Deployment Pipes

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Chaps_iii
Congregation
Congregation

Deployment Pipes

Post by Chaps_iii » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 am

I know I dont post much on here, so please forgive me.

Anyways, Im packing up for my next deployment. Ive always been known as the cigar Chaplain - I have plenty of support who send me cigars to hand out.
Well, since picking up the pipe I want to share this as well with my Soldiers. I've bought a few bags of cobs from MM and am packing some bags of tobacco to bring. But I am wondering if there is any group like "Cigars for Warriors" who I can link up with to get pipes and tobacco to our guys?
Chaps

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
-Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Deployment Pipes

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:53 am

Chaps_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 am
I know I dont post much on here, so please forgive me.

Anyways, Im packing up for my next deployment. Ive always been known as the cigar Chaplain - I have plenty of support who send me cigars to hand out.
Well, since picking up the pipe I want to share this as well with my Soldiers. I've bought a few bags of cobs from MM and am packing some bags of tobacco to bring. But I am wondering if there is any group like "Cigars for Warriors" who I can link up with to get pipes and tobacco to our guys?
Not that I know of, but would you mind pming me your APO? I'm sure the boys here will put something together.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Chaps_iii
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Chaps_iii » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:05 am

Dont have an APO yet. We are still packing up. Next week we load our shipping containers to head out. After Christmas we do our final field exercise and then fly out in February

I can keep you all posted if you like
Chaps

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:09 am

Chaps_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:05 am
Dont have an APO yet. We are still packing up. Next week we load our shipping containers to head out. After Christmas we do our final field exercise and then fly out in February

Please do. I like putting together little packages and I know others here do, too.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:35 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:09 am
Chaps_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:05 am

Please do. I like putting together little packages and I know others here do, too.
Mmmm... February!

Feb 20 is International Pipe Smoking Day, and many of us will be making a big online-purchase to take advantage of the deals offered.

We could plan ahead and buy some extra pipes or tins or supplies to contribute for your mission of care and comfort for our deployed troops. We could gather the gifts and send them to you when you have settled in, about the time that deployment morale needs a little boost.

Good plan?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Chaps_iii
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Chaps_iii » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:56 am

Sounds like a great plan!

A little info: my battalion (I am the BN Chaplain) will be deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan across 7 different sites. Ill have the ability to travel to all of these and as a result will be able to reach more than just my battalion.

My tough box currently has 6 unopened boxes of cigars and those bags of cobs. Im going to get some sealed bags of bulk tobacco also, and this will be shipped ahead of time
Chaps

Del

Post by Del » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Chaps_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:56 am
What can I say? I am known far and wide and deep for my great ideas about stuff.

Let's get some measure on this. How big can we go, without overwhelming you?

Let's start with a count of cobs you have on hand. How many do you have? Is it enough? Cobs are great for guys who just want to dabble and try out pipe smoking.

Some guys could donate some estate briars (formerly owned and loved) to the pack. These clean up and serve well. I was gifted with a pillowcase full of "grandad's" old pipes, by some guy who didn't know what else to do with them.... I don't need them!

Others will kick in a new basket briar ($20 to $40). How many briars would fill out your pack?

Lots of guys will kick in tins of tobacco. You have 120 cigars in your kit.... Would two dozen tins do the trick?

Then add some tampers and pipe cleaners. I don't know if we should ship butane lighters, or if those are readily available at PX.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Chaps_iii
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Chaps_iii » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:31 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:00 pm
Chaps_iii wrote:
What can I say? I am known far and wide and deep for my great ideas about stuff.

Let's start with a count of cobs you have on hand. How many do you have? Is it enough? Cobs are great for guys who just want to dabble and try out pipe smoking.

Some guys could donate some estate briars (formerly owned and loved) to the pack. These clean up and serve well. I was gifted with a pillowcase full of "grandad's" old pipes, by some guy who didn't know what else to do with them.... I don't need them!

Others will kick in a new basket briar ($20 to $40). How many briars would fill out your pack?

Lots of guys will kick in tins of tobacco. You have 120 cigars in your kit.... Would two dozen tins do the trick?

Then add some tampers and pipe cleaners. I don't know if we should ship butane lighters, or if those are readily available at PX.

Lets put it this way - last deployment I handed out close to $20K in cigars :D

Cobs - I bought two of the 10 count bags from MM to ship ahead in our CONEX

Old pipes would be great - I have no problem even cleaning them up

Tins of tobacco would be great too so I can hand out a full tin to the guys that get the bug and take a good pipe.

Butane pipe lighters are fine - we can get butane on the fobs (Soldiers Smoke!!), Love zippos but in the dry desert they are not that feasible, I leave mine behind and bring a torch for my cigars and will pack a few bics for my pipes

Once I get established I can post my APO. If anyone wants to send stuff now that I can load into our shipping container let me know and Ill pm my address. I have a tough box that I can put stuff into and keep safe for the trip.

Once we get there Ill start a thread and update it with pics. I am also a member of Cigar Asylum and that is what I did with those guys on the last deployment
Chaps

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Chaps_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:31 pm
Del wrote:
Chaps_iii wrote:

Tins of tobacco would be great too so I can hand out a full tin to the guys that get the bug and take a good pipe.

Butane pipe lighters are fine - we can get butane on the fobs (Soldiers Smoke!!), Love zippos but in the dry desert they are not that feasible, I leave mine behind and bring a torch for my cigars and will pack a few bics for my pipes

Once I get established I can post my APO. If anyone wants to send stuff now that I can load into our shipping container let me know and Ill pm my address. I have a tough box that I can put stuff into and keep safe for the trip.

Once we get there Ill start a thread and update it with pics. I am also a member of Cigar Asylum and that is what I did with those guys on the last deployment
Please accept this as meant in Christian explanation and not in any accusatory way. Many of us have served and many of us want to help. Unfortunately, the Devil is loose and the last great scammer to hit this forum was a man who pretended to be an impoverished disabled veteran. I still believe he was a veteran. But he was a scammer nonetheless.

It's not fair that my skepticism extends here. I have no doubt that you are a chaplain. But there's a reason I asked for your APO. Id ask you to extend a base address to anyone asking for it now.

And forgive me, brother.

Chaps_iii
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Chaps_iii » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:27 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:17 pm
Chaps_iii wrote:
Del wrote:
Chaps_iii wrote:

Please accept this as meant in Christian explanation and not in any accusatory way. Many of us have served and many of us want to help. Unfortunately, the Devil is loose and the last great scammer to hit this forum was a man who pretended to be an impoverished disabled veteran. I still believe he was a veteran. But he was a scammer nonetheless.

It's not fair that my skepticism extends here. I have no doubt that you are a chaplain. But there's a reason I asked for your APO. Id ask you to extend a base address to anyone asking for it now.

And forgive me, brother.

No problem, I completely understand. Ive been scammed as well.

Our orders are getting cut soon, I can share a copy with an admin as well as a copy of my ID which now indicates that Im a Chaplain. I can use my office address for now - after Christmas I would suggest holding off until I get in country.

Which is also why I was hoping there was an established group like CfW that fid this and could do the vetting
Chaps

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Chaps_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:27 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Chaps_iii wrote:
Del wrote:
Chaps_iii wrote:

And forgive me, brother.

Our orders are getting cut soon, I can share a copy with an admin as well as a copy of my ID which now indicates that Im a Chaplain. I can use my office address for now - after Christmas I would suggest holding off until I get in country.

Which is also why I was hoping there was an established group like CfW that fid this and could do the vetting
Would be nice. I don't think we need a Military ID. Your Office Address, C/O Chaplain X, works for us, brother. Thanks for your understanding. We'll take care of your young men. Thank you for taking care of them as well.

Chaps_iii
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Chaps_iii » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:40 pm

Ill send my address
Last edited by Chaps_iii on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaps

Del

Post by Del » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:43 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:34 pm
Chaps_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:27 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Chaps_iii wrote:
Del wrote:
Chaps_iii wrote:

And forgive me, brother.

Would be nice. I don't think we need a Military ID. Your Office Address, C/O Chaplain X, works for us, brother. Thanks for your understanding. We'll take care of your young men. Thank you for taking care of them as well.
And don't forget that a lot of us will be placing online orders in February. IPSD (Internation Pipe Smokers Day) is a real thing, and a big deal with the online dealers. Perfect timing for you. You will be freshly established at the deployment and making relationships with all the guys just as a big box of pipe swag arrives from the fellowship at CPS!

Del

Post by Del » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Chaps_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:40 pm
Personal address
You don't want this on a public forum for the whole internet to see. Edit/delete immediately.

Send a PM to hugodrax, and he will administrate/delegate for us.

Chaps_iii
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Chaps_iii » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Chaps_iii wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:40 pm
Personal address
You don't want this on a public forum for the whole internet to see. Edit/delete immediately.

Send a PM to hugodrax, and he will administrate/delegate for us.
Done
Chaps

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:35 pm

Mucho interested.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:41 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:35 pm
Mucho interested.
Me, too. We have his base address. Let's get this going. Pipes, tobacco, socks, mints, gum, sundries. Let's set em up right.

Thanks, CAPT. God bless.

Chaps_iii
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Chaps_iii » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:35 am

If you could keep it small for now and wait until I post our APO address that would be great!

Like a tin or bag or two or a pipe or lighter.... things to take the edge off of our first time deployers. And I can fit in my tough box with my ministry gear

We will be over there for at least 9 months and the USPS flat rate boxes dont cost any extra to come to us. Once we have been there for a month or so I can let you all know what other things are needed.

Like I mentioned earlier - I will start another thread and send you all pictures of our guys enjoying your love!,
Chaps

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:35 pm
Mucho interested.

Chaps_iii
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Chaps_iii » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Flying out

I also have our APO address. PM me and Ill send it.
Chaps