Tobacco in the mouth?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
ryland
More of this
More of this

Tobacco in the mouth?

Post by ryland » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:31 pm

For a while now when my bowl starts to get to the bottom third, I'll tamp and then always have either ash or bits of tobacco in my mouth. I don't remember having this trouble before, but it seems to happen with every bowl now. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

Re: Tobacco in the mouth?

Post by JMG » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:05 pm

That's what you get for smoking, you foul sinner!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:18 am

ryland wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:31 pm
For a while now when my bowl starts to get to the bottom third, I'll tamp and then always have either ash or bits of tobacco in my mouth. I don't remember having this trouble before, but it seems to happen with every bowl now. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Are you at all sifting your prepared tobacco before loading? I like to first load the longer strands and pieces first to serve as a screen of the finer pieces I like to load on top. Also, though they are no longer available at Pipes & Cigars, I still have some Sharrow Philtpads I use regularly. Not only do they keep the smoke dry, these also screen stray bits of tobacco from entering the airway.

Last edited by Goose55 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:20 am

My smart-a suggestion would be to be sure to rid your mouth of Skoal or Copenhagen before smoking the pipe. But really, what you describe happens fairly frequently, depending on the amount of crumbs or fragments that settle down into the bowl. Happens especially when getting down to the bottom of a tin/pouch, etc. Also when I re-load a pipe without completely cleaning out the previous remnants. Start with a clean pipe, and tobacco fresh from a container, and it'll be ok.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:43 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:20 am
My smart-a suggestion would be to be sure to rid your mouth of Skoal or Copenhagen before smoking the pipe. But really, what you describe happens fairly frequently, depending on the amount of crumbs or fragments that settle down into the bowl. Happens especially when getting down to the bottom of a tin/pouch, etc. Also when I re-load a pipe without completely cleaning out the previous remnants. Start with a clean pipe, and tobacco fresh from a container, and it'll be ok.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the fragments. I've been smoking some blends I bought in large amounts of bulk and started with the last jar of each blend I jarred.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Does this happen with all of your pipes or just certain ones? If it’s all of them then it’s the cut of the tobacco and loading. If it’s certainly pipes then it may be the drilling. I have this problem but only with specific pipes. It can also be a both/and situation with the pipe and tobacco too.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:29 pm

When one notices ash and dottle spewing from the bit it means one's bowl is cashed and it's time to scrape and dump.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Don't smoke down so far. Smoking to the bottom is way over rated. Dump the bowl at 2/3. If you are Scotch you can save the dottle, dry it a little, and top off the next bowl with it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

FredS
Good enough for Trappists
Good enough for Trappists

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:35 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:20 am
Yes on all counts. Happens when I get down to the crumbs at the bottom of the tin/pouch/jar. The stuff I buy in bulk seems to have more crumbs when I get to the bottom of the jar, but proportionally it's probably no different than in a smaller tin or pouch. I carry pouched tobacco in my fishing bag and that seems to be the wort thing ever for reducing good tobacco to crumbs. I still smoke it though. I started chewing leaf tobacco when I was 14 years old and later switched to snuff so it's never been a bother when I get tobacco in my mouth from a pipe or cigar. Like Cleon said though, smoking to the bottom of the bowl or down to the 'fine gray ash' that all the reviewers like to crow about isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Like you did with that clingy gal in high school, dump it when it's no longer enjoyable.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:18 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:35 pm

...Like you did with that clingy gal in high school, dump it when it's no longer enjoyable.
:rotfl: :whistling: :whistling:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:11 pm

A mouthful of Redman is acceptable. :D
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."