FDA Delays Deeming Regulations

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

FDA Delays Deeming Regulations

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 6:27 am

Washington Post article. Uncle Bob is slipping.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... story.html
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Re: FDA Delays Deeming Regulations

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed May 03, 2017 7:20 am

Vapers. Now there's a group worthy of capital punishment if I've ever seen one.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am

That's a fancy website.... almost as fancy as the ones those kids who are suing Trump and the whitehouse over Climate and future concerns have.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 am

gaining_age wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am
That's a fancy website.... almost as fancy as the ones those kids who are suing Trump and the whitehouse over Climate and future concerns have.
Reference website: https://www.youthvgov.org/#intro
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 am

gaining_age wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 am
gaining_age wrote:
Che diavolo gli voi? What do you think is the topic of conversation?

I'm sorry, but almost every time I've tried to discuss pipes or tobacco related subjects with you dolts, I either get some half-retarded response or blatantly condescended to by Rusty. How are a group of pipe smokers so thoroughly uninterested in pipes and or tobacco?

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 am
How are a group of pipe smokers so thoroughly uninterested in pipes and or tobacco?
You know the answer.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 am

UncleBob wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 am
hugodrax wrote:
How are a group of pipe smokers so thoroughly uninterested in pipes and or tobacco?
You know the answer.
Too busy condemning everybody else to hell and advocating nuclear war? Spare time taken up by volunteering to be God's personal vengificator? Trump sycophancy is a full time avocation?

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 am

hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

I'm sorry, but almost every time I've tried to discuss pipes or tobacco related subjects with you dolts, I either get some half-retarded response or blatantly condescended to by Rusty. How are a group of pipe smokers so thoroughly uninterested in pipes and or tobacco?
I wasn't sure that deserved its own thread (the fancy web page). I did look at the link....

Discussion point...

According to FDA officials, the agency is postponing any deadline established under the rule — which extends the FDA’s regulatory authority to all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, cigars, and hookah and pipe tobacco — set for May 10 or later.

As a result, as of next week, cigar manufacturers will not have to submit their plans for putting addictiveness warnings on their products. Information on what ingredients are contained in e-cigarettes and cigars will not have to be submitted starting Aug. 8, and interstate commerce of products including the label of “light,” “low” or “mild” will not be banned as of that date.

I wonder what will happen next...
The 6s of 1st John:

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 10:53 am

gaining_age wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 am
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

I wasn't sure that deserved its own thread (the fancy web page). I did look at the link....

Discussion point...

According to FDA officials, the agency is postponing any deadline established under the rule — which extends the FDA’s regulatory authority to all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, cigars, and hookah and pipe tobacco — set for May 10 or later.

As a result, as of next week, cigar manufacturers will not have to submit their plans for putting addictiveness warnings on their products. Information on what ingredients are contained in e-cigarettes and cigars will not have to be submitted starting Aug. 8, and interstate commerce of products including the label of “light,” “low” or “mild” will not be banned as of that date.

Too late to pretend you care. Go talk God with Thunktank.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed May 03, 2017 10:57 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:53 am
gaining_age wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 am
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

Discussion point...

Too late to pretend you care. Go talk God with Thunktank.
Got a burr this morning?

Yeah, I confess-- I don't smoke the pipe so much these days so my care level is lower on the pipe posts. I do have some interest in what the regulations are. I found the reading of regulations fascinating in regard to samples and the tent for the Chicago Pipe Show.
The 6s of 1st John:

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed May 03, 2017 10:59 am

hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

No, Rusty loves you fella, he just makes the mistake of engaging you the same way you engage others, for example here. Don't be offended. GA is not a smoker so you can't expect the same engagement.
I was fascinated & even hopeful by this development. Thanks for posting.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed May 03, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 am
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
You know the answer.
Too busy condemning everybody else to hell and advocating nuclear war? Spare time taken up by volunteering to be God's personal vengificator? Trump sycophancy is a full time avocation?
gaining_age wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:57 am

Yeah, I confess-- I don't smoke the pipe so much these days so my care level is lower on the pipe posts.
Boom.

:chili:

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Wed May 03, 2017 11:02 am

UncleBob wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 am
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
You know the answer.
gaining_age wrote:

Yeah, I confess-- I don't smoke the pipe so much these days so my care level is lower on the pipe posts.
Boom.

Is this the council of hats speaking that I should be banished because my smoke intake is low?

Well... <zederated>
The 6s of 1st John:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 03, 2017 11:05 am

gaining_age wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:02 am
UncleBob wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 am
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
You know the answer.
gaining_age wrote:

Boom.

Is this the council of hats speaking that I should be banished because my smoke intake is low?

Well... <zederated>
No, but there may be some correlation between the decrease of pipe tobacco consumption and the decrease of pipe smoking threads. I don't know if it is a causal correlation but it would be an interesting study.

Hmm...

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 11:09 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:59 am
hugodrax wrote:
gaining_age wrote:
gaining_age wrote:

No, Rusty loves you fella, he just makes the mistake of engaging you the same way you engage others, for example here. Don't be offended. GA is not a smoker so you can't expect the same engagement.
I was fascinated & even hopeful by this development. Thanks for posting.
I laugh every time, sir--no offense taken, no matter how hard you try. But I was insulting everybody else, how could I let the only guy who really talks about it off the hook? Fair and balanced without the sexual harassment, that's my motto.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 am

In hopes of restoring your faith in pipe smoking humanity, hugodrax . . .
This is very good news for us pipe smokers. Thank you for posting the link; otherwise, I'd have missed It.

I will not regret the past year of tobacco and pipe purchasing frenzy stimulated by the fear that our choices would be limited and that we Americans, like the Canadians and Aussies before us, would find ourselves severely constrained in the enjoyment of our pipes, taxed beyond reason and regulated beyond sanity.

I now have many dozens of tins of Virginias ageing, handfuls of others waiting for the pipe and many pounds of bulk sealed up in jars. Formerly, I bought tobacco pretty much as I smoked it, never having more than a few tins or small jars on hand at any time.

I'm happy that the implementation of the deeming regulation has been postponed and optimistic that the many pending lawsuits by industry trade groups will kill the new rules altogether.

Happier, still, that pending semi-retirement now finds me with pipes aplenty and much tobacco "in the bank."
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed May 03, 2017 11:51 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 am
I will not regret the past year of tobacco and pipe purchasing frenzy stimulated by the fear that our choices would be limited and that we Americans, like the Canadians and Aussies before us, would find ourselves severely constrained in the enjoyment of our pipes, taxed beyond reason and regulated beyond sanity.
I honestly think the FDA deeming reg is worse than taxes, bans, and defacing the tins with warning labels. Those three are all the tobacco control measures that we have ever experienced. And this is a recipe that is driven by the WHO FCTC treaty. Even they haven't advocated the FDA action. The FDA deeming reg very likely eliminates products & effectively prevents any new products. The FDA goes after the supply chain as opposed to providing a disincentive for consumer purchase of a product that persists. The US is one of the major sources for blends pipe smokers worldwide so the threat of product removal and preventing any new products in the US market is the most severe tobacco control measure so far. Congratulations.

Indefinite delays would be appreciated.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Wed May 03, 2017 12:43 pm

This is good news.

I was a bit torqued by choices the writer made in reporting the rules that are in effect (prohibition on underage sales and free samples) and those being postponed (warning labels and ingredient disclosures). As if no reasonable person could possibly be against those "common sense" rules or restrictions. As with most regulations, I'm against those that impact me, like having fewer choices of pipe tobacco, and ambivalent about those that don't, like using American steel in a federally subsidized oil pipeline. But really, the future is clear when it comes to tobacco. It will be prohibited completely within 10 years. The prohibition will go like most other prohibition attempts - that is badly - and my children's generation will realize it was a horrible overstep and dial it back to reasonable restrictions like we currently have on alcohol.

EDIT: And get over yourself Hugh. Getting upset because your post didn't get the immediate reaction you desired or expected says more about you than your fellow CPS'ers. Imagine what a wreck Hovannes would be if he took that position.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 12:56 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 12:43 pm
This is good news.

I was a bit torqued by choices the writer made in reporting the rules that are in effect (prohibition on underage sales and free samples) and those being postponed (warning labels and ingredient disclosures). As if no reasonable person could possibly be against those "common sense" rules or restrictions. As with most regulations, I'm against those that impact me, like having fewer choices of pipe tobacco, and ambivalent about those that don't, like using American steel in a federally subsidized oil pipeline. But really, the future is clear when it comes to tobacco. It will be prohibited completely within 10 years. The prohibition will go like most other prohibition attempts - that is badly - and my children's generation will realize it was a horrible overstep and dial it back to reasonable restrictions like we currently have on alcohol.

EDIT: And get over yourself Hugh. Getting upset because your post didn't get the immediate reaction you desired or expected says more about you than your fellow CPS'ers. Imagine what a wreck Hovannes would be if he took that position.
Hey, Fred? Get a sense of humor. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't be here. You might notice that you've never actually spoken to me. I'd bet if you went back and read the post in another tone of voice, you might take it differently. Or you could ask Bob why he was chuckling.

You can go back to chewing your own leg off now. When I'm actually annoyed, ill be sure to tell you. Up until that point, probably better to assume I'm not.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed May 03, 2017 1:47 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Del, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee.