bowl with him as he taught me how to pack it, light it, tamp it and enjoy it.

So many of my memories involve sitting on a riverbank in a pair of waders with fishing buddies or clients or other guides at the end of the day, always in a beautiful place, often passing around a pewter flask I have as we caught each other up on how our day had gone.

More recently, joining colleagues and students for conversation in the center of a truly breathtaking campus (spread across a high mesa overlooking the San Juan Mountains). And this will be funny--stepping outside of myself and realizing that I've come to be pretty close to the stereotype of the white-haired old professor (who could not now imagine himself as anything else) near tears of joy for how truly blessed I have been.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:21 am

Neat thread. Im usually smoking if I can be smoking, so it's hard for me to separate happy memories from happy pipe smoking memories. There are, however, times when the combination of wonderful experience plus well-stoked and drawing pipe have lead me to just thank God for letting me see the wonder of His creation. Watching my children learn new things or (extremely rarely) interact perfectly come most to mind. Sometimes you get to see their world through their eyes, just for a moment, and it is always amazing. All hope and all trust and all joy are the hallmarks of a happy kid, with none of that cynicism or fear or notions that happiness will not last like I have. Purely in the moment in a way no adult can ever hope to be.

Sometimes, I hope most that the scent of my tobacco wafting from someone else's pipe will trigger one of those happy memories in my kids long after I'm dead and buried. I know they can pick me put by smell now.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:48 pm

I have a few that stick out. When I was 17, I would smoke Sir Walter Raliegh aro in a Dr. Grabow every evening as I watched the sunset. Another one is buying a Savinelli Roma with a lucite stem as a gift to myself for making the Dean's list.

One of my first memories of my dad was him smoking a pipe when I was three. He stopped for a while and started smoking again when I was 10 for about a year. He preferred billards in funky colors - orange, blue, and white.
It takes a smart eye feller to say, "I feller smart".

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:13 pm

I first pipe w. 2x7 was life a changing memory. I accosted a group of Koreans; pretty much strong arming them into taking our pic next to a huge iron sculpture of Jackie Robinson's head. And that's not even the weird part of the experience.
Off Topic
p.s. Though of doing a yut room knockoff: Pipe mammaries

But then said, naw.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:44 am

Bar tender, give me one of whatever DL is drinking :wink:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Not exactly a pipe memory as it is a tobacco memory. When I was 12, I went to a tobacco auction. The auctioneer would lead the buyers through the maze of bales saying "gibberish, gibberish, sold to American!". It was a pretty unique experience.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Fainn wrote:Not exactly a pipe memory as it is a tobacco memory. When I was 12, I went to a tobacco auction. The auctioneer would lead the buyers through the maze of bales saying "gibberish, gibberish, sold to American!". It was a pretty unique experience.
LSMFT?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fainn wrote:Not exactly a pipe memory as it is a tobacco memory. When I was 12, I went to a tobacco auction. The auctioneer would lead the buyers through the maze of bales saying "gibberish, gibberish, sold to American!". It was a pretty unique experience.
LSMFT?
I remember a Kools rep, but I don't remember the rest

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Fainn wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
LSMFT?
I remember a Kools rep, but I don't remember the rest
LSMFT=Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Yet another double danged post!

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:53 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:13 pm
I first pipe w. 2x7 was life a changing memory. I accosted a group of Koreans; pretty much strong arming them into taking our pic next to a huge iron sculpture of Jackie Robinson's head. And that's not even the weird part of the experience.
Off Topic
p.s. Though of doing a yut room knockoff: Pipe mammaries

But then said, naw.
I recalled this just now. Hilariousness.
DL Jake

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 am

Neat thread, Hov. Thanks.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:00 pm

My dad has smoked a pipe as long as I can remember. I was 14 and my brother was 10 for this memory. My dad had just finished his pipe at Thanksgiving dinner and knocked his ashes into a Coors Light can at the table. The dining room had cleared out but the table hadn’t been cleared yet. My brother snuck back into the dining room and was downing the dregs of the wine glasses and beer cans. His last can to check was my fathers and he ended up with a mouthful of ashes. He came sheepishly into the next room coughing up a storm and everyone in my family started cracking up after seeing the black smudges on his face.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:58 pm

I have this mid 1980's Dunhill 51033 Cumberland. It was gifted to me by a brother not on this forum. Unsmoked and in the original box. Even had the Dunhill tube. I was having a hellova time breaking it in. Many weeks and months later it still draws a serious vacuum. I don't recall the tobacco I had that afternoon. I do recall the time and place.

I was in some northern Maryland state park with a lake (there's like 870 of those in MD). Had both pups with me. This was a usual haunt for the pups. We meandered here and there as I really was digging the pipe finally breaking.

As the puppy walk ended and I was packing them up to head home my wife called me.

Her father had just passed away.

I knew the news was imminent. It was still sad.

Every time I have that pipe I have fond memories of the man that gave it to me and my father-in-law.
DL Jake