Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 am

Somebody here is probably named Elmer.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Re: My first estate pipes!

Post by joegoat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 am

I really like that Kaywoodie! You scored big on theses. My two best finds to date have been a Peterson 312 system in great shape for fiver and a Sasieni four dot for ten.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:35 am

Craig Thompson wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm
I have been researching the Kaywoodie stinger misalignment situation. The KW stinger is called the Synchro-Stem. This one is the three hole version. It seems the way to correct this misalignment is to heat the stinger until the adhesive softens and then turn it to the correct position. That seems a bit scary.

Another "fix" is to put some shim washers between the shank and stem. The metal ferrule on the shank is 14mm diameter. I use metric because I did not find any shim washers the correct outside diameter in inches, only in metric.

Gotta think about risking damaging it trying to heat and twist the stinger or put shim washers that might not look good.

Hmmm
I've had pipes with stem alignment issues. Mostly older Grawbow Adjustomatics, but I'm sure a Kaywoodie has been in the mix. I first try cleaning the threads and the mating surfaces of the stem to shank joint. Sometimes there is enough schmutz to cause it to not screw in all the way. Your example might be beyond this being the cause. I'd still clean it good before doing the adjustment.
I have never used heat when I twisted the stems with threaded tenons straight. The ones that I have adjusted have turned with relative ease. If you do opt for a bit of heat I'd avoid a heat gun or flame. Vulcanite moves easily with heat and doesn't necessarily return to it's original form when it cools. A hair dryer might give you a better heat range.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 am
Somebody here is probably named Elmer.
Cool.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Craig Thompson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:47 am

I attempted to align the stinger in the stem last night. I heated the stem gently then heated the stinger a bit hotter. The stinger was then clamped tightly in a vise with plywood pads. I tightened the vise as tight as I dared but the stinger just slipped in the wood pads when I turned the stem.

I was getting tired so I stopped before I damaged it.

Maybe more heat? Does anyone know if the end of the stinger that is embedded in the stem threaded? Or smooth or textured?

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:15 am

I just use a pair of needle nose pliers.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:42 am

Craig Thompson wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:47 am
I attempted to align the stinger in the stem last night. I heated the stem gently then heated the stinger a bit hotter. The stinger was then clamped tightly in a vise with plywood pads. I tightened the vise as tight as I dared but the stinger just slipped in the wood pads when I turned the stem.

Maybe more heat? Does anyone know if the end of the stinger that is embedded in the stem threaded? Or smooth or textured?
I've always had the stem in the pipe when I tweaked them. Again, I've done mostly Dr. Grabow Adjustomatics. I found the two Kaywoodies I've adjusted. Examine your stinger/tenon. There should be a lip on it above the threads that will bottom out against the threads in the mortise. This will keep your tennon from screwing deeper into the mortise as you twist in the tightening direction. I used only my hands and avoided breaking out the tool box. A bit of heat would probably help.
As for the mounting of the stinger to the stem I'm not sure. I've never had one out. I doubt it's threaded though. My guess would be that it is knurled and press fitted into the stem. That, or it has grooves cut in it to hold adhesive.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:51 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:42 am
Craig Thompson wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:47 am

I've always had the stem in the pipe when I tweaked them. Again, I've done mostly Dr. Grabow Adjustomatics. I found the two Kaywoodies I've adjusted. Examine your stinger/tenon. There should be a lip on it above the threads that will bottom out against the threads in the mortise. This will keep your tennon from screwing deeper into the mortise as you twist in the tightening direction. I used only my hands and avoided breaking out the tool box. A bit of heat would probably help.
As for the mounting of the stinger to the stem I'm not sure. I've never had one out. I doubt it's threaded though. My guess would be that it is knurled and press fitted into the stem. That, or it has grooves cut in it to hold adhesive.
https://rebornpipes.com/tag/replacing-a ... erpool-67/
Ok, This may help you. Scroll down about half way down this page and you'll see what this fella did to fix a Kaywoodie stinger/tennon. Looks like both parts are threaded on his pipe. This could have changed on newer or older pipes. I'm by no means a Kaywoodie expert. You might become one by the end of this project.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 am

joegoat wrote:
Examine your stinger/tenon. There should be a lip on it above the threads that will bottom out against the threads in the mortise. This will keep your tennon from screwing deeper into the mortise as you twist in the tightening direction.
The problem with Craigs pipe is that the stem screws in too far. If he has to turn it in the tightening direction he'll have to turn it somewhere around 350 degrees. I've never tried to fix one like this. I've been lucky in that the few I've bought didn't go in far enough so I was able to sand a skosh of the end of the shank so I could could turn the stem a few more degrees before it seated.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:02 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 am
joegoat wrote:
Examine your stinger/tenon. There should be a lip on it above the threads that will bottom out against the threads in the mortise. This will keep your tennon from screwing deeper into the mortise as you twist in the tightening direction.
The problem with Craigs pipe is that the stem screws in too far. If he has to turn it in the tightening direction he'll have to turn it somewhere around 350 degrees. I've never tried to fix one like this. I've been lucky in that the few I've bought didn't go in far enough so I was able to sand a skosh of the end of the shank so I could could turn the stem a few more degrees before it seated.
I have fixed one, just one...it turned too far...I am guessing it happened when the pipe was hot after smoking. I removed the stem and wrapped the pipe in plastic wrap and then submerged the bit end in boiling water and let it sit...then with a needle nose plier I was able to back up the fitting in the pipe. took the plastic off and installed the stem and lined it up and let it cool. No fuss no muss. Gave the pipe to a bird hunting buddy and he still smokes it.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Craig Thompson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you all for this info. I have done a bit of searching and found a few descriptions of Kaywoodie repairs with photos. None that showed the stinger and receiver insert removed though. Now I know that both have threads into the pipe and stem.

I might try Bloodhound's boiling technique. I am really liking this pipe so I do not want to mess it up.

Will keep you informed.

Craig Thompson
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Craig Thompson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:59 am

Oh my. Am I starting to slip down that proverbial slope?

I went back to the antique shop and bought two more pipes. Again $5 each.

The first one is marked is a rather small pipe marked "Forecaster, imported briar". In good condition. Might be good for trying out new tobacco blends.

The second I could not resist. I do not generally smoke straight long pipes but this one intrigues me. The only marking on it is "Handmade Denmark". The bit has a tooth hole and several tooth dents so it might need a new stem if I wanted to smoke it. Other than that it is in good condition. A good cleaning and it would be ready to smoke.

Is this an indication leading to a diagnosis of EPAD (estate pipe acquisition disorder, a subset of PAD)? I am in control. Really I am. (There is still two boxes with a bunch of straight pipes, a pot or two. I don't have a pot. I don't smoke straight pipes. But maybe I should go back again...)

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:14 am

Craig Thompson wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:59 am

That 2nd pipe is particularly intriguing.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams