Impressed by my experience at Iwan Reis

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
stoshdwalsh
Congregation
Congregation

Impressed by my experience at Iwan Reis

Post by stoshdwalsh » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:30 pm

As I’m new to pipe smoking and upon learning that Iwan Reis is only about 45 minutes from my house, I decided to make a trip there this morning and then spend some time at the Art Institute, which is only 2 blocks away.

Really glad I did. I know it’s a well known shop that has been around forever, but I don’t think I can recall having had such a personalized experience buying anything. I spent about 1.5 hours there with Douglas, who walked me through selecting my 2nd pipe (ended up with a nice Jonas estate pipe-pic below), and then had me use it to sample about 5 different tobaccos, landing on a favorite (Pirate Kake), and taking home a 2 oz sample of another blend I liked on the house.

Many things I loved about the experience—no condescension toward a new pipe smoker, pointed out several flaws in pipes and why he wouldn’t recommend I purchase them, asked about tastes and styles in terms of both pipes and tobaccos, and actually sold me the cheapest pipe I was considering instead of up selling or pushing house products.

Recommend the shop highly for anyone who is local or visiting, and as 50% of their business is online, would love to see them supported by others, as the city tax is supposed to go up to something like 36% soon, which will likely hamper walk in business considerably.

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Re: Impressed by my experience at Iwan Reis

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 pm

stoshdwalsh wrote:As I’m new to pipe smoking and upon learning that Iwan Reis is only about 45 minutes from my house, I decided to make a trip there this morning and then spend some time at the Art Institute, which is only 2 blocks away.

Really glad I did. I know it’s a well known shop that has been around forever, but I don’t think I can recall having had such a personalized experience buying anything. I spent about 1.5 hours there with Douglas, who walked me through selecting my 2nd pipe (ended up with a nice Jonas estate pipe-pic below), and then had me use it to sample about 5 different tobaccos, landing on a favorite (Pirate Kake), and taking home a 2 oz sample of another blend I liked on the house.

Many things I loved about the experience—no condescension toward a new pipe smoker, pointed out several flaws in pipes and why he wouldn’t recommend I purchase them, asked about tastes and styles in terms of both pipes and tobaccos, and actually sold me the cheapest pipe I was considering instead of up selling or pushing house products.

Recommend the shop highly for anyone who is local or visiting, and as 50% of their business is online, would love to see them supported by others, as the city tax is supposed to go up to something like 36% soon, which will likely hamper walk in business considerably.

That’s good stuff right there.

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Nice.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:16 pm

Glad to hear that you had such a pleasant experience. There’s a reason Iwan Reiss has been around for 5 generations. And your pipe is gorgeous.

(I worked a couple of blocks up Wabash at Altman Camera back in the 70s.)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:27 pm

Wonderful people. Good to know it's still the same. Twenty years since I've been there.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:58 am

Glad to hear this. I was there 2 1/2 years ago and spent part of each of the 3 days at the shop. I had the same kind of experience, and I took advantage of the Smoking Room each day as well.

A great shop!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Iwan Reis always has an impressive booth display at the Chicago Pipe Show.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon