McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Re: Who Smokes A Pipe?

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:32 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:40 am
If my time in the shop has taught me anything, weirdos, eccentrics, and goofballs.

My kind o' folks.
Which explains why you hang out here.
Bud, I know I'm a goofball. I'm glad you all put up with me.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

rgcurrey
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
If my time in the shop has taught me anything, weirdos, eccentrics, and goofballs.

My kind o' folks.
Well I'm two of the three. Which two is entirely up to the one deciding.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected." William Makepeace Thackeray

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:03 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

My kind o' folks.
I was talking about Uncle Bob. All the rest of us are perfectly normal.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

My kind o' folks.
Lord knows I spent much time in the shop and know my ration of goofballs, weirdos, and eccentrics.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:47 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:30 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

My kind o' folks.
Lord knows I spent much time in the shop and know my ration of goofballs, weirdos, and eccentrics.
A_Morley wrote:.

I also find that I do not like men who conspicuously favor massive pipes. They tend to be fat, awkward, poorly dressed people with limited vocabularies and irritating opinions. Honestly, when I ran a tobacco shop, I made it a point to observe the characteristics of various pipe smoking customers. Those big pipe guys were little better than philistines, I tell you. Just the worst. Piggish, grunting sub-humans who would come in making wheezing noises and saying things like,

"Howdy, young feller. Do ya' work here? Ya do? Young guy like you? You ain't old enough to smoke. So, do ya have that Rob's Blend? What do ya mean you ain't heard of Rob's Blend? I gets it all a' the time over at Rob's Baccy and Bait Shop over in Bumblescum County. 'Likely a re-branded domestic bulk tobacco?' What th' heck's that 'spose to mean? Those is some five dollar words, them is."

Then, when I would give him some goddamn 1Q or RLP-6, old Billy Bob Beachball Gut with a Budweiser hat would pull out the biggest, ugliest pipe I had ever seen and use his non-opposable thumb to pack his bowl and, after firing that big bastard up with a pipe zippo, he would usually say something like,

"Well, if that don't beat all. I thought you said you didn't have Rob's Blend, but this is Rob's Blend sure as my cousin's my common law wife. Give me five bucks worth."

Dammit. Why did you have to make me remember that? This is why I hate you all.
This post is so stinking true.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

DAN
Minister to Occupy Democrats

Post by DAN » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
All the rest of us are perfectly normal.
I really don't see how you arrived at this conclusion.
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:55 pm

DAN wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:49 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
I personally resent any comparison to normal.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:47 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

My kind o' folks.

I also find that I do not like men who conspicuously favor massive pipes. They tend to be fat, awkward, poorly dressed people with limited vocabularies and irritating opinions. Honestly, when I ran a tobacco shop, I made it a point to observe the characteristics of various pipe smoking customers. Those big pipe guys were little better than philistines, I tell you. Just the worst. Piggish, grunting sub-humans who would come in making wheezing noises and saying things like,

"Howdy, young feller. Do ya' work here? Ya do? Young guy like you? You ain't old enough to smoke. So, do ya have that Rob's Blend? What do ya mean you ain't heard of Rob's Blend? I gets it all a' the time over at Rob's Baccy and Bait Shop over in Bumblescum County. 'Likely a re-branded domestic bulk tobacco?' What th' heck's that 'spose to mean? Those is some five dollar words, them is."

Then, when I would give him some goddamn 1Q or RLP-6, old Billy Bob Beachball Gut with a Budweiser hat would pull out the biggest, ugliest pipe I had ever seen and use his non-opposable thumb to pack his bowl and, after firing that big bastard up with a pipe zippo, he would usually say something like,

"Well, if that don't beat all. I thought you said you didn't have Rob's Blend, but this is Rob's Blend sure as my cousin's my common law wife. Give me five bucks worth."

Yep.

Do you get conspiracy theorists? My first week on the job, I sold a pipe and a pound of 1Q to a fellow who then spent over 30 minutes explaining (in some detail) how the Democrats were conspiring with the RCC and the Soviets ( it was1993) to bring about a one-world communist government. I had never heard anything like it! After he left, Bert walked up to me and asked, "You believe that guy?" I said, "No, but I believe that he believes it!"

My education had commenced.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:19 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:55 pm
DAN wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:49 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
I personally resent any comparison to normal.
Proof that you are normal.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:20 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:00 pm
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

My kind o' folks.

Yep.

Do you get conspiracy theorists? My first week on the job, I sold a pipe and a pound of 1Q to a fellow who then spent over 30 minutes explaining (in some detail) how the Democrats were conspiring with the RCC and the Soviets ( it was1993) to bring about a one-world communist government. I had never heard anything like it! After he left, Bert walked up to me and asked, "You believe that guy?" I said, "No, but I believe that he believes it!"

Well was he right or not?

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:31 pm

That’s what it’s like being a beer salesman who is very passionate about the product and the history. Oh, you’re 50 and you’ve drank a lot of beer therefore you know a lot about it? I’m too young to know anything about beer? Got it. Have another Mich Golden and teach me your ways. :yes:
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

DAN

Post by DAN » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:45 pm

I like to be cautious with what I say about these things. I don't generally care for aromatics, Bud Light, and blended Scotch myself, but the reality is that these products satisfy millions of people every day and keep whole industries afloat. Where would the pipe tobacco industry be without 1Q and Captain Black? What would gross sales be like without it? And some of those people will eventually go on to enjoy ODF and the like and help us keep our favorites in production.
I don't always choose sig lines just to tick someone off, but when I do, it's on CPS.

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:00 pm
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

My kind o' folks.

Yep.

Oh, my, yes. I’ve developed a deep distrust of those that exclusively smoke Stokkebye’s Black Coffee as a result. They seem to gravitate towards it. The other day we had a fellow that epitomizes the breed. Black sweatshirt, black jeans, black boots, shaved head. Large black dog of the lurcher variety, deeply conflicted: you’ve met dogs that have had a bipolar owner, I’m sure...wanted to sniff you and get loved up at the same time as he wanted to bite your pecker off.

Anyway, he’s milling about the tobacco and both of us that worked there were eyeing the dog very carefully. The conversation in the shop shifted to Walter Cronkite and the fellow turns around in slow motion and says “Don’t be snowballed by Walter Fuggin’ Cronkite...sumbeach was Johnson’s right hand man in the Kennedy assasination. Give me six ounces of Black Coffee.”

I’ll bet you a not inconsiderable modicum of BLWB you can tell me what color and style of vehicle he was driving?
—Marcus Aurelius

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:51 am
Oh, I thought this was going to be what sort of man smokes a pipe. Good job avoiding that one, sir!

I put daily because its daily. Somedays more, somedays even more, but daily.
Agreed, and agreed.
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:52 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:23 pm
I’ll bet you a not inconsiderable modicum of BLWB you can tell me what color and style of vehicle he was driving?
He was driving a black pickup truck. Probably a Chevy but maybe a Dodge if he realizes Daimler Chrysler is a German company.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:56 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:52 am
hugodrax wrote:
He was driving a black pickup truck. Probably a Chevy but maybe a Dodge if he realizes Daimler Chrysler is a German company.
No.

Hint: You could smell the fear and desperation coming from the interior at 15 yards
—Marcus Aurelius

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:14 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:56 am
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
No.

Hint: You could smell the fear and desperation coming from the interior at 15 yards
A white Prius?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:14 am
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
No.

A white Prius?
White is correct. Now think inside the box.
—Marcus Aurelius

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 am
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
No.

A white Prius?
Element?

(This is getting to be like that "guess the pipe maker" game we used to play.)

hugodrax
McMuffins & 'Murica!
McMuffins & 'Murica!

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:01 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 am
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
No.

A white Prius?
Element?

(This is getting to be like that "guess the pipe maker" game we used to play.)
I want to give bob one guess before I tell you all just to see if theres a universality at play or not. Sorry to hijack the thread
—Marcus Aurelius