Stale tobacco

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Stale tobacco

Post by Nature of a Man » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:15 pm

I was wondering if leaving tobacco out in the air makes it stale or alters the taste. I normally keep mine in plastic bags, but sometimes forget to zip it shut, and to me the tobacco has a flatter taste when I light up a pipe.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Stale tobacco

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Short answer: yes.

And plastic bags are not good unless you’ll be smoking up the contents fairly quickly.
Air-tight glass jars are preferable.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:32 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 pm

And plastic bags are not good unless you’ll be smoking up the contents fairly quickly.
This.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Yep.

Those aromatic flavors are volatile. If you can smell your tobacco when you open your cabinet or drawer, then you are losing flavors that you were saving to smoke.

Go and buy a bunch of canning jars at your hardware store. You won't regret it. You can press 4 ounces (wt.) of ribbon tobacco into an 8 oz (volume) jar. Less for flakes, if you want to preserve the shape of the flake somewhat.

Ziplock baggies are great for filling with just enough the tobacco that you mean to smoke today. They collapse easily in your pocket. But they are not suitable for long-term storage.

However.... you can keep several little baggies of samples together in one canning jar. I have a jar with three samples right here, on my desk. (Used to be six.)
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon