McClelland Officially Going Out of Business...

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: McClelland Officially Going Out of Business...

Post by coco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:21 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:15 pm
JMG wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:05 pm
Announced tonight by multiple sources, main of which my good friend and owner of The Country Squire who has spoken directly with Mike and Mary. They will be shutting the doors of McClelland soon to come. Sad, sad day.
This still is so unreal. Makers of some of the best Virginia blends ever made going out of business because of a Carolina crop failure? So many options appear to me. Sell the business and trademark. Find similar soil and climate to grow red Virginias.
It is likely that no one wants to buy the business and learn their techniques for "fermenting" tobacco. Regarding growing Virginias, you are assuming that they have money, personnel, and abilities that they probably don't have. Remember, this is a very small business.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:25 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks for a great run. That’s all I can say.
^^^this^^^

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 am

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:25 am
hugodrax wrote:

^^^this^^^
Yup
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:15 am

I am thankful to our dearly departed Rusty for pointing to a few McCl blends that I was at least able to get a bit of it into my cellar. But w/o being able to replenish it, dang this sucks.

I thought I had been able to get another 11 tins of McClelland Pebblecut from Iwan Ries but in speaking to them this morning about why it was never shipped they said McCl tobacco had been flying off the shelves so fast they weren't able to update their system

Maybe some other blender will rise to the occasion and recreate some of their blends.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:57 am

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:15 pm
JMG wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:05 pm
Announced tonight by multiple sources, main of which my good friend and owner of The Country Squire who has spoken directly with Mike and Mary. They will be shutting the doors of McClelland soon to come. Sad, sad day.
This still is so unreal. Makers of some of the best Virginia blends ever made going out of business because of a Carolina crop failure? So many options appear to me. Sell the business and trademark. Find similar soil and climate to grow red Virginias.
That looks like two options. I’ll never be able to substantiate it, but to me it looks like the gentlemanly option. The writing is on the wall for American tobacco producers. Rather than wither and die, they went out on top.

Those were among the facts I considered when I suggested a month or so ago that they would close shop. The owners are old enough to retire and it would make no sense for them to use their personal savings to keep the business afloat through the Virginia drought. The local and federal governments are hostile towards their business and restrict them in any way possible. I imagine that banks and credit card companies will soon stop transacting with tobacco companies they way some currently do with legal gun and pot sellers. I suppose the only thing going for the company is that the pipe tobacco market is actually pretty stable right now. But I reckon most younger smokers see pipe smoking as a nostalgic nod to their grandfathers era, and the coming generations will have no such tie to pipe smoking, so the long view (20 years out) is not good at all for the pipe tobacco market. Nope, McClleland sales will never be more than they were last year and I don't blame the McNiel's one bit for closing shop.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:58 am

I didn’t look at any of the Dunhill’s tobacco because they were going out of business and I thught why find something I really like and then never be able to get it again. But I have been reading a lot on the Frog Morton Cellar and was just about to place my order for 100g tin. Now what do I do? Grab one and if I like it I am SOL for finding it in the future or just move on to something that is being produced more?
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 am

+JMJ+

At first blush, it seems that if one could get the Chinese to geek out over Tobakulture, the art would be continued. There's prolly not a single regional tea variety/process/aesthetic over the last 1000 years which they've not preserved, much the same as viticulture is preserved in Europe.

All this, of course, assumes that the mainlines of Chinese culture will be unaffected by the nation's current ascendency and will continue to unfold organically. Looking around, such may be a very tenuous assumption.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:58 am
I didn’t look at any of the Dunhill’s tobacco because they were going out of business and I thught why find something I really like and then never be able to get it again. But I have been reading a lot on the Frog Morton Cellar and was just about to place my order for 100g tin. Now what do I do? Grab one and if I like it I am SOL for finding it in the future or just move on to something that is being produced more?
What you do is grab two, send one to me and I'll share in your pain.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:41 am

...and thus my largest tobacco order EVER at Smoking Pipes has been placed.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:04 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 am
rgcurrey wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:58 am
What you do is grab two, send one to me and I'll share in your pain.
Grab three.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:04 am

Skip wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:41 am
Give us the inside. What did you get?
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:39 am

Skip wrote:
I placed an order yesterday with them but it wasn't my largest, and they were out of what I really wanted..
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Jester wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:04 am
Skip wrote:
Twenty 100g tins of FMOTT. It's the blend that made me fall in love with my pipe. I basically blew most of my annual tobacco budget, but it was with the wife's blessing.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 am
+JMJ+

At first blush, it seems that if one could get the Chinese to geek out over Tobakulture, the art would be continued. There's prolly not a single regional tea variety/process/aesthetic over the last 1000 years which they've not preserved, much the same as viticulture is preserved in Europe.

All this, of course, assumes that the mainlines of Chinese culture will be unaffected by the nation's current ascendency and will continue to unfold organically. Looking around, such may be a very tenuous assumption.
This is a fantastic point that I had not considered. The drawback though, is that it seems the only imports to China are luxury items. Mercedes Benze's, Swiss chocolate, Mexican tequila, and such that only the wealthy and perhaps upper middle classes can afford. Commodities such as tobacco are most likely covered by 'in house' agencies.

As for the Frog, you'll surely see some P&C blends by Russ O that mimic your favs that are no longer available. Of course you'll have to get past smoking blends named 'Toad Mutton Late Evening in the City' and 'Toad Mutton Far Side of the Small Lake'.
Last edited by FredS on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:13 pm

Skip wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:01 pm
Jester wrote:
Skip wrote:
Twenty 100g tins of FMOTT. It's the blend that made me fall in love with my pipe. I basically blew most of my annual tobacco budget, but it was with the wife's blessing.
Great choice! I cracked my only 100g tin of FMOTT on the 20th. I have been struggling all week with my decision of opening it but I have been enjoying it a lot.

I have two other kinds of McClelland in my cellar. No quantity just two tins. I will struggle with the decision to smoke them when the time comes but it will be pointless to die with them on my shelf or sell them in twenty years with minimal profit.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Skip wrote:
Jester wrote:
Skip wrote:
How did you get away with 20 tins?!?! When I went to order there was a ten tin limit. Naturally I ordered ten, and a bunch of Cellar, Old Church, and a few random tins of Pal O' Mine because I seem to recall liking it. Definitely my most expensive SP order ever.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:16 pm

Skip wrote:
Jester wrote:
Skip wrote:
Woah!

We've implemented a strict budget this year. I don't forsee me making any grab-em-fast-purchases :(
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Skip

Post by Skip » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:14 pm
Skip wrote:
Jester wrote:
Skip wrote:
How did you get away with 20 tins?!?! When I went to order there was a ten tin limit. Naturally I ordered ten, and a bunch of Cellar, Old Church, and a few random tins of Pal O' Mine because I seem to recall liking it. Definitely my most expensive SP order ever.
The limit was 25/customer/day when I ordered. I keep the FMOTT for "special" smokes, sticking with 1Q for a daily - not that I've been smoking a lot lately - so I decided twenty will keep me occupied for a while, especially since I'll cellar it for even rarer special smokes.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:14 pm
Skip wrote:
Jester wrote:
Skip wrote:
Town Topic and Best of Show are my two McClelland favs and P&C is out of both.

elimtaft
Anything but broccoli
Anything but broccoli

Post by elimtaft » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:56 pm

That's a real bummer. I'm mostly an English blend guy, and Frog Morton is my 2nd favorite English blend. I know many people for whom that is their #1 favorite English blend.
A Word Is Worth A Thousand Pictures

Dort wo Du einen Pfeifenraucher siehst, findest Du einen guten Freund.

Broccoli over mushrooms.