My first estate pipes!

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

My first estate pipes!

Post by Craig Thompson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:30 pm

For years I have read about the great estate pipes that folks are finding. In the past few years I have been to numerous yard sales & flea markets & antique stores & such but have only seen a few pipes. None of those few pipes were worth buying and cleaning up.

This past Saturday we were passing a little antique store that we have driven past hundreds of times but just never stopped in. On a whim I pulled into the parking lot and we went in. I asked the owner if he had any pipes. He said only a few then he pulled out a cigar box with about 6 pipes and another box with maybe 10. $5 each he said. Here is what I grabbed.
The top one is a Middleton in very good condition. Not smoked much.
The second one is a Kaywoodie 96. The stem is oxidized some but the wood finish is in excellent condition. The stem is screw on and does not clock correctly when screwed in. Is there a way of fixing that?
The third is a GBD, 867, London England. Again the stem is oxidized but the wood is in very good condition.
The fourth is a Peterson 314, Standard System I believe. (I am learning as I research these pipes.) And again, stem is oxidized but wood very good condition.

All of these pipes have rather nice grain.

I asked about cleaning in a previous thread today so I hope to get these cleaned up in the next few days. This is quite exciting after several frustrating years of looking.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: My first estate pipes!

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Craig Thompson wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:30 pm
For years I have read about the great estate pipes that folks are finding. In the past few years I have been to numerous yard sales & flea markets & antique stores & such but have only seen a few pipes. None of those few pipes were worth buying and cleaning up.

This past Saturday we were passing a little antique store that we have driven past hundreds of times but just never stopped in. On a whim I pulled into the parking lot and we went in. I asked the owner if he had any pipes. He said only a few then he pulled out a cigar box with about 6 pipes and another box with maybe 10. $5 each he said. Here is what I grabbed.
The second one is a Kaywoodie 96. The stem is oxidized some but the wood finish is in excellent condition. The stem is screw on and does not clock correctly when screwed in. Is there a way of fixing that?
The third is a GBD, 867, London England. Again the stem is oxidized but the wood is in very good condition.
The fourth is a Peterson 314, Standard System I believe. (I am learning as I research these pipes.) And again, stem is oxidized but wood very good condition.

I asked about cleaning in a previous thread today so I hope to get these cleaned up in the next few days. This is quite exciting after several frustrating years of looking.
You did extraordinarily well.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 pm
Craig Thompson wrote:

Yes, you did. Prices so low it is borderline criminal. Why just look at the grain on that Peterson.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Well done! You did very well!
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 pm

ryland wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:15 pm
Well done! You did very well!
I'll say. Well done. That GBD hit me right in the covet.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Very well indeed. I've picked up $5 KWs before, but not much else, deal-wise.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:50 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 pm
Craig Thompson wrote:

Yes, you did. Prices so low it is borderline criminal. Why just look at the grain on that Peterson.
And the grain on the Kaywoodie too.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Craig Thompson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:37 am

I just realized that this thread probably should have been started in the Pipe Rack section. So mods feel free to move it.

I am quite pleased with the grain on all of these pipes. Even the Middleton, which I presume would be considered a low end pipe. When cleaned and waxed I expect they will be rather attractive.

About the Kawoodie stem, how do I adjust the clocked angle. Can the stinger be screwed in to adjust the angular position of the stem?

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 am

A fine catch, indeed.

Give a man a pipe and he will smoke it today. Teach him the way of PAD and he will have pipes for his whole life. - Pipeverbs 3:9
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 am

I can't help with the KW, but I will add my "Hell Ya, those were great deals" to the thread. You sure made up for the lack of finding pipes in the past!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:33 am

Craig Thompson wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:37 am
I just realized that this thread probably should have been started in the Pipe Rack section. So mods feel free to move it.

I am quite pleased with the grain on all of these pipes. Even the Middleton, which I presume would be considered a low end pipe. When cleaned and waxed I expect they will be rather attractive.

About the Kawoodie stem, how do I adjust the clocked angle. Can the stinger be screwed in to adjust the angular position of the stem?
If you find a better way to adjust that KW, other than a pair of plyers and lots of patience, please let me know.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:33 am
Craig Thompson wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:37 am

If you find a better way to adjust that KW, other than a pair of plyers and lots of patience, please let me know.
Just warm up the stem before you go a twisting.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:13 pm

That Middleton is extremely short. I wonder if the stem has been replaced?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Craig Thompson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 pm

There were two more Middletons in the box: both very short, both textured (not smooth), one straight, one bent.

It looks like they were built very short. I am very new to piping and just guessing though.

The stems on the Middleton & GBD were so tight I was afraid they would break if I twisted hard enough. I put them in the freezer for 20 minutes and they came loose rather easily.

Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Craig Thompson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm

I have been researching the Kaywoodie stinger misalignment situation. The KW stinger is called the Synchro-Stem. This one is the three hole version. It seems the way to correct this misalignment is to heat the stinger until the adhesive softens and then turn it to the correct position. That seems a bit scary.

Another "fix" is to put some shim washers between the shank and stem. The metal ferrule on the shank is 14mm diameter. I use metric because I did not find any shim washers the correct outside diameter in inches, only in metric.

Gotta think about risking damaging it trying to heat and twist the stinger or put shim washers that might not look good.

Hmmm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Craig Thompson wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm
I have been researching the Kaywoodie stinger misalignment situation. The KW stinger is called the Synchro-Stem. This one is the three hole version. It seems the way to correct this misalignment is to heat the stinger until the adhesive softens and then turn it to the correct position. That seems a bit scary.

Another "fix" is to put some shim washers between the shank and stem. The metal ferrule on the shank is 14mm diameter. I use metric because I did not find any shim washers the correct outside diameter in inches, only in metric.

Gotta think about risking damaging it trying to heat and twist the stinger or put shim washers that might not look good.

Hmmm
Where do you live? There might just be an Elmer around to help.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Craig Thompson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 pm

What is an Elmer?

I live in SE Pennsylvania.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Craig Thompson wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 pm
What is an Elmer?

Sorry. That is a ham radio term for a mentor. What I mean is that maybe there is a collector/old coot nearby that can show you a few tricks or tips.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Craig Thompson wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm
. . .Gotta think about risking damaging it trying to heat and twist the stinger or put shim washers that might not look good.

Hmmm
Will you smoke it the way it is?

If not then try fixing it. It's a $5.00 pipe FFS.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:34 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:05 pm
Craig Thompson wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 pm
What is an Elmer?

Sorry. That is a ham radio term for a mentor. What I mean is that maybe there is a collector/old coot nearby that can show you a few tricks or tips.
This could be its own thread. "Who was/is your Elmer?". Mine was a retired chief from the Navy, who was a co-worker at my first place of employment right out of college. Gave me one of his hand-made pipes, some Three Star Blue, and I was on my way. I wish I still had that pipe.