Is this a dunhill fake?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Black dog
Congregation
Congregation

Is this a dunhill fake?

Post by Black dog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:06 pm

From the stamping, this appears to be an early dunhill. However I see no patent number.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/142233239813

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: Is this a dunhill fake?

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:37 pm

There are early Dunhill pipes without a patent number and without a manufacture date code. Both of which appear to be missing with this one. Those facts do not preclude it being an early Dunhill pipe. The circled A is consistent with an early Dunhill. But I'm not sure that "Made in England" is consistent with an early Dunhill. Generally Loring probably has more info that helps one decide.... http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/Note ... nhills.htm
Loring has more articles on early Dunhills.
Pipephil might be useful too ... http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/index.html
Is there a shape 123 among the three digit shape numbers? And does it correspond to the shape shown?
I see other Dunhill Bent Billiards in the number range around 123 eg 120, 121, 130 and it is conceivable that 123 also belongs in that set.

Fake Dunhill pipes are probably much rarer than real Dunhill pipes over any period. Hence a perfectly reasonable and interesting collection could be fake Dunhill pipes. There are some really spectacular pipes among the possibles too. Again Loring has done a lot of work in identifying these too.

But many of us are in fact collecting Fake Grabows and Fake Fake Grabows. Now that's a tough class.

Do you have a pipe collection? Perhaps you can show us pics. There are a couple of threads with member pipe collections.
Here is the first - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=40316
Earlier collection thread - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22801
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Black dog
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Black dog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:48 pm

After some research I found that shape number 1 2 3 is a straight stem pipe not a full bent pipe. Also I still believe that a pipe with this nomenclature should have a patent number. I have a small collection of 18 pipes including 8 dunhill's and seven comoys. I'm new to the Forum and as of yet have not figured out how to post pictures.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Black dog wrote:After some research I found that shape number 1 2 3 is a straight stem pipe not a full bent pipe. Also I still believe that a pipe with this nomenclature should have a patent number. I have a small collection of 18 pipes including 8 dunhill's and seven comoys. I'm new to the Forum and as of yet have not figured out how to post pictures.

Can you share the source of the shape 123 picture or other detail?

The CPS site does host picture files. You use whatever picture hosting site that you choose and then embed the URL for the JPG within image tags.
ie "Image". That will display the picture on CPS in your post. For example, this is the image of the auction pipe that is the subject of this thread. Note the url within the image tags.

You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Black dog
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Black dog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:16 pm

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-old-DUN ... iid%253A14

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:18 pm

Rusty wrote:
Black dog wrote:After some research I found that shape number 1 2 3 is a straight stem pipe not a full bent pipe. Also I still believe that a pipe with this nomenclature should have a patent number. I have a small collection of 18 pipes including 8 dunhill's and seven comoys. I'm new to the Forum and as of yet have not figured out how to post pictures.

Can you share the source of the shape 123 picture or other detail?

The CPS site does host picture files. You use whatever picture hosting site that you choose and then embed the URL for the JPG within image tags.
ie "Image". That will display the picture on CPS in your post. For example, this is the image of the auction pipe that is the subject of this thread. Note the url within the image tags.

It could be the angle of the photo but the stem on that pipe looks off. It looks too fat at the button for Dunhill.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:35 pm

'sup, dawg?

Dunhill or not, that's one ugly ass pipe.

If I wasn't on my "smart" phone, I'd copy it and put it in the ugly ass pipe thread that's floating around here somewhere.

It's only saving grace is that it's not an Oom Paul.
Last edited by DepartedLight on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Black dog wrote:http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-old-DUN ... iid%253A14

You've illustrated the challenge quite well. One has to believe that the box really goes with the pipe. Because we are NOT shown the stamping on the pipe. That's really questionable on auction sites. And the 635 may indicate that it could be either shape in the box.

Here's a different example that also suggest that a different straight is shape 123:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/esta ... t_id=28459

I suspect that you can get the fake Dunhill on the auction site for $50. Everybody else seems to think it is a fake too.
It's a nice starter for your fake Dunhill collection. There was another fellow here that showed us a Bruyere coloured pipe that was labeled Shell. That was a beauty too. He insisted that it was not a fake. We all laughed.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light