Sweet N special

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
AugustBurnsRed
Congregation
Congregation

Sweet N special

Post by AugustBurnsRed » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:57 pm

Soo, I was on my porch smoking a bowl of Frog Morton "on the town". I love the sweet, smooth, subtle smoke of "on the town". That being said, this is really the first year I've opened up to English's. I love the "balkin" "whiteknight", but the frog is so sweet and yummy.

My question is this. What is your favorite sweet, smooth English?

Btw, this is my first tin of "on the town" and I'm about half way through.... I'll Def be ordering another 5 tins to cellar next order... couple of weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: Sweet N special

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:10 am

ahhhhhhhhhhhh English.

Blue Mountain
Froggy Cellar
BH Balkan
Bill Bailey's Balkan
Dan's Gordon Pym

Enjoy your walk through Varientals!
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:58 am

Most of the English & Balkan Latakia mixtures aren't sweet. They tend to be spicy exotic and a bit on the savory side. One of the surprising sweet ones was GLP's Bohemian Scandal. That would be my choice. One isn't expecting sweet out of something billed as Balkan. I think Scandal too shared a dose of Basma with your Frog On The Town. So you might hunt for blends with Basma. Bufflehead Redhead Decoy was a big Basma English and it too was quite sweet. But Scandal & Redhead Decoy are long gone. You need a time machine.

I don't envy you. We're facing the prospect of possibly losing a lot of blends next year. And you're at the beginning of the journey and can't know which nice blends you might have met in the future. On The Town should remain available so you probably shouldn't use up money putting it away in the cellar. There are many other blends that you've yet to meet that really do need cellar space because they likely will not be commercially available anymore. Gone away is the very best reason to put away some stock in your cellar.

It's kind of tough predicting which ones you need to save when you haven't met them yet. We should be able talk about this and come with some kind of strategy.

It is it really better to have loved and lost than never meeting them? Tough question.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

AugustBurnsRed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AugustBurnsRed » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks for your response Rusty. I definitely agree that most aren't sweet. That's what really caught my eye about this one. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the more "true" English's, but wow, the sweetness of this one really caught my attention. I'd like to see how it taste with some age on it. I will certainly have to give the GLP's Bohemian Scandal a try. Nice to know the about the Basma as well. I wasn't sure what component gave the blend the sweetness, but I love it!

The frog is like a desert tobacco to me... has some weight to it and some good sweetness. Kinda like cake I guess... and I love cake. Haha.

I'll definitely be searching for more of these sweet blends or those contains Basma.

Thanks for that life lesson Rusty!

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:24 pm

AugustBurnsRed wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:45 pm
Thanks for your response Rusty. I definitely agree that most aren't sweet. That's what really caught my eye about this one. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the more "true" English's, but wow, the sweetness of this one really caught my attention. I'd like to see how it taste with some age on it. I will certainly have to give the GLP's Bohemian Scandal a try. Nice to know the about the Basma as well. I wasn't sure what component gave the blend the sweetness, but I love it!
It's not less "true". There is a lot of variation in these mixtures. This is one of them. Scandal is over the hill now according to reports. Before that, but after it left the market, it was hyped and very expensive. Would you pay $75 for a 2 oz tin?
Age isn't a benefit for these blends. A few years isn't going to matter so much but in a decade the balance has changed a lot, they've lost flavour too, what remains is much less articulate and more like mud. It's like putting your dinner aside to age for a few weeks. It will certainly cool it down so that it doesn't burn your tongue but as a way of improving dinner, it's a failure. And so is tobacco aging. The Latakia mixtures are at their best within a year of manufacturing. Cellar because it's gone and there isn't another better alternative to enjoy the blend at all anymore.
AugustBurnsRed wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:45 pm
The frog is like a desert tobacco to me... has some weight to it and some good sweetness. Kinda like cake I guess... and I love cake. Haha.

I'll definitely be searching for more of these sweet blends or those contains Basma.

Thanks for that life lesson Rusty!

Find Josh's thread about blends new after 2007. Browse that list on TR and other sites and see if there is anything that interests you. That's the list that will be lost. 19 months and the landscape probably has a lot missing.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

AugustBurnsRed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AugustBurnsRed » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:11 pm

Hey Rusty, I did a brief search for that thread but couldn't find anything. Any possibility you could link me to it?

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:25 pm

AugustBurnsRed wrote: Hey Rusty, I did a brief search for that thread but couldn't find anything. Any possibility you could link me to it?

CPS: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 Onward

It was hidden in plain sight, pinned up as the first thread, in the Tobacco Forum. I must admit I first tried searching for it too but couldn't remember any unique keywords that might be useful. Dumb desperation resulted in staring at the forum thread list. Ah Ha! There it is. :lol: Somebody was thinking.

This thread should be in the tobacco forum too.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

AugustBurnsRed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AugustBurnsRed » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks alot Rusty! I really appreciate it.

I must admit, I find it difficult searching for stuff using this Tapatalk app on my phone. I'm constantly looking(or trying anyways) for subjects/topics of interest but find it a little difficult as I am not very familiar with the app.

Anyways, thanks again!

Mike

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:53 am

Looking forward to your notes on the new blends you'll be trying out.

Get you some English, son. It's yummy.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound