Smoking lounges in your area

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Smoking lounges in your area

Post by Nature of a Man » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm

The other day my doctor told me about a tobacco shop in my town which has a casual lounge for pipe and cigar smokers to simply have a smoke and make conversation - I'd never heard of something like this before but it makes me want to check it out

(Earlier in life I used to visit local bars to chat and make conversation, but I stopped going there since I no longer drink, and found them a distracting environment for various reasons, but I always liked the idea of a low-key environment for a smoke and good conversation). I was wondering if anyone else here has heard of a place similar to that.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Smoking lounges in your area

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Lounges are good fun. Most of the tobacconists around here have lounges in one form or another. A couple of them in the area even allow their regular customers to access the lounge after hours without owner presence. They BYOB and buy cigars on their honor. At one point they were all open access, but some are going to a paid club-like membership. I spent years hanging out at one, but they moved to an upscale shopping center and went membership only. I just can't justify the expense.

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:43 pm
Lounges are good fun. Most of the tobacconists around here have lounges in one form or another. A couple of them in the area even allow their regular customers to access the lounge after hours without owner presence. They BYOB and buy cigars on their honor. At one point they were all open access, but some are going to a paid club-like membership. I spent years hanging out at one, but they moved to an upscale shopping center and went membership only. I just can't justify the expense.
Sounds like a fun time

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm turning my back patio into a bakky lounge. It's crude now but can seat many. Just have to sit on the garden wall. Not really conducive to conversation just yet but, I'll get a bean bag or two and it'll be great.

Come on over y'all!
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Madison, WI, has three smoking lounges.

But my favorite lounge is in Milwaukee. I make a pilgrimage there, every six months or so.Uhl
Uhle's Pipes & Cigars Since 1939.

I was in Milwaukee this October, at a convention of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre. The hotel was just a few blocks down the street. I managed to get away with a few guys every evening.

The place is a neighborhood hangout, filled with multi-cultural, bi-gendered charm.
https://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/20 ... r-and-son/

They do not sell alcohol, but they have a fridge and lockers where customers keep their own supplies. Or carry in. Or take the back hallway (reminiscent of Prohibition Days) to visit the bar next door for "take out."
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:00 pm

But my favorite lounge is in Milwaukee. I make a pilgrimage there, every six months or so.Uhl

I was in Milwaukee this October, at a convention of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre. The hotel was just a few blocks down the street. I managed to get away with a few guys every evening.
That place looks like it has a good atmosphere..

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:39 pm

In our town of less than 20,000, we are not blessed with such a facility; however, there are several pipe and tobacco shops around the state that provide this service. Unfortunately, none are nearby, though I have occasionally patronized a few that are within an hour's drive and have met other pipe smokers (some from CPS) for a smoke. Very enjoyable.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Del

Post by Del » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 am

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 pm
Del wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:00 pm

That place looks like it has a good atmosphere..
People make the atmosphere.

Grab a buddy and visit a local spot. With any luck, you will encounter a group of regulars who will warm up and welcome you like some long-lost relative.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 pm

I was in two smoking lounges yesterday. I spent 2 hours at our regular shop, in the morning. The few people there were interested in their computer, book or the TV. Glad I had my phone to entertain myself.

At noon, I was picked up for a carpool into Chicago to go to Iwan Ries. The CPCC had a special field trip to visit this shop. We all enjoyed several hours of talking, smoking and shopping. Too bad I didn't have my secret santa wish list. That would have been a great place to find some good blends.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:03 pm

When I lived in MD I used to visit the lounge in JB's garage.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:05 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:03 pm
Discussion of Cheesecake guy came up today... in context of veteran's day and celebrating the troops. Thanks for your service, friend.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

AnungUnRama
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AnungUnRama » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:16 pm

There's a joint here that's a cigar and martini lounge but their schedule and mine don't coincide. Not sure if they'd be ok with me bringing my pipe. Their cigar selection is thin but not terrible. I worked briefly at a cigar shop years ago and Evansville used to have three. Now they have one.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:20 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:05 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Discussion of Cheesecake guy came up today... in context of veteran's day and celebrating the troops. Thanks for your service, friend.
JB, make sure you smoke something expensive for the troops today. The more it costs, the more bullets we can buy.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:39 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:20 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:05 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
JB, make sure you smoke something expensive for the troops today. The more it costs, the more bullets we can buy.
You know I will!
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

michigander

Post by michigander » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 am

I'm still hung up on:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm
The other day my doctor told me about a tobacco shop...
I wish I had a doctor like that. :D

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:41 pm

Sadly, smoking lounges are not legal here. (Say "Marijuana good; tobacco bad." Repeat until you become a good citizen.)
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:39 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:41 pm
Sadly, smoking lounges are not legal here. (Say "Marijuana good; tobacco bad." Repeat until you become a good citizen.)

What if you smoked a hearty Latakia blend while wearing this hat? Would they notice?
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 am

The only smoking lounge in my immediate area isn't an actual lounge, but is the International Seafarers Center at the local port. Ive posted about it previously, they host a quarterly fundraiser dinner and cigar evening, but in the context of this thread, there is always a reserved corner table where 8 or 10 area medical doctor's sit. Some are young, some fairly old, but all are cigar smokers, and they appear to always have a great time. Of course, all of the tables appear to have a great time.
I really miss having a regular spot to smoke and visit and have a sip, like I had when I was working in Houston. One such spot (that no longer exists) was frequented by a couple of local celebrities, they didn't act different and weren't treated any different than anyone else, and it was always a great time when one or both were there.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:38 am

In Pensacola there are two. One is a cigar shop (carries a few pipes and some tins of Eric Stokkebye) that has three different smoking rooms inside and a patio outside. The other is a Cigar Factory Social Club. The original is in New Orleans and now they have opened up one in Pensacola about two blocks from the office.
https://www.cigarfactorysocialclub.com/
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

I've heard microwaved tobacco gets better if you wrap it in foil before you heat it up. - ryland

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:30 am

michigander wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 am
I'm still hung up on:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm
The other day my doctor told me about a tobacco shop...
I wish I had a doctor like that. :D
lol, I thought the same thing - he's a casual cigar smoker, but more or less in good health - I don't think he touches cigarettes (nor do I anymore).