2019 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

WEDNESDAY May 1, 2019
9 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required
12 pm Chicago Pipe Show 6,000 square foot smoking tent opens

THURSDAY May 2, 2019
8 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required
10 am Per Jensen Mac Baren Sutliff Tobacco Blending Seminar, Tent

FRIDAY May 3, 2019
8 am – 4 pm, Smoke and Swap, Tent (6 am vendor line up, 8 am set up)
9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for Virginia Flakes opens in the tent.
9:30 am – 4:30 pm Champagne Limo to Premium Outlet Mall, Hotel Lobby
12 pm – 5 pm Welcome Table, Hotel across from indoor/outdoor pool
3 pm – 5pm UPCA Annual Meeting, Ruby Room (Tower)
4 pm Mega Center Rich Esserman 1928 Dunhill Catalog New Printing Presentation Mega Center
7 pm – 10 pm Welcome Buffet Dinner, St. Charles Ballroom
7:30 pm presentations at Welcome Dinner
8:30 pm International Charatan Collectors Society, Ruby Room (Tower)
8:30 pm Ladies’ Tobacco Related Arts & Craft Program, Turquoise Room (Tower)
9: 00 pm The Making of the Peterson Pipe Book: The Story of the Peterson Pipe Book:
The Story of Kapp and Peterson. This will be followed by the showing of the vintage Sherlock Holmes Movie, House of Fear and a contest to name the pipes in the movie: Mega Center
9:00 pm Tim West Pipe Repairmen Forum, Jade Room (Tower)
9 pm Rob Cooper (Coopersark) State of the Market Estate Pipes & Tobacco, Sapphire Room (Tower)

SATURDAY May 4, 2019
7 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center
10 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center
10 am Peterson Pipe Historic Display
9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for Virginia Flakes opens in the Show.
11 am – 3+ pm Silent Auction, Mega Center
12 pm Private Ladies’ Luncheon for Exhibitors, St. Charles Ballroom Salons 5 & 6
7 pm The Chicago Feast Banquet, New Orleans Ballroom, pre-registration required
9 pm Doctor of Pipes and Master of Pipes Meeting, Arnold Palmer Suite (Tower)

SUNDAY MAY 5, 2019
6:30 – 9:30 am Pipe Show Breakfast, St. Charles Ballroom, Salons I, III, IV
8 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center
9 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center
11 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for Virginia Flake ends..
12 pm Show Awards Presentation, Mega Center
1 pm UPCA United States of America National Pipe Smoking Championship, Tent

MONDAY MAY 6, 2019
8 am – 12 pm Post Show, Terrace Café Area

Please keep in mind that all of the above activities are subject to change or cancellation, even at the last minute, due to illness or unforeseen circumstances.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Re: 2019 Chicago Pipe Show

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:47 am

I'll get there one of these days.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:19 am

With everything going on for us so far this year, it looks like Mrs. Gabriel and I will not make it to the show this year. If we do make it, we'd be driving up and back again on Saturday. Hopefully next spring doesn't include major surgery and we'll be there again. I'll miss passing around scotch and tobacco with Skip, Pepik, Wayne, and Del. (and anyone else that makes it, of course)
Sola Deo Gloria

smokadoro
NOOOOB!!!
NOOOOB!!!

Post by smokadoro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Relatively new CPS member here. Looks like my wife and I are going to make a 4-day 3-night vacation out of the Chicago pipe show. Arriving Thurs evening, driving back home on Sunday. Unfortunately have to miss the slow-smoke competition, which is a bummer - I would have loved to give it a go.

Would love to meet as many of you as are in attendance! First time attending such a large pipe show for me. Could use someone to show me the ropes as well.
Do not say "I agree," "I disagree" or "I suspend judgment" until you can say "I understand." ~Mortimer Adler

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am

First of all, make sure your wife knows all about the events for ladies. This will ensure that she will agree to make the trip again with you next year! My wife is teaching the ladies craft project on Friday night after the big meal.

Once you are settled in, grab some pipes and tobacco and go to the tent. Then sit down next to anyone that looks friendly. Start talking / smoking. Most people are willing to share tobacco, if you are also offering to share your tobacco.

As you introduce yourself, be sure to mention your handle for any pipe forums that you frequent.

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:51 pm

smokadoro wrote:Relatively new CPS member here. Looks like my wife and I are going to make a 4-day 3-night vacation out of the Chicago pipe show. Arriving Thurs evening, driving back home on Sunday. Unfortunately have to miss the slow-smoke competition, which is a bummer - I would have loved to give it a go.

Would love to meet as many of you as are in attendance! First time attending such a large pipe show for me. Could use someone to show me the ropes as well.
I look forward to seeing you there!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

smokadoro
NOOOOB!!!
NOOOOB!!!

Post by smokadoro » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:09 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:51 pm
smokadoro wrote:Relatively new CPS member here. Looks like my wife and I are going to make a 4-day 3-night vacation out of the Chicago pipe show. Arriving Thurs evening, driving back home on Sunday. Unfortunately have to miss the slow-smoke competition, which is a bummer - I would have loved to give it a go.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Likewise! :pipe3:
Do not say "I agree," "I disagree" or "I suspend judgment" until you can say "I understand." ~Mortimer Adler

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 am

It is presently around 8:00 am Wednesday 4/24, and the Smoking Tent does NOT open in exactly a week! It opens around noon, next Wednesday. Regardless of all the tables and comfy chairs already arraigned for smoking and conversations, the tent is not open until the Fire Marshall completes his final inspection.

Don't ask how I know this.

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:35 am

Still waiting on my plane ticket, Wayne... :whistling:
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:18 am

If you are wondering what to pack, it will be between 40's and 60's during the show. Since I don't like to use 4 letter words, I won't say what is supposed to fall this weekend.

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:37 am

smokadoro wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm
Relatively new CPS member here. Looks like my wife and I are going to make a 4-day 3-night vacation out of the Chicago pipe show. Arriving Thurs evening, driving back home on Sunday. Unfortunately have to miss the slow-smoke competition, which is a bummer - I would have loved to give it a go.

There are a few ways to meet up with the CPS gang.

1) There are a few guys wearing kilts. Any one of them might be DEL. Just ask. Especially the bald one.... who might also be wearing a fez, due to the cold forecast.

2) The show staffers all know WINTON, and they might even know where he is. Just ask. (You'd think that he would be conspicuous in his fishing gear jacket, but he just blends in.)

3) You can send a PM to any favorite CPS member in this thread and trade phone numbers. Then you can text each other on site.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:39 am

Winton wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:18 am
If you are wondering what to pack, it will be between 40's and 60's during the show. Since I don't like to use 4 letter words, I won't say what is supposed to fall this weekend.
Looks like long sleeves and long socks, this year.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:42 am

Next year, if Hugo and Goose attend, then God-willing, I will be there. And if Goose enters the smoking contest and there is side betting, then I will put my money on Goose. And if he wins, and I win, then I will buy drinks for all of the CPSers there.

Or, regardless, if they attend or not, I'll still plan to attend next year. I'll bring boudain and homemade whatever.

Anyway, hope you guys have a great time this year.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:57 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:42 am
Next year, if Hugo and Goose attend, then God-willing, I will be there. And if Goose enters the smoking contest and there is side betting, then I will put my money on Goose. And if he wins, and I win, then I will buy drinks for all of the CPSers there.

Or, regardless, if they attend or not, I'll still plan to attend next year. I'll bring boudain and homemade whatever.

I could really enjoy some grilled boudain.

kaydens
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by kaydens » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:36 pm

I'll be in Thursday afternoon through Sunday afternoon, helping out two pipe makers from Taiwan (Jerry Zenn and Yuwei Huang)
Look forward to seeing you all.
www.iBriar.com
Intuitive Browsing
Sensible Selection

"On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God."

~J. S. Bach

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:55 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:42 am

I'd bet on the regardless line. Chances of me going to Chicago, leaving three kids and a fragile wife behind, are rather slim.

They Google voice called me from the show one year. I lived vicariously.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:10 pm

smokadoro wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm

The ropes are simple. Have fun! This will be my 4th year there and I enjoy it to no end!
Plan on it taking at least a couple of hours to make it around the show on Saturday. If you like to talk to the exhibitors, you could spend all day in there. I like spending time in the smoking tent so I go through pretty quick and go back for anything I liked after a full lap, praying it is still there and I can remember where in tarnation it was.
We usually find each other in the smoking tent Friday afternoon and try to sit together at the Friday night buffet. Saturday morning we usually meet for breakfast before the show at Ihop. Friday night and all day Saturday there is typically a table in the tent with at least a couple CPSers so pull up a chair and enjoy the company.
I'm a 6' 2" 205 lb. redhead with friendly mutton chops. Based on the weather forecast, I'll probably be wearing plaid flannel shirts.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Somebody facetime me in when you guys are at the table.

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 pm

JMG wrote:Somebody facetime me in when you guys are at the table.
We need to make this happen! I wish you could make it this year! You're a cool dude!

JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Post by JMG » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:15 am

joegoat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 pm
JMG wrote:Somebody facetime me in when you guys are at the table.
We need to make this happen! I wish you could make it this year! You're a cool dude!

Likewise, bud. It was a bit surreal for me to actually meet a lot of you guys last year.