Czech Tool...

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general
JMG
CPS Missionary to PNG
CPS Missionary to PNG

Czech Tool...

Post by JMG » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:30 am

I know the Czech tool has become a mainstay in the pipe world and I, myself, tend to keep quite a few on hand. That said, however, I have a beef with them. And not just them, but any tamp whose tamp end has that sort of "foot". My problem with them is that because of the foot it tends to pick up some ash on its top end and pulls it out after tamping. The ash then, of course, goes where it pleases and gets all over everything. I probably handle it a bit to carelessly, but was wondering if anyone else has this problem? I prefer a tamper that is has a solid cylindrical tamp end instead of the foot.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Czech Tool...

Post by JimVH » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:08 am

I have the uncivilized habit of wiping the residual off the tamper onto my pants or shirttail near my pocket. I don’t usually even realize I do it until Rita reminds me to stop in her own gentle way, knowing all along I won’t listen.

I haven’t noticed a difference in ash amount from one tamper style to another, but I do agree that a clean radius is better than that silly fold over part of the Czech tool.

I’ve all but quit carrying Czech tools. I rarely use anything other than the tamper and the poker and shovel things just get caught up on other stuff in my pocket.

Most of the tampers I carry now are wooden. A couple even have a little cake built up that doesn’t wipe off.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:12 am

My favorite part of using a czech tool or any tamper is when I am kicked back in my recliner (eat your heart out) and fill up my pipe with some rubbed out flake packed loosely to the brim of the bowl and then I light it and the tobacco swells up like beer foam except it is smoldering and I carefully tamp it down but little bits of burning, glowing tobacco fly/float up and waft down on my belly which is usually (but now always) covered in a shirt and starts burning holes in it and then I panic and start beating out the embers on my belly and then I forget I'm holding a burning pipe and then even more embers fly out all over me so I cover the bowl with my thumb and burn it and then more embers fly out and I almost set my shirt on fire and then when I wear that shirt to church my friends think I'm a stoner because it looks like seed burns from smoking pot and then I write about it on CPS in the longest run on sentence ever so Hugodrax can make comments like, "punctuation is your friend".
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:12 am

I agree. I like the other part of the Czech tool though because every so often when I tamp, tobacco will get in front of the draft hole and I have use the small part of the tool to unblock it.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 am

I quit using my Czech tools about 7 or 8 years ago when I bought a Brebbia Pipe Nail. I now have several and it is all I use. The Czech tools have a history for sure, but the pipe nail works better for me.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 am

I have a Czech tool but rarely carry it. Every autumn I lop off a few pieces of fruit wood while pruning, about 3-1/2" long, dress the ends with a bit of scrap of sand paper and call it good. My favorite is a grapevine cut on the "knuckles"---I've had it for about 5 or 6 years now :D
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:13 am

I just give it a little tap tap on the rim of my pipe and I'm good. I like that it has that long poker which comes in handy to run down the sides of the bowl if the pack is too tight, or is burning unevenly.

Also, the "L" foot of this tool is very practical because it allows one to tamp the edges, keeping the ember smaller.
Last edited by Goose55 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 am

I have two czech tools - one that goes in my pocket with me wherever I go, and one that stays at home as a backup in case I should happen to lose the first one. I like them. I occasionally use a tamper I bought in Colonial Williamsburg, or an old 45-70 shell, but neither of those has the little pick that comes in handy from time to time. I don't really worry about it too much if a little bit of ash comes up out of the bowl with usage - it just comes with the territory of smoking a pipe.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:48 am

I dont use a Czech tool anymore. Not for the reason you stated but I have no use for the poker or the scraper.

I prefer a wood tamper or my finger.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 am

Adam Z wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 am
I have two czech tools - one that goes in my pocket with me wherever I go, and one that stays at home as a backup in case I should happen to lose the first one. I like them. I occasionally use a tamper I bought in Colonial Williamsburg, or an old 45-70 shell, but neither of those has the little pick that comes in handy from time to time. I don't really worry about it too much if a little bit of ash comes up out of the bowl with usage - it just comes with the territory of smoking a pipe.
I like using an old shell casing too!
I've got a piece of .30-30 brass around someplace.
It' fun to see the reaction of people.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:51 am

A golf tee works good
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm

I'm doing some consulting work for a Czech tool. As of Friday, I'm done. :cheese: