Impressed by my experience at Iwan Reis

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
stoshdwalsh
Congregation
Congregation

Impressed by my experience at Iwan Reis

Post by stoshdwalsh » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:30 pm

As I’m new to pipe smoking and upon learning that Iwan Reis is only about 45 minutes from my house, I decided to make a trip there this morning and then spend some time at the Art Institute, which is only 2 blocks away.

Really glad I did. I know it’s a well known shop that has been around forever, but I don’t think I can recall having had such a personalized experience buying anything. I spent about 1.5 hours there with Douglas, who walked me through selecting my 2nd pipe (ended up with a nice Jonas estate pipe-pic below), and then had me use it to sample about 5 different tobaccos, landing on a favorite (Pirate Kake), and taking home a 2 oz sample of another blend I liked on the house.

Many things I loved about the experience—no condescension toward a new pipe smoker, pointed out several flaws in pipes and why he wouldn’t recommend I purchase them, asked about tastes and styles in terms of both pipes and tobaccos, and actually sold me the cheapest pipe I was considering instead of up selling or pushing house products.

Recommend the shop highly for anyone who is local or visiting, and as 50% of their business is online, would love to see them supported by others, as the city tax is supposed to go up to something like 36% soon, which will likely hamper walk in business considerably.

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Re: Impressed by my experience at Iwan Reis

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 pm

stoshdwalsh wrote:As I’m new to pipe smoking and upon learning that Iwan Reis is only about 45 minutes from my house, I decided to make a trip there this morning and then spend some time at the Art Institute, which is only 2 blocks away.

Really glad I did. I know it’s a well known shop that has been around forever, but I don’t think I can recall having had such a personalized experience buying anything. I spent about 1.5 hours there with Douglas, who walked me through selecting my 2nd pipe (ended up with a nice Jonas estate pipe-pic below), and then had me use it to sample about 5 different tobaccos, landing on a favorite (Pirate Kake), and taking home a 2 oz sample of another blend I liked on the house.

Many things I loved about the experience—no condescension toward a new pipe smoker, pointed out several flaws in pipes and why he wouldn’t recommend I purchase them, asked about tastes and styles in terms of both pipes and tobaccos, and actually sold me the cheapest pipe I was considering instead of up selling or pushing house products.

Recommend the shop highly for anyone who is local or visiting, and as 50% of their business is online, would love to see them supported by others, as the city tax is supposed to go up to something like 36% soon, which will likely hamper walk in business considerably.

That’s good stuff right there.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Nice.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:16 pm

Glad to hear that you had such a pleasant experience. There’s a reason Iwan Reiss has been around for 5 generations. And your pipe is gorgeous.

(I worked a couple of blocks up Wabash at Altman Camera back in the 70s.)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:27 pm

Wonderful people. Good to know it's still the same. Twenty years since I've been there.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:58 am

Glad to hear this. I was there 2 1/2 years ago and spent part of each of the 3 days at the shop. I had the same kind of experience, and I took advantage of the Smoking Room each day as well.

A great shop!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Iwan Reis always has an impressive booth display at the Chicago Pipe Show.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon